No announcement yet.

How do you take a punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
    I had my first sparring session today and I almost got KTFO'd. Fortunately, I survived without getting knocked down. The problem is that my opponent is about 12 lbs smaller than me yet he managed to hurt me. I guess I have a weak chin. I know the best way to protect a glass jaw is with improved defense but now I want to talk about taking a punch.

What are some advice on taking punches? Is there anyway to improve a chin? What do you do when you get hurt/stunned? and how do you roll with punches?

Sorry for the terrible English, not my first language.
    I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage.

As you gain experience you will see more shots coming and learn to roll with the punch to take the sting off it (or at least brace yourself for the impact).

As you are a beginner, I would guess you got caught with your chin in the air and you didn't see the punch coming (from either covering your eyes with your guard or having your eyes shut, or both)

Another thing, the more you get hit the better you are able to deal with it mentally. I remember the first time I got hit hard - I panicked like hell and mentally made into a much bigger issue than it was. Now when I get hit with similar shots, it's no big deal most of the time, even though the physical effects are the same.

Also, if you get hit hard, clean on the button, it's going to mess you up no matter how good your chin is (this includes Margarito, Froch etc).

Oh, and just because your opponent was lighter than you, it doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to hurt you.

It's way too early to be concluding you have a weak chin at this stage.

Good luck with your next sparring session mate !!!

Comment

it was your first sparring session?...your definitely not gonna be used to getting hit, your probably blinking at every punch, etc..

all it takes is more sparring, more experience..trust me.

Comment

Its your first time, youll get use to it.

Keep your chin tucked btw.

Comment

Just don't sweat em man, pain is only weakness leaving the body.

Comment

Chin

Sheeezzz, lot of scary things people sayn on here.... Im going to quote Sugar Ray Robinson when asked about how to take a shot. 'never take it clean' This means you have to roll the shot. All this stuff about necks and genetics and being tough thats all got its place, but make no mistake for your health if you have to spar, tuck your chin right next to your shoulder, and practice turning your face like if you got slapped. Even Evander got dropped by Ruiz on a shot he didn't see, and he took EVERYONE'S punch... ROLL

Comment

Make sure you tuck your chin in and keep a nice tight guard.

Comment

some ppl have said you should strenghten your neck, thats great advice.

others will say theres nothing you can do to improve your chin, thats bull****.

there are plenty of things you can do to improve your chin, lets start with the physical things.

- improving neck strenght like mentioned, it will reduce the whiplash effect when you get his and make your brain move around you skull less when you get hit. thus making you absorb punches better.

- improving stamina. this is very overlooked but is key in taking punches. ever notice how fighters with great chins were also known for having great stamina? being in good shape wont change the effect of a punch once it connects, but it will make a huge diffrence in how long it will take to recover. a punch that would put you down for the count out of shape might only be a flash knockdown when you are in good shape.

- get stronger legs. the first thing effected by a punch is your legs, if you have weak legs you will get staggered by punches without getting dizzy. by getting stronger legs that will change, it wont help you from getting knocked cold though.

technical point of view.

- keep your chin down! tbh you shouldnt even be sparring unless you do this already, but if you are make sure you learn. the lower the chin the better, try to keep it all the way in your chest.

- roll with punches. move with the punch to take the steam of it. takes experience, confidence and skill (mainly timing). its really a priceless attribute to have though.

- stay relaxed. the more tight you are the more of an effect punches will have and it really makes a huge diffrence. since its your first time sparring dont worry about this just yet though, it will come with experience. but once you start feeling comftorable in the ring start looking to relax more. staying relaxed is key when rolling with punches.

-punching technique. this wont acctually make your chin better but it will make a diffrecne in how much power you absorb from you oponent. make sure you dont throw you head forward or side to side when you punch. twist your upperbody for power but keep your head in the same position, otherwise you might run into shots causing them to have double effect.

mental aspect.

- toughness. dont underestimate the value of simply telling yourself you can take a good punch, how you react mentally to punches will effect how you react physicly. it will help you see the punches coming too which is vital in absorbing them.

obviously you have to be aware that you cant take any punch and not be overconfident. no matter how confident you are the body still has its limit, but by having too much doubt that limit will be lower. ever notice how most iron jawed fighters also had the heart of a lion?

Comment

Also, Chew gum, all the time. Eat beaf jerky, Chew on leather... Strengthen that muscle at the hinge of the jaw.

Comment

i sparred this weekend, 3 rounds i was tired as hell and never really hurt just had trouble not getting hit when my opponent attacked me and pushed me back to the ropes! i need help in this area!

i think conditioning helps a lot when it comes to the chin, oxygen to the brain n stuff like that is what u need to study, alot of times ur body reacting to the punch and circulation to the brain goes hand n hand with how fast u recover! so try to look some of that stuff up!

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
                      Also, Chew gum, all the time. Eat beaf jerky, Chew on leather... Strengthen that muscle at the hinge of the jaw.
                      and oil pulling

Comment

Working...
                      X