Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amateur boxing: boxing for points vs going for a KO?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by outsidethebox View Post
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? What are the key 2-3 differences between the pro and amateur? How does the training differ?
    i'll leave that to the interpretation of your coach

Comment

Originally posted by outsidethebox View Post
      Could you elaborate on this a bit? What are the key 2-3 differences between the pro and amateur? How does the training differ?
      well for one amateurs dont sit on there punches they usually bounce back n forth instead .. look at shawn porter first couple fights to see the bounce on balls of feet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9i1k3yBxw

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
        If you want to be a good pro in the future you should train and fight a pro style. This is not the past anymore. With the current system in the amateurs makes boxing skills obsolete for the pros. I could name many examples. For instance James degale won a gold medal.... he will never be a WBC champ, never. The problem is it's too late to change styles. Habits are hard to break in boxing.
        i'm sure anybody could name at least as many examples of good amateurs for whom that success carried over into the professional version of the sport, and ESPECIALLY gold medal winners. many of the greatest boxers ever had done well at the olympics/in the amateurs first, including many of our current champions/top contenders.
        the jury is still out on de gale but he is former british and commonwealth champ, and current european, winning that coming off a loss, all within 12 bouts. that really is not bad going. i'd like to see him with a trainer that isn't a glorified fitness instructor otherwise he probably won't get too much further as you suggest.

if you manage to develop a good amateur style of being ABLE to score points ie land clean shots, and avoid receiving clean shots ie have a good defence then that is a great basis for professional boxing although of course adjustments would have to be made, just as transitioning from a 4 round pro fighter to a 6 rounder to an 8, 10 and 12 rounder, requires changes to be made. some guys make the transition, others don't but having a good amateur foundation is a positive thing to have. inability to adapt is bad for boxing, regardless of what it is that they need to adapt to- there's many adaptations that need to be made throughout a career, throughout a single bout sometimes.

someone who trains in a pro style from the off will be at a major disadvantage in the amateur sport and will not progress as easily or as far in the amateur competitions and will therefore not come up against the same level of opposition which is not good for developing the boxer.
        if you're suggesting that the boxer should turn pro very early on then that's a different matter but it would have to be in a country where they allow that and where there is an appropriate set up to enable it to work, eg mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by as646 View Post
          What I'm wondering is, I've got my first fight in May, is it worth trying to tailor my style towards going for points?
          if you want to do well in amateur boxing then tailoring your style to make it so that you score more points and give away less is obviously not a bad idea, OBVIOUSLY.
          however i would suggest that you see what works well for you- if getting in there and opening up genuinely is the best way for you to box then that's fine as long as you don't get tagged too much and ultimately can be sure of landing more than you take.

Gamboa for example was often in very high scoring bouts, both guys landing a good number of shots, but he almost always came out in the lead and wasn't someone who was getting hurt in the process so fair play.

experiment a little in some light sparring, see what works, what you're comfortable with and have success with and take it from there.

by the way-
          i was watching some sugar ray leonard today, he often boxed in a more amateur sorta style in the pros and didn't do him too much harm now did it?

Comment

There is a saying that if you look for a knock out, it will not come.

Might want to listen to that.

Comment

i think especially for your first couple bouts, your cardio will be more important than your style.

style and boxing sense tends to stay at the doors when u enter them bout day.

your number 1 goal is to pace yourself to finish strong.

Comment

Originally posted by chico 305 View Post
                i think especially for your first couple bouts, your cardio will be more important than your style.

style and boxing sense tends to stay at the doors when u enter them bout day.

your number 1 goal is to pace yourself to finish strong.
                that's pretty true actually.
                even if you're a neat boxer with a good style, in your early bouts you are likely to come up against some novices who will come out swinging, all guns blazing and you're going to have to be able to keep up with that and accept that it might not be a slick contest.
                certainly worth bearing in mind.
                also, however you box, come out in a good classic stance with solid guard to begin with, because there is every chance there will be a wild swing coming your way from an angle that you're not used to- would be a shame to get caught with it before you can even get settled.

Comment

Going for the knockout in amatuer boxing will send you home with too many runner-up trophys. Be sure to put combinations together and just make it happen.

One thing though, I always made sure to throw hard at the beginning of the bout just to show the guy what he is f****n' with. My thought was that it should keep him from just running in on me if I tag him hard enough. Then again he might walk through my best shots. Crazy sport you signed up for kid. No matter the outcome of your venture I take my hat off to you for stepping up. In this sport you will learn a ton about yourself. Good luck man.........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Body shots to count it's just hard for the judges to see so they aren't scored as often as an obvious head jolting shot.
                    Well going to the body makes it easier to go to the head so it's all important.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      Going for the knockout in amatuer boxing will send you home with too many runner-up trophys. Be sure to put combinations together and just make it happen.

One thing though, I always made sure to throw hard at the beginning of the bout just to show the guy what he is f****n' with. My thought was that it should keep him from just running in on me if I tag him hard enough. Then again he might walk through my best shots. Crazy sport you signed up for kid. No matter the outcome of your venture I take my hat off to you for stepping up. In this sport you will learn a ton about yourself. Good luck man.........Rockin'
                      real **** right here.

dont throw no 1, 2, 3 shot combos. 4 plus combos and get out making sure u throw the jab out jsut in case he tries to run in on u.

but Rockin's gameplan is a great one, i liek that, throw ur best shots, earn your opponents respect n do ya thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X