No announcement yet.

Boxing + Yoga = ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing + Yoga = ???

I box Monday to Friday, and by the end of the week, I'm always pretty tense. I was thinking of starting to do Yoga on the weekends, see if I can't relieve a bit of that tension. Not to mention improve my overall flexibility and suppleness, which I feel would really help me improve in the ring.

Anyone else do it? Maybe a recommendation for a decent place in London? The place I'm trying out is called "Triyoga". I've got my first class this afternoon.

Also, does Yoga help with breathing techniques, or is that Pilates I'm thinking of?

Do it! Spending at least one day a week doing some type of yoga or stretching helps you recover, keeps you limber, prevents injury, etc. I too often neglect my weekly stretch and always pay the price for it. When I keep up with it, I feel much better on the gym.

Comment

I've just come back, and I highly recommend it. I went to a class that was specifically for people who did sports, and I've come back with virtually no muscle tension.

We did a lot of stretching, and a lot of isometric holds. I generally pride myself on having strong quads, so it was a little bit embarassing having these waifish women doing some of the holds (most of which were variations on squats and lunges) with apparent ease whilst I was in agony. My legs felt like they were on fire for the majority of the 90 minutes.

Don't even get me started on the women there... The women outnumbered the men 5-to-1, most of whom were not only hot but insanely flexible. Definitely going back.

Comment

did u bust a nut?

Comment

I went to a class that was specifically for people who did sports, and I've come back with virtually no muscle tension.
          Last edited by Dixie23; 03-26-2012, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I've been doing yoga for years and it's the best thing you can do for your body.

Comment

I have the p90x yoga im gonna start hitting it once a week ive been training pretty intense and im sore all the time so i gotta start stretching n yoga more its a good idea

Comment

Well I have started Yoga and boxing yet but i am considering to start both but i have to spent lot of my time at workplace . I believe that these both exercises are good for me and would make me fit . I would join Class very soon for yoga and Boxing .

Comment

Yoga is incredibly valuable for boxing. Especially if you are someone who likes to lift weights, it helps to offset that by preserving flexibility

Comment

I just came back from a session of Bikram yoga, this is definitely the one to go for. It's "hot" yoga; you do it in a room heated to over 105 degrees.

It was really difficult, more down to the heat than anything. It's almost suffocating, and it makes breathing much more challenging. It's strange experience; I'm used to being out of breath, but this was more like there was pressure on your lungs and diaphragm, meaning you really had to focus on breathing to get an intake of breath.

Definitely incorporating this into my off-days. I train Monday to Friday, I think two days a week of this would do a world of good.

Comment

Working...
                    X