No announcement yet.

How to deal with nerves ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with nerves ...

Does anyone have any suggestions with dealing with being nervous? Man I made it my goal to spar more this year and i have been doing well. But i'm sparring this guy next who is really good. I've done everything i can in, slept early, ate well i have cardio... but to be honest i'm nervous as @$#$ to spar this guy... I've been boxing for a year and a half and have decent fundamentals good foot work decent long jab...but i don't know how good this guy is i'm sparring and i'm getting suuuuuuper nervous. I'm going to do it no matter what... but yeah he's better than me I think... i'm just trying to calm down before i have to do it tomorrow...this is the worst part the anticipation...

any suggestions?

Don't put so much pressure on yourself, just relax and enjoy it. Whatever happens, happens.

Comment

once ur in the ring all the nerves will be gone trust................

Comment

Just try and relax. It comes with experience though.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
          Just try and relax. It comes with experience though.
          this is the true

Comment

Originally posted by DR.ORGYY View Post
            once ur in the ring all the nerves will be gone trust................
            His words are right on the mark. Once you get throwing you won't have time to even think about being nervous. But whats with the nervous stuff anyway. If you're ever going to fight you have to learn to control this. Stepping in to throw with people that you believe are better is the first step in learning to deal with it. Don't hand them the match before a bell even rings. Git in there and just do it.

I remember for my 5th fight ever I fought the defending national champion in this tournament. My coach says, you want this fight? I said sure, thats what we do. I had a teammate with nerves like yours saying that I'm crazy and just goin' off about it. I think that he was way more nervous than me about it. Sure I was nervous abit too but I looked at my opponent, who happened to be Tarrick Salmaci, and said; he's got 2 arms like me, 2 fists, etc. I got in there and we went to war. I lost a very close decision that night but came out of the bout with such pride and renewed confidence, I went on a good tear for my next 8-10 fights or so. Just do it...........Rockin'
            Last edited by Rockin'; 01-19-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

"Don't worry about being scared going into a fight. It's when you ain't scared, that's the time to worry. Fear is the friend of every good and reasonable athlete"- Cus D'Amato

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                His words are right on the mark. Once you get throwing you won't have time to even think about being nervous. But whats with the nervous stuff anyway. If you're ever going to fight you have to learn to control this. Stepping in to throw with people that you believe are better is the first step in learning to deal with it. Don't hand them the match before a bell even rings. Git in there and just do it.

I remember for my 5th fight ever I fought the defending national champion in this tournament. My coach says, you want this fight? I said sure, thats what we do. I had a teammate with nerves like yours saying that I'm crazy and just goin' off about it. I think that he was way more nervous than me about it. Sure I was nervous abit too but I looked at my opponent, who happened to be Tarrick Salmaci, and said; he's got 2 arms like me, 2 fists, etc. I got in there and we went to war. I lost a very close decision that night but came out of the bout with such pride and renewed confidence, I went on a good tear for my next 8-10 fights or so. Just do it...........Rockin'
                wow u fought tarick from contender? .. did u ever go pro?

Comment

Originally posted by haverespect View Post
                  wow u fought tarick from contender? .. did u ever go pro?
                  yes, when I turned pro I was with the Galaxy stable. Tarrick and I threw fists all the time up there..........Rockin'

Comment

I get really nervous before I spar, no matter who it is. Not really scared, just nervous, jittery, etc. And the only guys that I have as sparring partners now are these two brothers who both have like 10 fights to my 1. And they both beat me up every single time, whether they mean to or not (they don't). I go into the ring every time knowing that I'm going home with a headache and waking up with it the next day. But every time I spar them I get better, and I can beat the **** out of most any guys I've sparred who have comparable experience to me. You've gotta take your beatings to get good at boxing, that's life.

My method is just to tell myself '**** it, let's do this.' right before the bell goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X