New to Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Boxing

Hey Everyone,
    Really hoping for some advice or input on if anyone has had my situation happen to them. I am wanting to learn boxing for 2 reasons. 1. I have always wanted to be a good fighter. 2. I am currently planning on being a cop in the next few years and with so many people doing mma, I need to be able to fight. And I plan on learning mma stuff later...so I know it...but I am more intrested in boxing because most criminals are going to be throwing punches, not trying to take you to the ground.

But anyway,
    When I say I am "New to Boxing" I mean very new. Maybe 4 hours max of training. The first day went well. My trainer is a dad to one of my friends from highschool. He was a boxer for 8 years and at one point was nationally ranked golden glove. My problem is I don't think I am comfortable enough with him and I don't know what to do. He is over 6ft tall and weighs of 250Lbs and doesnt talk much. And on the 2nd day...he wanted me to go balls to the wall on him and try to blast him...and I couldn't do it. Does this mean I am a wimp and need to suck it up or does the person that is training you need to be someone you are comfortable with?

1) Suck it up and quit being a sissy! If your gunna be a cop you better get used to people testing you!!!

2) http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...to_threadtools

Comment

We actually have a guy in our gym that is learning to become a police officer also. He's in school or whatever and said they'd like it if you have had some type of martial arts training. He's a big guy, heavy weight. But he got some balls, spars with pro's and heavy weight pros in our gym.

Alright this is my opinion and what I go by. About the trainer thing. I think it all depends on the situation. If he's pushing you in a good way to motivate you and what he says has some credibility and works than listen to him. But you also want a trainer that you are comfortable with too. We have different trainers in the gym I go to. I do have a preference on one trainer over the others, but I don't mind working with the others if he's busy with someone else.

Remember that this is boxing, you go hard or go home. Trainers job is to teach you but also to push you and motivate you at the same time. Work with a trainer that makes you better.
      Last edited by Toy Story 3; 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

WarFace and Thank Me Later...I appreciate your input and quick response. There is another guy that teaches boxing here in town that I may try at the begging of next week. But I don't throw away the chance to be trained by someone that was a nationally ranked golden glove either.

Comment

Originally posted by michael89254 View Post
          WarFace and Thank Me Later...I appreciate your input and quick response. There is another guy that teaches boxing here in town that I may try at the begging of next week. But I don't throw away the chance to be trained by someone that was a nationally ranked golden glove either.
          Fighters change trainers all the time. Don't worry about all that. Different trainers have different styles of training you. You want someone that pushes you and teaches you but also is making you "better". But it's also up to the fighter and how focused they are, how well they listen and learn, ect ect.

Comment

Working...
          X