Mayweather Mitt work all shallow?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
    right, right. got you

I don't work for anyone. So im not familiar with these types of restrictions. It's a childish way of life
    No it's called RESPECT. What if one of my guys doesn't want to be on some boxing forum? Or the head trainer doesn't either?

I can't just put people on here without telling them, that wouldn't be cool of me. Gyms like Robert Garcia and Wild Card are already on tv so it's different. I don't want to over step my boundaries.

But hey, maybe I can make a video of myself training someone and then put some really bad rap music in the back ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      No it's called RESPECT. What if one of my guys doesn't want to be on some boxing forum? Or the head trainer doesn't either?

I can't just put people on here without telling them, that wouldn't be cool of me. Gyms like Robert Garcia and Wild Card are already on tv so it's different. I don't want to over step my boundaries.

But hey, maybe I can make a video of myself training someone and then put some really bad rap music in the back ground.
      Doubt you're a trainer, though. Just from the fact that your thread is derived from that article.

Comment

3) The pad holder actually threw shots back aiming for the boxer rather than tapping him on the shoulder (as most pad holders I have watched do)?

DUE TO ALL RESPECT
        Of course this is providing your boxer knows the routine or pattern that both of you are used to...I believe if you deliberately try to randomly smack him on the nose or head with the pad, using differnt lead outside the pattern which you both used to, it will land 100% of the time because in that range he won't have time to avoid it. Would that be correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Live2box View Post
          3) The pad holder actually threw shots back aiming for the boxer rather than tapping him on the shoulder (as most pad holders I have watched do)?

DUE TO ALL RESPECT
          Of course this is providing your boxer knows the routine or pattern that both of you are used to...I believe if you deliberately try to randomly smack him on the nose or head with the pad, using differnt lead outside the pattern which you both used to, it will land 100% of the time because in that range he won't have time to avoid it. Would that be correct?
          Watch from 1:40...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nRoiNTpXyM

Comment

Originally posted by Live2box View Post

DUE TO ALL RESPECT
            I not sure if this post is aimed at me, but in case it is, I will clarify.

Yes - In most cases if the pad holder deliberately tried to randomly hit boxer at that range he would hit him most of the time fairly easily if it wasn't part of the pre-learned sequence.

Take the shoulder roll defense against a right hand for example. In my original criticism, I was referring to when most pad holders (I have watched), don't throw a realistic right hand for the boxer to defend against even when this is part of the rehearsed sequence. Most of the time the right hand wouldn't land even if the boxer did nothing. What I see is the pad holder pretending to hit the boxer with a right hand and the boxer pretending to defend it with something resembling a shoulder roll. Instead of throwing a realistic right hand aimed for the target, most pad holders seem to do what I call a shoulder tap - They just pat the boxer on the shoulder with the mitt and the boxer simply moves his shoulder slightly towards the pad but remains too square to actually block a real attack.

When I say the pad holder should throw a REALISTIC right hand, I'm not expecting them to put any real power on it, but I would expect them to throw it towards the target to ensure the boxer rotates far enough to defend and then counters from a realistic position.

If anything is unclear, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
              From 2:35 to 2:50 - I think this is VERY good pad work. This is pretty much how believe this type of pad work should be done.

It's not exactly how I would do it, but here it actually replicates a realistic scenario to some extent. This is what I have been trying to explain through out my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
                From 2:35 to 2:50 - I think this is VERY good pad work. This is pretty much how believe this type of pad work should be done.

It's not exactly how I would do it, but here it actually replicates a realistic scenario to some extent. This is what I have been trying to explain through out my posts.
                Great, I couldn't care less what you've been trying to explain, because clearly, if you were an actual trainer and understand that style of mitt work, you would have known that any fighter that Roger, Sr., or Jeff trains will load up on their shots mixed in throughout that routine. I told you in a earlier post that their pupils would do this (i.e. Mickie Bey, Vargas, Forbes, etc.) but you chose to troll.

Anyway, the point of that was to address your alt's idea that defense is rehearsed. As you can see from 1:40 on, Roger was trying to take Jr.'s head off and the defensive mechanisms utilized in that mitt work prevented that from happening. Funny how everybody's landing percentage on Jr. is less than 16% all-time, but throwing 1-2-3-4 with power behind it is somehow a better form of mitt work to use.
                Last edited by deejd; 12-28-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Great, I couldn't care less what you've been trying to explain, because clearly,
                  Lol ... I have gathered that already given the number of times I have had to repeat myself.

if you were an actual trainer and understand that style of mitt work, you would have known that any fighter that Roger, Sr., or Jeff trains will load up on their shots mixed in throughout that routine. I told you in a earlier post that their pupils would do this (i.e. Mickie Bey, Vargas, Forbes, etc.) but you chose to troll.

I don't particularly care what these top boxers do. That has never been an issue for me. The issue has always been in relation to relative novices learning bad habits.

Regardless, in many of the internet trainers videos you don't see much of this (i.e. Coach Rick, Barry Robinson etc), just square on, tip - tap, chin in the air choreography.

Anyway, the point of that was to address your alt's idea that defense is rehearsed. As you can see from 1:40 on, Roger was trying to take Jr.'s head off and the defensive mechanisms utilized in that mitt work prevented that from happening. Funny how everybody's landing percentage on Jr. is less than 16% all-time, but throwing 1-2-3-4 with power behind it is somehow a better form of mitt work to use.
                  Lol.

Comment

I not sure if this post is aimed at me, but in case it is, I will clarify.

Yes - In most cases if the pad holder deliberately tried to randomly hit boxer at that range he would hit him most of the time fairly easily if it wasn't part of the pre-learned sequence.

Take the shoulder roll defense against a right hand for example. In my original criticism, I was referring to when most pad holders (I have watched), don't throw a realistic right hand for the boxer to defend against even when this is part of the rehearsed sequence. Most of the time the right hand wouldn't land even if the boxer did nothing. What I see is the pad holder pretending to hit the boxer with a right hand and the boxer pretending to defend it with something resembling a shoulder roll. Instead of throwing a realistic right hand aimed for the target, most pad holders seem to do what I call a shoulder tap - They just pat the boxer on the shoulder with the mitt and the boxer simply moves his shoulder slightly towards the pad but remains too square to actually block a real attack.

When I say the pad holder should throw a REALISTIC right hand, I'm not expecting them to put any real power on it, but I would expect them to throw it towards the target to ensure the boxer rotates far enough to defend and then counters from a realistic position.

If anything is unclear, let me know.
                    Got it. Yes I do the same. What some of my fellow trainers do was making it too easy for the boxer to avoid (by hooking the pad too high or short off the mark) but yeah still known routine to both me and my boxer. Are we on the same page?

Comment

Lol ... I have gathered that already given the number of times I have had to repeat myself.

I don't particularly care what these top boxers do. That has never been an issue for me. The issue has always been in relation to relative novices learning bad habits.

Regardless, in many of the internet trainers videos you don't see much of this (i.e. Coach Rick, Barry Robinson etc), just square on, tip - tap, chin in the air choreography.

Lol.
                      So how are those perfect, textbook technique champions coming along that you train? Some footage of your work would be great to learn from, so let's see it.

Comment

Working...
                      X