No announcement yet.

Restoration Project with an Amateur Boxer Video Training Vlog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
    martial refers to a war like situation, boxing has never been used in any war like format by a society for war time. boxing is an art, not a marital art.

also what are these myths you speak of?

myths sound to me like they are things that old schoolers did that have carried over because people think its useful. my opinion is that the most damaging myths are the ones that modern day people are trying to infuse into the sport.

one of the most damaging myths that modern trainers are infusing into the sport is training boxers the same way that you train mma fighters. boxing is about impacts, thats why clinching is broken up. mma is about pushing and pulling, thats why theres so much ground game and work done agaisnt the cage.

if you try to take principals of mma and infuse them into boxing, you are going to find more often then not your students dont go any where in boxing and instead become mma fighters.

so yeah....most damaging thing to boxing is people with a mma background trying to teach boxing.
    "so yeah....most damaging thing to boxing is people with a mma background trying to teach boxing."

Who are you referring to?

Comment

martial refers to a war like situation, boxing has never been used in any war like format by a society for war time. boxing is an art, not a marital art.

also what are these myths you speak of?

myths sound to me like they are things that old schoolers did that have carried over because people think its useful. my opinion is that the most damaging myths are the ones that modern day people are trying to infuse into the sport.

one of the most damaging myths that modern trainers are infusing into the sport is training boxers the same way that you train mma fighters. boxing is about impacts, thats why clinching is broken up. mma is about pushing and pulling, thats why theres so much ground game and work done agaisnt the cage.

if you try to take principals of mma and infuse them into boxing, you are going to find more often then not your students dont go any where in boxing and instead become mma fighters.

so yeah....most damaging thing to boxing is people with a mma background trying to teach boxing.
      John what does anything you said have to do with the basis of this thread?

I respect you even though you don't approve of me. But neither did Henry Tillman or Tommy Brooks until I worked with them for a year. I taught Henry Tillman a few things about teaching.

I think it's sad that because of your dislike you'll as all old trainers do find something they don't like and run their mouth about it. What old trainers don't do is say a kind word.

John Bray taught me it will be like that because guys don't want to lose money. I can handle that. However it's BS that you a smart guy went through this whole thread and found something wrong. You saw nothing positive.

Whatever Mr Scully

Comment

No fights for Barry then ah?..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
          "so yeah....most damaging thing to boxing is people with a mma background trying to teach boxing."

Who are you referring to?
          no one in perticular, more so im refering to my year spent learning boxing at a mma facility compared to my year learning boxing at a boxing gym.

like boxing gyms are pretty scarece depending on where you live, but mma gyms offering a boxing class are poping up every where. these coaches arnt boxers and have never boxed in any kind of amature or pro fassion so all they are doing is training these up and coming boxers mma stand up while conditioning them for MMA, and the only people they have to spar are fellow mma fighters or fellow boxers that have the same poor training.

what happens then is these people start fighting amature, and they are ****, so they go back to their gym and start taking all the mma classes for an extra 20$'s a month and become decent mma fighters.

so thus the issue with boxing is that there are hundreds of mma coaches with no boxing background offering sup par boxing classes which result in the kids being driven away from boxing and take up mma.

really though i guess the myth part of it is that boxing and mma can some how be compared.

Comment

John what does anything you said have to do with the basis of this thread?

I respect you even though you don't approve of me. But neither did Henry Tillman or Tommy Brooks until I worked with them for a year. I taught Henry Tillman a few things about teaching.

I think it's sad that because of your dislike you'll as all old trainers do find something they don't like and run their mouth about it. What old trainers don't do is say a kind word.

John Bray taught me it will be like that because guys don't want to lose money. I can handle that. However it's BS that you a smart guy went through this whole thread and found something wrong. You saw nothing positive.

Whatever Mr Scully

my names matt. you called me john, i thought because of John L Sullivan in my avatar, one of his nick names was Spartacus Sullivan, i couldnt use that as a user title, too many letters, so i went with spartacus sully.

I am not John Scully.

as far as the thread, im not going to comment on something that dosnt need to be commented on, so instead of assuming that i found nothing positive, assume that everything that i didnt mention was positive.

you can look at it like this, out of the whole thread the only issue i had was you grouping boxing into mma and then claiming that mma is developing while boxing is not because of myths, and a lack of courage and creativity.
            Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 03:16 AM.

Comment

my names matt. you called me john, i thought because of John L Sullivan in my avatar, one of his nick names was Spartacus Sullivan, i couldnt use that as a user title, too many letters, so i went with spartacus sully.

I am not John Scully.
              ah ok I thought you were John who enjoys destroying me regularly but he's a good dude

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                No fights for Barry then ah?..........Rockin'
                "Anybody can see Barry Robinson ain't on boxrec.. I don't do much but work with the best Combat Sports Athletes in the world globally...."

"I said my boxing career is just as obsolete as your teaching ability. Now what does that say about you? 26 years... amateur and pro fights. Judging and refereeing but yet people call me to work with them. Not Rockin from the forum."

Comment

Who is this kid?

1:43 middleweight short stocky, i like the body up
                  we got the knockout..
                  African American Coach. Gets called to Germany at 29 years old to be the head coach for a couple German Fighters on a televised card for a major promotion. Not normal... Got wins (not pretty) over Danny Williams and a Knockout on the undercard. I'm just a kid. I dont have 26 years of fights and refereeing.... Just a kid from the bronx

Comment

"Anybody can see Barry Robinson ain't on boxrec.. I don't do much but work with the best Combat Sports Athletes in the world globally...."

"I said my boxing career is just as obsolete as your teaching ability. Now what does that say about you? 26 years... amateur and pro fights. Judging and refereeing but yet people call me to work with them. Not Rockin from the forum."
                    Lol, no fights Barry. You're just another Freeman Hopkins, learns how to work the mitts and he believes that he's a world class trainer.

My teaching ability is superb, I know exactly what's in these kids heads and I know how to connect and convey my experience to them. I know what they feel in the ring, I know their concerns, I know their desires. Not because I am a mind reader but because I stood in their shoes just the same at some point in my life.

You learned boxing in the pen didn't you. You learned how to work the mitts and now you're a world class trainer? Having spent no time in the ring fighting yourself leaves you well short of true knowledge no matter who you might have held the pads for. You work on theories passed down to you with no knowledge of being inside a ring warring.

Your videos I am sure will help kids abit and it's nice that you post them up. But don't try to belittle me while sarcasticaly calling me an "expert". I have experience that you'll never have. Don't hate me because I have experience, just hate me because I am right............Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 03-08-2012, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Boxing for MMA... Not to be confused with Pure Boxing

Comment

Working...
                      X