No announcement yet.

How do you take a punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you take a punch?

I had my first sparring session today and I almost got KTFO'd. Fortunately, I survived without getting knocked down. The problem is that my opponent is about 12 lbs smaller than me yet he managed to hurt me. I guess I have a weak chin. I know the best way to protect a glass jaw is with improved defense but now I want to talk about taking a punch.

What are some advice on taking punches? Is there anyway to improve a chin? What do you do when you get hurt/stunned? and how do you roll with punches?

Sorry for the terrible English, not my first language.

Most coaches say that there are 3 things you are born with and tend to agree.

1 - Chin
    2 - Power
    3 - Speed

You can improve your speed and power to a certain extent but to have that Julian Jackson one punch power or Sugar Ray Leonard speed, you need to be born with it.

As far as chin, I don't think you can improve that. Some can take a punch, some can't. Now some coaches think that working the neck muscles will improve your chin but I haven't seen enough evidence of this to actually work. Since the points on the chin that knock you out are on the point of the chin, and right under the ear basically where the jaw meets the base of the skull.

Best thing to do is not get hit flush my friend. Keep those hands up and work on movement. So even if you do get hit, they aren't flush shots that will hurt you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
      I had my first sparring session today and I almost got KTFO'd. Fortunately, I survived without getting knocked down. The problem is that my opponent is about 12 lbs smaller than me yet he managed to hurt me. I guess I have a weak chin. I know the best way to protect a glass jaw is with improved defense but now I want to talk about taking a punch.

What are some advice on taking punches? Is there anyway to improve a chin? What do you do when you get hurt/stunned? and how do you roll with punches?

really you've probably reacted poorly because you've never truly been hit before. Go back to the drawing board, give it a few weeks, and you'll feel much better about taking a shot. Make sure you're wearing your head gear, mouth piece and that he's wearing bigger gloves (though I don't think that helps much with punch resistance).

Comment

if you're stunned you can punch back, clinch or get the hell out of dodge (do not move in straight lines).

until you're able to take the shots better i suggest you move or clinch and keep your back away from the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by nagabilly View Post
          i had my first sparring session today and i almost got ktfo'd. Fortunately, i survived without getting knocked down. The problem is that my opponent is about 12 lbs smaller than me yet he managed to hurt me. I guess i have a weak chin. I know the best way to protect a glass jaw is with improved defense but now i want to talk about taking a punch.

What are some advice on taking punches? Is there anyway to improve a chin? What do you do when you get hurt/stunned? And how do you roll with punches?

Sorry for the terrible english, not my first language.
          khan?? Is that you??!!

Comment

how did he catch you and what weight in gloves where you wearing?

As teddy atlas would say you have to turn that light on in that dark room.

I remember covering up too much to the point where I couldn't see. then my friend caught me with a left hook behind the ear. So when i feel i'm getting swarmed i make sure i can see where and at what angle the punches are coming. then i slip out using footwork and get back to the jab.

getting buzzed usually means poor form and execution when you spar.

Comment

You need to spend time on your neck muscles and shoulders. The easiest and oldest exercise is to do resistance movements with a towel! The resistance movements need to be done using every angle and with varing degrees of pressure. Your road work and leg exercises need to be upgraded to add more strength and durability to help your chin "stand up"! Also try tucking it! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post

Coach Corso gave great advice about building a stronger neck.

I suggest you also have your trainer help you develop your eyes. Good eyes will help you see the punchers better. Seen what's coming will help you deal with them a lot better. So work on a guard in which your eyes are your first line of defense.

Almost every situation in the ring can be simulated in training, :55-3:55 is a shadowboxing drill you can do to simulate that situation and help you prepare for it. Doing it 1 time won't help though. Practice makes almost perfect.

If you have any questions, fire away

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
                  Coach Corso gave great advice about building a stronger neck.

I suggest you also have your trainer help you develop your eyes. Good eyes will help you see the punchers better. Seen what's coming will help you deal with them a lot better. So work on a guard in which your eyes are your first line of defense.

Almost every situation in the ring can be simulated in training, :55-3:55 is a shadowboxing drill you can do to simulate that situation and help you prepare for it. Doing it 1 time won't help though. Practice makes almost perfect.

If you have any questions, fire away
                  Hey coach, just a question. How many pro fighters have you made into champs?

Also, what was your record as a pro?

Just curious.

Comment

a strong neck will help you to absorb punches better.

the towel resistance is good.

you can try laying on a table or the edge of the ring with your head hanging off. just lift it up and down (all the way back and then put your chin to your chest), keeping your head parallel to the floor turn your head right and left. Then go back to the up and down again and repeat for 2-3 rounds. Your ****s gonna burn but work through it.

Somebody mentioned that you are new and that it will take time to get used to getting punched in the face. Pretty soon you will be walking right through those same shots.

How do I take a punch? Bitterly...............Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X