No announcement yet.

Converting to southpaw!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncods View Post
    If i get my ass kicked in the coming sparring sessions I'll definitely switch back. tnx for the comment tho.
    You can dominate as a southpaw based solely on the grounds of your competition not being experienced enough though, and that's the problem. You don't want to dominate in the gym only to go into a fight and have your ass handed to you because your opponent is capable.

Comment

Originally posted by VolumePuncher View Post
      Not if he stays away from your right hook, because that's the only shot you're knocking anybody out with as an awkward ass newly-converted southpaw.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm bothering to tell you how stupid this is, you'll learn your lesson when you spar with someone capable and they put your Pac-Man wannabe ass on the canvas.
      Wow you must be a ***** as you are enraged that I am a Pacquiao fan. Pacquiao's my boy but I sure as hell would not copy his style of fighting. He's the only one that can fight like that. Like I said I don't get hit as much when I'm southpaw but I know that there's alot of factors that can play into that like the level of my sparring partners etc. I know that.

Comment

Okay, now I'll be nice again.

Answer the following questions:

1.) How experienced is your sparring partner compared to you, what's the size difference between you two, and are they orthodox or southpaw? The reason I ask about experience is because if they're not used to fighting southpaws, they're most likely going to get clowned regardless of actual skill or ability.

2.) What are you getting hit with most frequently and what situations are you having trouble in?
        We have 2 amateurs and I think 4 guys who have been training and sparring for a awhile now. only one is southpaw. I'm actually one of the smallest I'm around 148 and most are 155+.

at question number two I dunno all kinds of punches? because like I said I just feel like I don't get clocked as much.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
          We have 2 amateurs and I think 4 guys who have been training and sparring for a awhile now. only one is southpaw. I'm actually one of the smallest I'm around 148 and most are 155+.

at question number two I dunno all kinds of punches? because like I said I just feel like I don't get clocked as much.
          About question number one, I was asking more for height differences and things like that than just raw weight. If you're getting routinely schooled by guys bigger, longer, and more experienced than you are, then that's nothing to be ashamed of and just a sign that you have to keep getting better.

In question number two I was asking if there are any recurring themes in how or where you get hit. If you're getting hit all over the place with a variety of punches, then you suck defensively and that's something you're going to have to fix regardless and would be better off fixing now.

Comment

All orthodox fighters... go straight for the liver on southpaws. It's right there waiting to be touched up.

Comment

If you and your trainers both think you are much stronger and more accurate with your right hand, I really can't think of a good reason why you would want to change to southpaw.

Comment

This guy has had an absolute nightmare. Being southpaw gives you a small edge, that's it. Stay orthodox man.

Comment

when you spar with someone capable they put your Pac-Man wannabe ass on the canvas.

Comment

I would love to go Dojo Storm (MMA term I know, but it can apply to boxing gyms I thinks) all these Filipino wannabe eBadasses...I could probably fight their little midget asian asses 3 at a time...I would be looking like Uma Thurman in Kill Bill.

Chest puffing aside, with Pacquiao's incredible surge in popularity in the Philippines, I wonder if now everyone there is running around claiming to be boxing trainers? Somewhat similar to what we have with the fake MMA ******s here in the United States and what we saw in the 80s with all these fake Karate, Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do "black belts."
                    Last edited by Saddlebred; 04-27-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

hhmmm

so your footwork is not as good but you're not getting hit as much when u box southpaw and that's the reason why you are switching? seems a bit weak of a reason for switching. the only reason you are not getting hit as much is because it is awkward to fight a southpaw.

wouldn't it be better to work on your defense more so you get hit less instead of completely swapping your stance and depending on your opponents being unfamiliar with southpaws?... you run into someone who knows how to fight southpaws (or a natural good southpaw) and you'll just end up getting hit just as much if not more since your defense will still be weak...

Comment

Working...
                      X