Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers and their weight lifting abilities?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers and their weight lifting abilities?

First off hi ya'll! Been reading this site for a while and I finally joined

I know the consensus against weight training and all, but I'[m just curious there is no compilation of boxers and their various compound lifts (deadlift, squat, bench) and I was wondering if people could share their knowledge of boxers and their ability to lift.
    Boxer:
    Height:
    Weight:
    Reach:
    Known Lifts:

I'm speaking as someone who can't go pro, but would like to work up his ability to a boxer and benchmark to some of their stats.

I'd like to know this sort of information too. However, nobody can be trusted to be completely honest with what weights they can lift. Even guys on this site......ha ha

A fighter's trainer/conditioner can be relied on for plenty of ballyboo/exaggerated figures. But I wouldn't trust it. Boxers are out to intimidate their rivals!

Comment

boxing training exclusivley doesnt help max strength alot. guys like gamboa have crazy genetics but he does strength training as well. ive heard gamboa was repping weighted pullups with 90 lbs attached which is alot of weight. i know shannon briggs and hassim rahman have both been said to put up big weight room numbers. plus 400 lbs bench 500 lbs squat.

Comment

I know Mosley at around 150lbs could deadlift 500 pounds
        Tyson would do leg presses at 540lbs when he got out of prison.

I am curious about Roy Jones especially since he switched between heavyweight and midweight. The information on his weight/lifting routine is scant.

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
          This is such a stupid question; the question itself is too vague or vast to answer. A lot of boxers don’t lift weights anyway they do strength training. Obviously some boxers incorporate lifting into their workout and some boxers will have superior lifts to someone who doesn’t. Different people have different strength levels but a boxer’s goal is not extreme hypertrophy.

Maxing out on squat sand DLs are a bad idea in a boxer’s routine. I max out on DL at 200kg and wouldn’t even look to walk again for the next 2 days so it is irrelevant to what they can lift. I’m not against weight training though as it can be to advantage but specifically it doesn’t matter what a boxer can lift.

To answer you question a bit further it doesn’t matter what you size of height is to you lift ratio, I always think benching 1.5 times your bodyweight is good. So to conclude it depends on the person.

I would say that benchpressing 1.5 times your body weight would be ridiculously good and extremely rare to see. I've never known any 11 stone guys who can benchpress 104Kg for example, controlled and with full range......

Perhaps the ratio improves exponentially as a guy's body weight becomes higher?

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
            Maybe I just see this standard as okay as I’m an avid lifter. I've being training just under a year now and I'm 80kg and can bench 115kg. I feel bench is weak though in comparison to my dead lift and squat. I can dead lift 2.5 times my bodyweight as I max out on dead lift at 200kg and I’m 80kg. All this is achievable naturally, as I am. Like I was previously was trying to state it just depends on the person and even their genetics, some people are not able to cope with lifting a heavy weights.

Therefore maybe to a boxer it may seem an impressive lift but to someone who lifts recreationally like me for the fun and improvement of one’s physique is a reasonable standard for 1-2 years of lifting seriously. After 2 years of seriously training thought your lifts will start to get slower and what you are able to increase in strength wise will be a lot harder naturally.

The link below gives a good indication of lifting standards. For my lifts it states I’m at an intermediate to boaderline advance level not even close to elite. Sidenote, I wouldn’t dream of trying an advanced weight lifting program as I know the workload would be too high and I wound not be able to cope.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Lord! I've been in gyms for the best part of 2 decades and haven't seen anyone that light at the very least benchpressing that much. 80kgs, is that around 12-12.5 stone?

115kg benchpress. Thats 47.5Kg on each side of a 20Kg bar, very tough going! I'm surprised your body hasn't simply got bigger and heavier to cope rather than staying so light. There must be very little bodyfat on you? Most guys I see lifting this sort of amount are at least 14 stone and often above 15 stone (and very much in shape too).

Comment

When I was a Senior in High School I maxed 240lbs on bench and 360lbs on squat. I had been taking this weight training course in school for 3 semesters straight. I was fighting at 139lbs, 5'9"-10" tall. Ran a 5:17 mile.............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
              X