Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you get over your fear of fighting in front of crowds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

listen to your corner if you can pick out what they're saying. act as soon as they tell you something. just breathe, relax and box. when youre walking up to the ring you should be gettin ready for business. the crowd isnt part of the business youre doing, they just happen to be there... so relax and do your job.

Comment

A bit off topic. But does your family and friends go to watch you guys? Or do you just go with your boxing club? just curious...

Comment

I havent fought in front of a crowd (havent fought in a ring before!!). But played an exhibition soccer match in front of upto 5k people. I was so nervous, but once the game kicked off everything was forgotton and it was like playing on any other peice of grass. I'm guessing it would similar for someone boxing??

Fortunatley, my trainer tends to make me do one on one pad work in the centre fo the gym while about twenty people or so stand around waiting for the next class to start........... hopefully that helps me get used to people watching!

Comment

when you throw your first punch, at least for me nothing else mattered

Comment

Originally posted by Lovely View Post
            listen to your corner if you can pick out what they're saying. act as soon as they tell you something..
            Actually, it is better to do the opposite. If you can hear your corner than so could your opponent. If my corner yells left hook, I would immediately feint the hook and drop in a right. If you don't react instantly then just remember to look for a left hook as you walk the ring. I hate when my corner would constantly be yelling. The say what they want you to do so many times that I'm certain that my opponent has heard aswell and has already plotted against me......................Rockin'

Comment

And as for your fear of crowds.... Once you get hit in the nose you will have split seconds of visions and memories of what is happening. Just know that during these times is when a fighter is born, you must throw back.................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                Actually, it is better to do the opposite. If you can hear your corner than so could your opponent. If my corner yells left hook, I would immediately feint the hook and drop in a right. If you don't react instantly then just remember to look for a left hook as you walk the ring. I hate when my corner would constantly be yelling. The say what they want you to do so many times that I'm certain that my opponent has heard aswell and has already plotted against me......................Rockin'
                i agree with this

Comment

Alright, my two bits:

Take my advice with a grain of salt if you want - I've never fought in front of a crowd, I come to this forum to get training advice not really give it. But, I've performed in front of many people many times (I'm a musician). Anyway, basically its learning how to perform in front of people. Its something you learn, another skill on top of all the others you're trying to get together.

Any type of anxiety like this goes away with experience, so after awhile, this goes away. You just need to perform in front of people a lot, and you cannot let the gaze of others effect your performance, you cannot let it influence what you want to do. You cannot think "Oh...they're watching me, they'll like when I do this" That will throw your concentration, even just a tiny bit is enough to mess you up. The people watching you have to not factor in to what you are trying to get your body to do, even the slightest thought about that hot chick in the front row will take your mind away enough where you'll mess up. You must have confidence in your preparation and skills, that is where it all comes from - you're the one doin the work, not anyone watching you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    meh. the guys i fight arent pros. this works for me, maybe it doesnt for others. i usually ignore what i hear until i sit down between rounds and hear what they're saying. or "look for the uppercut", throw it, surprise it lands etc... just my 2 cents. i know youve been around rockin', i respect your opinion and agree with your stance on the topic from the position where you see it.

Comment

Just do it. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's fact. The only way, ONLY way to overcome a fear is to do the thing your affraid of and keep doing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X