No announcement yet.

Paleo diet for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo diet for boxing?

AKA the caveman diet or hunter gatherer diet...Anyone think this is a good idea?

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
    AKA the caveman diet or hunter gatherer diet...Anyone think this is a good idea?
    Hey, i have been doing the Paleo diet for 2 weeks now, lost 14lbs so far(still overweight but i weigh 229 now).
    I am actually going to stay eating like this forever. I feel 10 times better then my best time in shape(180).

I would say try it out, it cant hurt you. you really must like or force yourself to like vegetables but you will really see and feel a big difference in how your body feels.

Comment

Originally posted by The Future View Post
      Hey, i have been doing the Paleo diet for 2 weeks now, lost 14lbs so far(still overweight but i weigh 229 now).
      I am actually going to stay eating like this forever. I feel 10 times better then my best time in shape(180).

I would say try it out, it cant hurt you. you really must like or force yourself to like vegetables but you will really see and feel a big difference in how your body feels.
      That's awesome man hey what do you eat for breakfast though? lol

Comment

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
        That's awesome man hey what do you eat for breakfast though? lol
        combinations of a egg omlette with lots of vegies in it, fruit smoothie, a serving of a lean meat, protien shake only, fruit.

its actually really easy, its really just no bread/rice/pasta
        ....well a tad more then that, But it is the easiest change i have ever made....and i have tried ALOT, lol.
        Last edited by The Future; 09-25-2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

combinations of a egg omlette with lots of vegies in it, fruit smoothie, a serving of a lean meat, protien shake only, fruit.

its actually really easy, its really just no bread/rice/pasta
          ....well a tad more then that, But it is the easiest change i have ever made....and i have tried ALOT, lol.
          You eat the eggs with the yolk? no **** lol

Comment

I love Paleo! I can email you recipes that I use.. there is primal granola that my house mate even eats and she doesn't do Paleo! YUMMMMOOOOOO!!

Comment

Hey fellas, a quick word of caution/advice with the Paleo diet -

First, disclaimer - I have never actively been ON the PD, but Mrs. Ringo has. I speak from observation and extrapolation.

It's a great diet for eliminating processed foods and for trimming off excess weight. If you are trying to maintain a weight bracket, shed extra pounds, or drop a weight class for a fight - get at it. The high protein/fructose combination turns your body into a boiler. It's really in tune with what it claims to be - a diet imitating the eating habits of wandering peoples thousands of years ago.

That being said, cromagnon's did not know of interval training or punching each other in the head for sport (my wife, the anthropologist, might disagree, but I'm sticking to my guns). So, my suggestion would be to cycling the paleo diet much like you'd cycle a supplement in accordance with the style of workout you are doing. The high protein diet is great for building up your "traveling muscles," (that is, muscles that get used at sustained rates over periods of time - our ancestors were nomadic) and fruits/berries are good for energy ****es and such.

However, the diet falls a little low on the carb scale. Carbs provide your body with what is essentially slow-release energy (that's why they get converted to fat so easily). Plenty of carbs CAN fall in line with the spirit of the paleo diet, if not the numbers. Sweet potatoes, various kinds of seeds, and even the dreaded rice. I'm not saying start throwing in carbs at every meal - you will not lose the weight or maintain the body-clean feeling the paleo diet provides.

What I am saying - when you are going to ramp up your training on a given day (say, you are really going to bang out some HIIT work on the rope, bike, or some equivalent), it'd be wise to throw in a higher ratio of carbs for the day. Just keep them unprocessed.

Hope it helps, and good luck to both of you fellas! Keep dragging the knuckles!

Comment

Hey there, I found a couple of codes for a paleo meal delivery company, PaleoDelivers.

GoPaleo2016 for 15% off your meal order and free daily deliveries

14-Delivery for free deliveries on any 14 day meal order

Hey there, I found a couple of codes for a paleo meal delivery company, PaleoDelivers. GoPaleo2016 for 15% off your meal order and free daily deliveries 14-Delivery for free deliveries on any 14 day meal order
                PaleoDelivers.com

Comment

Congrats on trying to better yourself, much respect.

But I have bad news, most of that is water weight, and glycogen. But I'm not advocating for you to stop by any means. Paleo can work for overweight people for sure.

But for boxers, no I don't recommend this diet unless your weight cutting. While training for boxing, you need carbs to perform your best.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                    Congrats on trying to better yourself, much respect.

But I have bad news, most of that is water weight, and glycogen. But I'm not advocating for you to stop by any means. Paleo can work for overweight people for sure.

But for boxers, no I don't recommend this diet unless your weight cutting. While training for boxing, you need carbs to perform your best.
                    Agreed. Paleo is great at giving you physical results, as well as helping maintain a good physical and mental state for those accustomed to sedentary lifestyles... But your body's preferred source of fuel (carbs) is being drastically cut, which will ultimately hinder your performance, as well as progression, in boxing.

In short, only use it to cut during the early stages of training.

Comment

Working...
                    X