Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO of my Nephew sparring (13 years young)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO of my Nephew sparring (13 years young)

Here is a very short video of my nephew sparring a female boxer. It ended quick cause his sparring partner did not want to continue. I believe a right to the body hurt her.

I welcome all feedback/tips to help him improve.

I want to work on some head movement, so if anyone one can give me some suggestions on to help him with that.

He has been going to boxing for about 3 months now usually about twice a week.

Originally posted by terriblegabe View Post
    Here is a very short video of my nephew sparring a female boxer. It ended quick cause his sparring partner did not want to continue. I believe a right to the body hurt her.

I welcome all feedback/tips to help him improve.

I want to work on some head movement, so if anyone one can give me some suggestions on to help him with that.

He has been going to boxing for about 3 months now usually about twice a week.
    Based on what I watched and what you've posted about your nephew. I would not allow him to spar again until he corrects the many mistakes he committed.

I found many mistakes from beginning to end. He simply has no business getting in the ring with so many fundamental flaws.

Get his @ss back to learning boxing(not sparring). Work on everything, ie footwork, proper punching mechanics, keeping his chin tucked at all times.

There is not a single thing that he did properly. The only thing I liked was he seemed to have some tenacity.

In order for him to be ready for sparring. One of the most important thing in boxing is developing that vision, and this can only be done through repetitive drills. But, he needs to develop the basics of boxing before he can be shown the type of drills I'm talking about.

This would be my step-by-step guide to prepare your nephew for sparring

Step 1: Teach him proper punching mechanics, footwork, balance(proper stance), and keeping his chin tucked and his hands up at all times. Oh and he looks a bit overweight, developing his cardio might help.

- Once he has shown mastery of the basics I mentioned above, and is starting to look fluid with his punches, then start to introduce him to the next step.

Step 2: DEFENSE: He got the basic offense down, now it's time to learn how to defend against those punches. He kinda got a taste of it already from step 1, by learning how to keep his chin tucked and his hands up at all times.

What he needs to learn: How to block, parry, slip and defending via footwork. This will develop his vision for oncoming punches.

Step 3: Now that he has mastered the basics of offense & defense. It's time to put it all together, no, not quite sparring level yet.

Step 3 will require alot of mitt drills. At this stage of his education with the fistic art, he will be learning how to put his offense and defense together. Teach him how to attack and counter-defend through various mitt drills. This is where he starts to develop the vision required in the ring.

Once he has shown that he understands how it all works. It's time for that test. Yes, that day has come. Sparring !!

This time around, he should look more fluid in the ring, no one is gonna look perfect, but, I can guarantee you, he will look better than that current vid of his.

For now, don't have him sparring until he develops the basics. Give him a good solid 6 months of nothing but focusing on the fundamentals, and depending how often he goes to the gym and he should be able to jump back in the ring looking better than ever.

I hope this has helped.
    Last edited by King of Sting; 11-26-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

King of Sting, thank you for your feedback.

I work with him but the problem is i have no background on boxing just what I learn here and some videos on youtube by Coach Rick and others.

Yes, he is overweight he has lost about 12 pounds since he started we just started running together so I am sure he will continue to slim down.

I am excited because he is eager to learn

Comment

If you want to help your nephew then you should take him to a real trainer.

Teaching him stuff you see on youtube isn't a very good idea and he can pick up some bad habits which no one would correct.

Comment

holy **** get him to a real trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by terriblegabe View Post
            King of Sting, thank you for your feedback.

I work with him but the problem is i have no background on boxing just what I learn here and some videos on youtube by Coach Rick and others.

Yes, he is overweight he has lost about 12 pounds since he started we just started running together so I am sure he will continue to slim down.

I am excited because he is eager to learn
            That would be your major problem mate. Learning things from Youtube video's isn't the way to go as you could pick up some real bad habits.

Get him to a proper boxing trainer (if its what he wants to do).

But keep doing the road work with him.

Comment

Sorry i should of said i work with him on the side. He has his boxing coach who was a ex professional fighter but his one and one time is limited.

As for as the youtube video it mainly just drills that i mimic with him so on.

Also, i just met the guy who use to train his current coach years back. He said to bring him down to his at home gym set up he has going on. I might take him there. That guy has about 4 other boys going to him learning boxing.
              Last edited by terriblegabe; 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

As his uncle just leave the boxing side of things to the trainer.

What you can do is help him with his conditioning and fitness.

Get him to start doing roadwork, skipping and getting his body into shape.

Comment

It's good that you are encouraging him and trying to help him with his training.

Have a look at the following videos on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/myboxingcoach

The coach breaks down the basics really well. Let your Nephew watch them with you and then you can have a go at them. It won't do him no harm!!!

Try and keep things fun for him too.

Good Luck !!!

Comment

Yes, i always try to keep things fun for conditioning. I have him sprint some pass routes and we play catch together with a football.

I do some jump rope competition with him and his sister who is also going to boxing class, and I also do some medicine ball work outs.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can do to help his conditioning that are fun.

Thank you for sharing the youtube video theauthority

I know you guys mentioned not to help him with technique, what if i start going to boxing class for the adults more often. Do you think it will be ok to teach him everything i learn from their. I have gone a few times, I'm going to start working 4 Am to 12:30 PM so Ill be about to go to the classes more often.

Comment

Working...
                    X