Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training for power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Tyson never lifted weights until he was in prison. Cus had him doing plyometrics all the time. Then there's Holyfeild who lifted weights all the time. I'd say weight lifting is good to get to a certain size, getting to big just slows you down.

Comment

Originally posted by buff_mike10
      Mike Tyson never lifted weights until he was in prison. Cus had him doing plyometrics all the time. Then there's Holyfeild who lifted weights all the time. I'd say weight lifting is good to get to a certain size, getting to big just slows you down.
      tyson didnt?, why did he got so much muscles on his arms in his prime then?. if he did lifted weights after was in prison that explain why he was so slow. he lifted to much i guess. i knew holyfield lifted weights that was obviosly when you look at his body. i agree with you its good to get to a certain size, holyfield was a light heavyweight he did need to go up a little bit. but how did he train so his arms looks much bigger than his legs?.

Comment

You gotta learn how to hit with perfect timing. Ask BRUCE Lee.

Comment

I don't think lifting weights give you power, and for me there are 2 differnt things, power and strengh. Like trinidad, I don't think he be lifting weights, Vargas on the other hand looks like he does. And ya know what happen'd there. I think some of the guys in here that weight 160 bench press more than me, but that doesn't mean they've more power. I have a friend who's a cop and he weights 155 and he could beat me in arm wrestling, but when we went to Coney Island, you ever seen one of those things where it has a speed bag and you punch it and it tells you how much power you have? Well he punched it and he score like 500 and when I hit it I had like 900. And I can't beat him in arm wrestling. go figure.

Comment

Power primarily comes from speed and the technique that you use to deliver your punches.

Comment

weights do help in power if used correctly
              but bunching dont show how hard u punch
              ur muscles used to punch dont come from bench press actually
              u dont need chest to punch hard, it's mostly from ur body not ur arms, only shoulders

haha i got small ass ppl that can KILL me in arm wrestling
              but i punch 1000 times harder than them

Comment

punching power comes from both strength and speed... to be "powerful" does not necesarrily mean to be "stong" in the sense of being able to bench 300 #'s... in something like punching, the amoutn of force you able to produce in that split second is much more important than the amount of force you could produce over time... hence why plyometrics is so important for power.. you teach your muscles to produce a lot of force in a short amount of time. this does not mean that strength is not a factor as well... if you incorparte heavy lifting with plyometrics, you'll be able to produce even more strength in that short amount of time...

i could have sworn i heard holyfield did only bodyweight excersises... i may be wrong though

Comment

"i could have sworn i heard holyfield did only bodyweight excersises... i may be wrong though"

Holyfield trained with ex mr olympia, lee haney. I assume they weren't just doing pushups and situps. He also used to do alot of wierd, very specific exercises with weights. I cant remember exacty what they were but I remember seeing it on the news once. Oh and I live in Atlanta and we used to get alot of Holyfield coverage during the sports. He even got a parade once, like the falcons or braves. That was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mickst3r
                    punching power comes from both strength and speed... to be "powerful" does not necesarrily mean to be "stong" in the sense of being able to bench 300 #'s... in something like punching, the amoutn of force you able to produce in that split second is much more important than the amount of force you could produce over time... hence why plyometrics is so important for power.. you teach your muscles to produce a lot of force in a short amount of time. this does not mean that strength is not a factor as well... if you incorparte heavy lifting with plyometrics, you'll be able to produce even more strength in that short amount of time...

i could have sworn i heard holyfield did only bodyweight excersises... i may be wrong though
                    i aree Plyo's are the ticket. you can use weights in plyo's as well. plyo's help to develope the mind muscle connection, teaching slow twitch muscles to react more like fast twitch. you can't change the amount of slow twitch or fast twitch muscle fibers your born with, but you can train to get quicker muscle response. I just dropped a post on another thread about this, try checking out Adam Archuleta freak of trainning dvd.Archuleta used mostly plyo types of exercises to build speed and power, You might be able to find more on the net by searching Jay Shroeder he was Archuletas trainer

Comment

While I think weight training can help someone in boxing if done properly, I do believe punchers are born not made. Anyone can improve their power of course. But I do think it is largely a natural thing. Such as you either have it or you dont type of a deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X