Developing a good jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.

Just one question. Should you turn over your punch when you jab, or should you just keep it straight, stiff, and aligned? Or either depending on situations?
    you ask a good question which in turn deserves a good answer,you may be in a situation where it is best kept straight,or you may be forced to shoot it stiff,and it should always be aligned to what your configuration of the shot that you want to follow the jab up with,

Comment

a good jab shouldnt lag at any point.

like when your shoulder moves your upper arm your upper arm should be moving out faster then your shoulder and when your upper arm moves out your fore arm should moving out just as fast if not faster then your upper arm and your forearm should be moving your hand out just as fast as your fore arm if not faster. there should be no lag, everything should be where it needs to be when the momentum gets there.

theres tons of jabs turn em over keep em straight its all up to the situation but they should all flow smothly from the moment you start the punch till you make contact, nothing should lag.

Comment

The Jab

Here are a couple of exercises and drills that I like to use. One of them is tossing a small medicine ball from your jab hand while in a fighting stance while keeping your elbow as close to your body as possible and turning the jab at the end of the throw. I also make sure that the boxer is not flaring out his elbow and that his chin is tucked in right behind the shoulder. Also, when catching the ball after the toss, the boxer catches with the jab hand and brings the hand right back to his guard

The other drill is, I have the boxer stand next to a wall with his jab side towers the wall. I then have the boxer walk against the wall while throwing jabs forward and backwards. I make sure the boxer steps with the jab, turn the jab over at the end of the punch and that his chin is again protected by the shoulder. If the boxer flares out his elbow, the elbow will hit the wall. So if there is a brick or concrete wall this will teach the boxer not to flare out his elbow.

Another good exercise is using a band shadow boxer while practicing all the jab principles.

Comment

Textbook jab.

Comment

Working...
          X