Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are doing pull-ups slowly better or is faster better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IlostMyAccount View Post

I always see people doing them fast as hell and getting high-reps, and I feel that is cheating the muscles. What I do is doing them slowly and get like 8-10 reps. Now, i want to know if I do them right or wrong. Is there a reason why some people feel the need to do them super-fast and get high reps that way? Does it work the muscle out differently?
    If you want to build muscle mass, then do your pull-ups slow, specially on the negative or coming down without fully extending your arm where the elbows lock. The reason this builds more muscle is because the slower you pull yourself up and bring yourself down, the more stress you put on your muscles. Fast reps will create explosive power. Pull-ups will not increase your range of motion. This is done with stretching and exercises like shadow boxing.

Comment

Fast upwards, slow downwards. Thats the hardest, if you go fast downward then it's just the gravity doing the hard work

Comment

faster is always better because it builds your fast twitch muscle fibres. lifting any weight slow, no matter how heavy, is nothing but bad for a boxer. it forms soft, large, fatty muscle if you lift slow....forget the strength gains and go after lifting fast weights,

google jeff fenech arm shoulder

check out his youtube vid

you don't need to do pullups

just focus on that exercise and jumping rope and your body will become a tank
        Last edited by Frighteous; 09-14-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

wow. some people on this internetz is ******s

Comment

Perform the concentric phase as explosive/fast as you possibly can without losing proper form. The eccentric phase should be slower and more controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottamale View Post
              Perform the concentric phase as explosive/fast as you possibly can without losing proper form. The eccentric phase should be slower and more controlled.
              Ding Ding Ding

and he actually uses concentric and eccentric.

think of your muscle as a spring when you use it normally. if you just make the spring wire bigger its going to be heavier its going to be slower its going to be less efficient at transfering potential energy but able to hold more weight.

theres really no need to work your muscles like this for boxing.

now lets say your muscles made up of not just one spring but thousands of springs, by doing the concetric portion as fast as possiable your forcing your body to use the sheer number of springs to do the pull up instead of over all strength teaching you to use more of your muscle fibers instead of makign the fibers bigger.

which is useful for boxing.

then we have the negative or eccentric motion which does all kinds of things. a muscle can actually hold about 3 times more eccentricly then concentricly. like when you pick up something way to heavy for you your still able to put it down in a controlled manner. the act of trying to perform a concentric motion but the load is so great that it still forces the muscles to stretch.

essiantly the muscle is used as a shock absorber instead of as a spring. by doing the negatives slowly you emphasise the load and increase how efficiently you work the mucles eccentricly. now what workign the muscle eccentrictly does alot of is muscle hyper playsia. the extreme load that the muscles arnt used to cause the fibers to tear and in some cases the body will sent out satalite cells which are like stem cells and these satalite cells bond with the 2 parts of the torn muscle fibers to create 2 new muscle fibers where there was only one. this act increase the density of the muscle along with the extreme load tempering the fibers them selfs to allow for greater stress.

and so the increased resistance to tearing, and the increased muscle fibers from the eccentrict contractions reflect in your concentric contractions causing the the springs that are your muscles to be denser springier more tought and firm working faster and transfering potential energy much more efficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby Robert View Post
                Ding Ding Ding

and he actually uses concentric and eccentric.

think of your muscle as a spring when you use it normally. if you just make the spring wire bigger its going to be heavier its going to be slower its going to be less efficient at transfering potential energy but able to hold more weight.

now lets say your muscles made up of not just one spring but thousands of springs, by doing the concetric portion as fast as possiable your forcing your body to use the sheer number of springs to do the pull up instead of over all strength teaching you to use more of your muscle fibers instead of makign the fibers bigger.

which is useful for boxing.
                This analogy is ******ed.

There is ALWAYS use for strength in ANY sport that involves the slightest modicum of athleticism.

