No announcement yet.

Hitting the heavy bag to lose weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting the heavy bag to lose weight?

I've been out of shape for a while (about 20-25lbs over what I should be) and been looking to get back into shape by using the boxing workouts since its the most gruelling, but with a very tight schedule including work, I don't get much time.

I'm thinking of starting off by hitting the heavy bag like I used to, but wanted to know if I hit the haavy bag for 4-6 rounds per day, will I see any changes and will it help me knock some weight off (not looking for quick fixes or losing water weight) and get me back in shape?

Advice, opinions are welcome and needed.

I think you need to do some kind of workout for at least 20-30 minutes before you start burning fat, before that you are just burning carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
      I think you need to do some kind of workout for at least 20-30 minutes before you start burning fat, before that you are just burning carbs.
      You mean before hitting the heavy bag, right?

I always jump rope for 20 minutes and hit the treadmill or exercise bike for about 40 before ever hitting the bag.

That would help me more wouldnt it?

I just heard that hitting the heavy bag for anything over 4 rounds at high intensity would help in weight loss.

Comment

yeah im sure it would help you lose weight but another KEY thing is your diet, make sure your eating the right stuff, and shadow boxing at a good rate and moving around will also help

Comment

Get your diet in check first and foremost. If you're limited I'd say jump rope and heavy bag work, if you can run or jog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Consolidator View Post
            You mean before hitting the heavy bag, right?

I always jump rope for 20 minutes and hit the treadmill or exercise bike for about 40 before ever hitting the bag.
            Yes, that sounds good. Also adjust your diet so you eat 500 kcal less then you burn each day and you should lose 1 lbs a week.

Comment

Originally posted by axo90 View Post
              yeah im sure it would help you lose weight but another KEY thing is your diet, make sure your eating the right stuff, and shadow boxing at a good rate and moving around will also help
              Originally posted by Thank Me Later View Post
              Get your diet in check first and foremost. If you're limited I'd say jump rope and heavy bag work, if you can run or jog.
              My diet isn't that bad actually, apart from the occasional sodas, I eat pretty healthy (oatmeal, fish, rice, pasta, drink lots of water). I've never drunk alcohol and I don't do drugs or smoke.

Its just that working in an office sitting at a desk all day and hardly getting time for a workout, the weight has just creeped up on me but I want to work those pounds off before I get anymore heavier than 20lbs.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
              Yes, that sounds good. Also adjust your diet so you eat 500 kcal less then you burn each day and you should lose 1 lbs a week.
              Whats a healthy amount to lose? I know it all depends on my body/metabolism/diet, but I've been told if I really get some good workouts in and eat right, I can healthily lose around 2-3lbs per week which sounds good to me.

Thanks for your help bro.
              Last edited by GhostfaceKillah; 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

No. Hitting a heavy bag is not going to result in significant weight loss.

Assuming you eat exactly the same things, and do exactly the same amount of activity-- the only difference being you ADD hitting the heavy bag-- then sure, you might lose a few pounds over the course several weeks.

But if you want to lose 25 lbs. you are kidding yourself if you think hitting the heavy bag alone will get you there.

You want to lose weight, you MUST do one of these activities in excess, or a combination of these activities in moderation.

DIET/EXERCISE

Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Consolidator View Post
                  My diet isn't that bad actually, apart from the occasional sodas, I eat pretty healthy (oatmeal, fish, rice, pasta, drink lots of water). I've never drunk alcohol and I don't do drugs or smoke.

Its just that working in an office sitting at a desk all day and hardly getting time for a workout, the weight has just creeped up on me but I want to work those pounds off before I get anymore heavier than 20lbs.

Thanks for the advice fellas.
                  I feel ya man. How many meals do you eat per day ? 6 small meals is how you want to eat vs 3 big meals. It keeps your metabolism working through the day and more importantly you're body can absorb the nutrition eating in small meals. When you stuff your self, you can't absorb all the nutrition and it wastes.

There's this Mexican guy in our gym. I have no idea if he runs or jogs at all outside the gym. When he walked into the gym in the beginning he was like 205lbs. He is now walking around in the 150's lbs. No lie. When I see him in the gym he jump ropes and hits the heavy bag. I don't see him spar that much. So with that being said it can be done even if you're limited with how much exercise you have time for.

Comment

Originally posted by Thank Me Later View Post
                    I feel ya man. How many meals do you eat per day ? 6 small meals is how you want to eat vs 3 big meals. It keeps your metabolism working through the day and more importantly you're body can absorb the nutrition eating in small meals. When you stuff your self, you can't absorb all the nutrition and it wastes.

There's this Mexican guy in our gym. I have no idea if he runs or jogs at all outside the gym. When he walked into the gym in the beginning he was like 205lbs. He is now walking around in the 150's lbs. No lie. When I see him in the gym he jump ropes and hits the heavy bag. I don't see him spar that much. So with that being said it can be done even if you're limited with how much exercise you have time for.
                    I eat 4-5 small meals or sometime I eat 2-3 times a day but snack on fruit in between. Its hard when working though to remember to eat 5-6 times a day since I lose track of time alot, I'm improving though.

I think if I can maintain my treadmill/spin bike, rope and heavy bag routine, I should be ok.

I walk around 5 miles each day aswell in total so overall that should help aswell.

I'm not looking for any quick fixes though, I just want to keep doing my workout routine and don't care if it takes 8 weeks or 20 weeks. I want to lose the weight healthily and have been told by my physician that for men, 2-3lbs is a healthy amount, with a lb either side depending on my body. I weigh myself every monday and I've 4lbs since last week already.
                    Last edited by GhostfaceKillah; 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X