Nervous and A Bit Scared In Sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous and A Bit Scared In Sparring

Started boxing, 6-7 months ago.

Had my 5th spar. I'm around 6ft 3, slim built. Usually taller than most guys there at my gym.

Anyway, I faced a taller guy yesterday.

I've been having this problem before my spars, where I kinda flinch whenever a shot is thrown at me.

Yesterday, the guy clearly beat me mentally, as he kept getting me with right hand.
    Got my clean. Hardest shots I took, no doubt.

But I just couldn't see any of the punches coming in. Not only that, I think I was a bit afraid (as embarrassed as I am to admit that).

Barely threw any shots as well.

I really infuriated my coach.

Just wondering, have any of you guys been in this position? Feels pretty ****ty man.

How long does it take to see the shots coming in, and when do you develop confidence?

I'm the same height though iv never face anyone taller than me. I hate getting rushed with a barrage of punches practice fighting on the back foot and no matter how scared or intimidating it is keep sparring after a while it becomes nothing

Comment

im in the same situation, but from what i've learned it's more of mentality than anything else. Just gotta work on defense as well. Getting used to the punches takes time bro. just tuck you chin in and keep your guard up. that's number one. and work on your defense. headslip, bobbing and weaving. Parray the punches. I know its not an easy thing to do but practice. you aren't gonna be afraid of the punches if you aren't gonna get hit right?

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
        im in the same situation, but from what i've learned it's more of mentality than anything else. Just gotta work on defense as well. Getting used to the punches takes time bro. just tuck you chin in and keep your guard up. that's number one. and work on your defense. headslip, bobbing and weaving. Parray the punches. I know its not an easy thing to do but practice. you aren't gonna be afraid of the punches if you aren't gonna get hit right?
        Yeah. Appreciate the tip bro.

I got the stance down. I could parry as well. In fact, the coach goes your defence is alright. I'm just hesitant when attacking.

On top of that, I can't see the punches coming in.
        When they land, they just land, 'Thud'.

It seems I get more and more tense, as the person closes me down.

Feel like a coward at times. But at least, I know a lot of guys have been there, before.

Hopefully I'll get over it. Frustrating times.

One thing I could take from this though, is the guy was throwing full power shots, he got me clean, quite a lot, but I got on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubbed90 View Post
          Yeah. Appreciate the tip bro.

I got the stance down. I could parry as well. In fact, the coach goes your defence is alright. I'm just hesitant when attacking.

On top of that, I can't see the punches coming in.
          When they land, they just land, 'Thud'.

It seems I get more and more tense, as the person closes me down.

Feel like a coward at times. But at least, I know a lot of guys have been there, before.

Hopefully I'll get over it. Frustrating times.

One thing I could take from this though, is the guy was throwing full power shots, he got me clean, quite a lot, but I got on with it.
          If you can't see the punches coming, do you have good or bad eyesight?

Also, subconsciously you might be looking down at the ground, which is a very common issue for beginners. I'm no expert but I had the same problem, and sometimes that **** comes back when I spar with pros.

Are you willing to be posting a video of your sparring soon?

Comment

I used to suffer from that, always drove me crazy. I'd get to the end of the round and hate the fact I'd hardly threw anything. To be honest, there isn't much I can say... work on defence, and just spar more, you'll get used to it. After a while I got to the point where I just figured, 'hey, if i wanna box, i'm gunna get hit, so whatever'

Just keep at it, it's natural to be worried about taking shots when you first start out.

Comment

You sound like your ready to quit! When you add excuses to a negative approach to anything your gonna fail, the fact that you doubted yourself makes it ok in your mind. Maybe you should stop wasting your trainers time and bringing down the vibe in the gym, just leave.
              Your asking questions that you already have the answers to you just want people here to pat your shoulder because your trainer probably stopped.
              Listen young man if you want to do this then stop BSing and get to it. Either be a positive energy in the gym or become a punching bag with legs or leave.
              Sounds like your trainer is trying to get you motivated by putting someone taller than you in with you to change the landscape. Why not put some respect in line toward your trainer and give him a chance to get you going. If you can't do that then your not the right combination to form a team. Either way its on you, stop over thinking and get doing. When you begin to train as a boxer its pretty much ALL physical, the mental side grows as your knowledge grows. Right now you know very little so get physical and BE Physical!! If you can't get physical then boxing isn't for you. Ray.
              Last edited by Ray Corso; 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

This is completely NORMAL. A human's natural reaction to getting hit is not excitement, you flinch, free and sometimes turn away.

Don't worry about it, sparr as often as you can, you need to learn to be under fire. When I started the experienced guys did the same to me, just come with a flurry because a. I would panic and b. would have ****ty defense

The key to sparring is to remain calm, once you've come to terms with being in this hostile situation (I mean let's face it someone is attacking you), then things will change.

Don't wait for your opponent to go off on you, make him respect you. A nice stiff jab helps a lot to stop him in his tracks. You have to also learn to attack while your opponent is attacking, not just cover up and freeze. Take the initiative over.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

Comment

Being punched doesn't even hurt. I promise.

It's all about mental strength and focus.

Comment

great article that helped me out from the title boxing blog http://www.titleboxing.com/news/matc...o-performance/

Comment

Working...
                    X