Strength is about neuromuscular coordination. It does not require large muscles as strength is essentially muscle memory.. of course over time there will be muscle growth but this does not change the facts.

what you refer to about making muscles bigger and slower is BODYBUILDING.

what you refer to when you mention the 'thousands of springs' is MOMENTUM and POWER.

Look at Olympic Weightlifters. They are definitely not slow and yet they are incredibly strong.

one of these ****ing days people will stop being so ignorant about weights in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Righthandbanger View Post
                  This analogy is ******ed.

There is ALWAYS use for strength in ANY sport that involves the slightest modicum of athleticism.

Strength is about neuromuscular coordination. It does not require large muscles as strength is essentially muscle memory.. of course over time there will be muscle growth but this does not change the facts.

what you refer to about making muscles bigger and slower is BODYBUILDING.

what you refer to when you mention the 'thousands of springs' is MOMENTUM and POWER.

Look at Olympic Weightlifters. They are definitely not slow and yet they are incredibly strong.

one of these ****ing days people will stop being so ignorant about weights in boxing.

your an idiot and have no idea what your talking about.

if you just make the spring wire bigger its going to be heavier its going to be slower its going to be less efficient at transfering potential energy but able to hold more weight.

where was i talking about not needing strength? where did i say anything that would lead one to think i wasnt talking about body building?

by doing the concetric portion as fast as possiable your forcing your body to use the sheer number of springs to do the pull up instead of over all strength teaching you to use more of your muscle fibers instead of makign the fibers bigger.
                  momentum? power? no. neuromuscular coordination!!!!!!!

paving a pathway between your brain and the muscle fibers causing more of them to activate as well as increase the neuro excitement with in the muscle!!!!! thusly increaseing strength with out hypertrophy!!!!

and olympic weigh lifters slow? of course not but then you would have to sho that alll olympic weight lifters do their concentric motions slow as syrup to make any kind of point as im simply stating that slow concentric contractions are worthless.

in fact your really agreeing with me through the entire post aside from the power and momentum part and then you go and call me ignorrant.

and beyond that there is clearly a point in just about every sport when strength goes beyond what is needed and becomes inefficent, and in a sport soley based around impacts and not pushing all that matters is having enough strength to raise your hands and move your legs.

if all this is too much for you to understand perhaps you should ask me to elaborate instead of calling me ignorant again.

and even body building has its uses. if you find your self repeatly in pain in your front deltoid then you can isolate that muscle build it up with useless hypertropy in a week or 2 then go back to boxing with a stronger shoulder that wont injure and after about a month of just boxing it should be converted in to good boxing muscle.
                  Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 09-15-2010, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby Robert View Post
                    where was i talking about not needing strength? where did i say anything that would lead one to think i wasnt talking about body building?
                    here.
                    if you just make the spring wire bigger its going to be heavier its going to be slower its going to be less efficient at transfering potential energy but able to hold more weight.

and beyond that there is clearly a point in just about every sport when strength goes beyond what is needed and becomes inefficent, and in a sport soley based around impacts and not pushing all that matters is having enough strength to raise your hands and move your legs.
                    nope, wrong again. You can never be too strong to the point of being inefficient. The only way in which you could be inefficient via strength training is if you neglect your other training in order to train strength, which is in itself a ******ed notion.

oh and just so you know, if you know how to hit properly, adding strength will increase your punching power, so yes strength is important. Nobody said anything about pushing but core and leg/shoulder/back strength is vital for having significant punching power.

and even body building has its uses. if you find your self repeatly in pain in your front deltoid then you can isolate that muscle build it up with useless hypertropy in a week or 2 then go back to boxing with a stronger shoulder that wont injure and after about a month of just boxing it should be converted in to good boxing muscle.
                    nono. how can adding mass to an area be more beneficial than adding strength? strengthening the shoulder is a much better way to aid recovery and/or prevent injury.

tbh the more you say the more apparent it is the less you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Righthandbanger View Post
                      tbh the more you say the more apparent it is how little you know.
                      fixed it for ya.

Comment

Working...
                      X