Collapse
No announcement yet.

fighting weight vs walk around weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fighting weight vs walk around weight?

Yoooooooo,
    Do any of you think there is any benefits of trainning heavier than cutting just before your fight or do u recon it is better to maintain fight weight at all time?

*then

Comment

i box at 140, sometimes i hold it sometimes i get heavier. Like if im in a tournment then ill hold 140 till the end of the tournoment and not go more than 3 pounds over for as long as it takes. But when i havnt got a fight comming up i usualy go up to around 154, for me i think its good, i diet real strick and good when i know i got a fight or in tournments and i train like a beast so weight comes off real easy, i dont drink, smoke or do drugs my only bad trait is i sometimes eat too much! I put weight on real easy as well tho so usualy when i come off diet i put like 9 pounds of the weight on after 3 days of the fight.

I think the benifits of going up in weight for me is it kinda helps me keep my focus going as its real hard to eat strick all year round, also when the weights off i feel like my legs r real strong because they where used to carryin around 14 extra pounds. Also as i said im like a spunge im not like some kids u see who can eat all day and not gain weight ,i put it on real easy so i think it would be hard for me to maintain 140.

Negatives are if you dont know what your doing your going to **** yourself up. Also you cant take fights on late notice because your off weight and if you where eattin pizza all night then go training next moring are you going to beable to give the session 100%
      Last edited by Tripoli Tornado; 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

The most I've ever weighed is 189. I've always walked around in the low 180's and known I could get to 165 (fat loss, no water. If I dehydrated I could fight at 152) if I had enough notice. Problem with that is as an amateur you don't have much notice most of the time. For example, my goal is to fight 9 times this summer (want to get those first 10 fights out of the way this year) and then take the rest of the year to just train up for the tournaments at the beginning of next year. If you're fighting every week or two, you have to pretty much stay at a fairly consistent weight (I plan to get to 160 and more or less stay there).

The thing about putting on weight is it's just really hard to stay at a real low bodyfat level if that isn't what your body is naturally inclined to do. You do feel ****ty when you get to a low % for any amount of time. So going up a few pounds is a way to train at high intensity without feeling like ****. In other words, do it in the off-season if you have one.

A side benefit is fatboy power behind your punches in sparring. Then when the weight drops off you walk in there like damn, I weigh 160 and punch like I weigh 190. Even if you don't. Still feels good.

Comment

Well I fight at 126 and walk around at tht weight but hate having to watch what I eat u guys think its a gd idea puttingon a few lbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe"sugar" View Post
            Well I fight at 126 and walk around at tht weight but hate having to watch what I eat u guys think its a gd idea puttingon a few lbs?
            its never a good idea to put on fat lol.

the best would obviously be to stay at your fighting weight, no benefits come from putting on weight between fights.

bottom line is if u are a fighter u are gonna have to watch what u eat, its not just about weight either. if u eat crap food is effects your energy and keeps u from performing at your best in the gym, it also wears on your body to take weight on and off.

i have one cheat day a week when i eat what i want to, it doesnt really take alot of discipline and i maintain my weight easily. if u cant lay of the junk food how do u get up to run before work/school in the morning? now thats hard.. remember boxing isnt a sport, its a lifestyle.

Comment

When I was fighting I'd walk around at about 152-155, I'd fight at 147. The week of a fight just watch what I eat or drink and sweat it out the day before the weigh in. I felt good at 147, took a fight at 154 and felt great. Took a fight at 14o and killed myself making the weight. I made the weight but got so sick, still fought though. These guys dropping 10-15% body weight are crazy. It will catch up to them somewhere down the line................Rockin'

Comment

I don't eat any bad food ever, but when I'm nt training I feel like I gt no energy (train 6 days intense a week) do u think walking around heavier will make me have more energy when I train?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I fight at 126. As an amature, you are(Or should be) fighting consistantly, so you shouldn't have any time to gain weight unless you are young and your body is maturing. If you are not fighting consistantly, then rather then worrying about putting on weight, which is just going to require even more work to take it back off. Ask yourself the correct question.

Why the hell am I not fighting every week/two weeks?

Comment

Working...
                    X