No announcement yet.

My first Amateur Bout (video)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
    I used to play a boxing game as a kid where you could fight outside surrounded by trees. Nice to see it in real life at last

The negatives I noticed:

There were times when you'd move backwards without throwing until he'd already closed the distance. Nothing wrong with boxing on the back foot but you should try to be a bit more active with your jab and use it to control range. For example in the first round, at 1:10 you are in the centre of the ring, but then by 1:17 you back yourself into a corner without throwing any punches and that's when you get caught and end up taking a standing 8 count.

You moved to your left a lot of the time, which isn't a good idea against a right-handed opponent because you move towards his power punches.

Some good things I'd say:

Well done for getting in there and giving it a go. Most people don't so you deserve credit for that. The other guy looked pretty solid so I wouldn't let the loss bother you too much as he looked well-trained and maybe it was just a matter of experience.

I noticed that you clinched at times, which I regard as a good thing just because a lot of young boxers don't ever do it even when it's the smart move.

After taking some shots in the first round, you came out for the second with a lot of aggression. Not sure if that was the right strategy but it takes some guts to do.

This.

The other guy seemed much more experienced than you. I'm surprised they let you in with him to be honest. You did take that shot at 1:20 like a champ though. lol

Don't let it get you down though. Everybody loses in the amateurs. You live you learn and the more you do it, the more relaxed you'll be. Someone said you might need a new trainer, and as mean as that seemed, there's some truth to that. Keep it up, you'll get better and I'm very happy for you, especially since you at least DID it. Props, but don't get big headed just because you're boxing.

Comment

Freddie Pendleton was 1-5 in amateurs and lost his pro debut. went on to beating Roger Mayweather and also becoming World Champion.

If you got Heart, you can go places win or lose.

Comment

thanks alot mates. my coach told me to let my jab go as well, and to not blink or look down when recieving punches which is a really hard thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHKAg8FZgTI 1st R
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hv_TWW-yY 2nd R

I lost via TKO in the 2nd round; tried my best but guess people who couldn't practice shouldn't ask for a victory lol; matter of fact my coach told me that I was stronger than my opponent, and I thought so too, I could kind of see the punches but I looked down because I don't think I'm still used to the punches, but compared to my other exhibition, I think I improved but what do you guys think?

IT'll be nice if you gave me some pointers... thanks
          Your opponent has cleary been training longer than you. He would be a tough test for anyones first bout - you did well.

You didn't quit and gave it your best shot - well done !!!

Comment

chin up, next time train harder and dont be demoralized

school can keep you back but don't neglect it

Comment

Working...
            X