No announcement yet.

Fasting after morning run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trigg Happpy! View Post
    I read the above post and it's the dumbest shet I've ever read. You should post a picture of yourself so we can see what kind of shape you're in.
    Not sure why you are getting so mad. If its the same dude as the old Trigger Happy then I guess I understand it. Bit sensitive.

As I said, I recommend going and reading what the experts in the field of bodybuilding nutrition (Alan Aragon would be a good place to start) have to say about nutrient timing. Again, your comment that he needs protein asap clearly demonstrates that you have a very limited knowledge of basic nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
      There is no "window". That is a myth that was generated by supplement companies to promote their products that has since been disproved by scientific studies.

Personally I would not recommend fasting for several hours after an intense training session, but that is purely because I am hungry. I eat when I am hungry. The most recent and credible scientific studies demonstrate that nutrient timing is of either no or very little significance (in terms of weight loss/gain, body composition) unless the athlete is engaging in regular and intense endurance training (for instance a marathon runner).

If you are advocating he eat after running to maintain his energy levels for later in the day, then I am not disagreeing with you. However, its down to his personal preference. If his energy levels are still ok fasting for several hours after his run and not eating until lunch time, then there is absolutely no problem with it.

By the way, with regards to nutrition, the "books" that you own are most likely filled with complete rubbish. Personally I would recommend perusing the 'Nutrition' section of the bodybuilding.com site, and in particular the stickied threads in that section. These provide a good overview of the key aspects of nutrition, including pre and post-workout nutrition.

I'm a competing local runner. A subscriber to running publications and an avid reader of running books. The 'window' is not something I've read about in the latest 'Maximuscle leaflet etc. It is well known and referred to in just about every running book/publication I've come across.

I can't guess where you might have stumbled on your information. But I think I'll take the advice of what I've read, rather than that of a poster without any credentials.

The books I read are full of information provided by established world class coaches and Olympic athletes, in tandem with long established publications such as Runners World. Their methods have been tried and tested for decades and are backed up with improvements in human performance every Olympic games.

The 'eat only when you are hungry' motif does not relate to runners who run daily. The thread starter does run daily and will clearly need refueling shortly after his runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
        Not sure why you are getting so mad. If its the same dude as the old Trigger Happy then I guess I understand it. Bit sensitive.

As I said, I recommend going and reading what the experts in the field of bodybuilding nutrition (Alan Aragon would be a good place to start) have to say about nutrient timing. Again, your comment that he needs protein asap clearly demonstrates that you have a very limited knowledge of basic nutrition.

Body building is not running and has very little impact on boxing/running training which pertains to people on this site.

Nutrient timing may well be different for body builders. Body builders focus on muscle growth and lowering body fat to show levels.....nothing like the sort of athletic performance required of a boxer or runner.

Comment

Working...
        X