No announcement yet.

Sad day when I can't....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post
    You can still spar, just spar more with the novices and beginners rather than pros or experienced amateurs.

Novices and beginners can learn a lot from being in the ring with someone with as much experience as yourself, true you wont be able to go all out or get into any gym wars but at the end of the day you have to think of your health.
    I do that now, it's the best way I train the young fighters at my gym. I find that when you put two inexperienced guys, they try and kill each other and don't learn anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
      I could probably do better than most guys my age, I guess I'm just going through a little but of a mid life crisis because I'm starting to get hit more and more by the young guys.
      It's a win / win situation then mate. As their coach, I'm sure that if they weren't improving you would be dissapointed. Maybe, it is they who are improving rather than you declining?

Just out of interest, how does it feel, when you work on a combination / counter with one of your boxers and the next sparring session they pull it off against you ???

I do the same and spar with the some of the lads I coach. It's a strange feeling - basically I'm learning someone how to hit me. I worked with one of our lads feinting the left jab and following with a left hook - He got me everytime !!! haha

Comment

Don't spar me, I'll put you into early retirement.

Haha just messin dude. 50 amateur fights, holy smokes. Chill out, sip on a Corona, enjoy your life.. No harm in that.

Outta curiosity, got any videos of the amateur fights? I bet you're a beast.

Comment

keep going till you stop enjoying it,i box with a guy who is 47 at our gym,yea i agree we are all quicker than him but his timing is spot on,he also has great fitness level,maybe you have to re adjust your tactics little bit but keep going,alot people will learn so much by just sparring someone with your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
            It's a win / win situation then mate. As their coach, I'm sure that if they weren't improving you would be dissapointed. Maybe, it is they who are improving rather than you declining?

Just out of interest, how does it feel, when you work on a combination / counter with one of your boxers and the next sparring session they pull it off against you ???

I do the same and spar with the some of the lads I coach. It's a strange feeling - basically I'm learning someone how to hit me. I worked with one of our lads feinting the left jab and following with a left hook - He got me everytime !!! haha
            Hahaha you know whats funny, I was working with this kid on how to counter hooks to the body when your on the ropes, he hit me right in the nose with a perfect right upper cut after I threw the left hook to the body...my eyes started watering he hit me perfectly.

Originally posted by Big BRICKS View Post
            Don't spar me, I'll put you into early retirement.

Haha just messin dude. 50 amateur fights, holy smokes. Chill out, sip on a Corona, enjoy your life.. No harm in that.

Outta curiosity, got any videos of the amateur fights? I bet you're a beast.
            Actually I do, lots of them but they are all VHS (Don't do the old jokes) I don't know how to get them transferred. I was going to turn pro in 90' but ended up getting arrested the same year and then when I got out in 92', got my GF pregnant and there went my career.

Originally posted by project xxx1 View Post
            keep going till you stop enjoying it,i box with a guy who is 47 at our gym,yea i agree we are all quicker than him but his timing is spot on,he also has great fitness level,maybe you have to re adjust your tactics little bit but keep going,alot people will learn so much by just sparring someone with your experience.
            Yea thanks, Damn 47 that's a lot older than me. You made me feel better. That's the key is still keeping in shape, it's hard when I'm always training someone instead of training myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
              What's the deal with the flat back picture? just askin..........
              I was gonna ask the same thing to...

Comment

maybe you can't really spar like you once could but look on the bright side, atleast you can still get in there and roll if you want to. 2 years ago I had a stroke that has my left side pretty messed up still. I was going to the gym and sparring with different pros before it happened and more than held my own against them. Now I can't even throw a jab or a hook which means it is completely over for me in the ring. Try dealing with that after 20+ years of being in and around it.

****, I had even passed my certification to begin refereeing the pros, I had been reffing the amatuers for awhile, it was like a duck in water. Now I can't move as I once had so reffing the pros is out. I talked with the guys in the game and they said just be a pro judge then. It's not the same at all, judging from reffing, but I guess atleast I'll still be in the game. You have your health and abilitie to move properly, you don't have it bad at all...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                  Hahaha you know whats funny, I was working with this kid on how to counter hooks to the body when your on the ropes, he hit me right in the nose with a perfect right upper cut after I threw the left hook to the body...my eyes started watering he hit me perfectly.
                  Haha ... Good stuff pal !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    maybe you can't really spar like you once could but look on the bright side, atleast you can still get in there and roll if you want to. 2 years ago I had a stroke that has my left side pretty messed up still. I was going to the gym and sparring with different pros before it happened and more than held my own against them. Now I can't even throw a jab or a hook which means it is completely over for me in the ring. Try dealing with that after 20+ years of being in and around it.

****, I had even passed my certification to begin refereeing the pros, I had been reffing the amatuers for awhile, it was like a duck in water. Now I can't move as I once had so reffing the pros is out. I talked with the guys in the game and they said just be a pro judge then. It's not the same at all, judging from reffing, but I guess atleast I'll still be in the game. You have your health and abilitie to move properly, you don't have it bad at all...........Rockin'
                    Damn homie, I didn't know that. No, I know I have nothing to complain about. I could be in a much worse place in my life. The only major regret I have as far as boxing is concerned is not turning pro. I was actually really good as a young boxer and was always told I had a "pro style".

I train young fighters now at two different gyms here in South Florida. That keeps me going and I love going to the gym, just once in a while that old part of me keeps wanting to compete and I even thought about entering the Masters but 2 times, there was nobody in my same age and weight class so I didn't get to fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X