Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
    You said 2 hours straight, that means no breaks

Why did you spend so long on it?
    i used to rent a house but the landlord foreclosed so i moved into an apartment so my speedbag heavybag combo stand is now in my living room. i hit it everyday and listen to music when i get back from the gym. its my moment of zen for the day.

Comment

Speed bag isn't that good to be honest. It's mostly for rhytm and to condition your shoulders and arms.

If you have place i would suggest getting a double end bag, it's one of the best tool you can get after a heavy bag.

Comment

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;8765985]Speed bag isn't that good to be honest. It's mostly for rhytm and to condition your shoulders and arms.
        QUOTE]

And how is this not good? Agree with the double-bag statement though, probably the thing people overlook the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
          Ive benn consistant on the speed bag eveyday for the last month. today though i did 2 hours straight and my arms feel like noodles. how often do you guys hit the speed bag?
          3 3 min rounds lol. i got about 45 other exercises i gotta do b4 and after that though.

Comment

Why woukd you go 2 hours straight on the speedball?

Many other exercises give you much more benefit

Comment

I don't even use a speedball, never have either. Floor to ceiling ball (also known as double end bag) is much more effective and better.

In my opinion, the double end bag is probably as important as the heavy bag.

Comment

I like the speed bag when I'm already tired, bit of an easy couple rounds, but it does train your timing if you're really going hard at it. The double bag is probably my favourite, but you don't really have to be PERFECT, whereas if you're going fast on the speedbag you pretty much do, and if your shoulders are already burning it makes it pretty tough. Out of all the "main" things we do it perhaps the least useful, but that doesn't make it useless. The bottom line is the vast majority of great fighters have taken the time to get good on the speedbag- there's obviously a reason why.

To answer the OP: I usually do 3x3 or perhaps 4x3 near the end of my workout, and often 1 or 2ish more rounds at the very end as a bit of a cooldown.

EDIT: I should add that only really applies if you're using a smaller bag. If you're using a big bag you might need the timing still, but the accuracy part is a lot easier.
                Last edited by Trick; 07-07-2010, 12:16 AM.

Comment

on the fast, light bag-which is about the height of an opponents head-one can sharpen his speed and timing for "head-hunting"; and one also can practice the back-hand, warding-off stroke until it becomes automatic
                  THE GLANCE-OFF is even more important than the parry in causing deflection. The guarding positions of your hands and arms, and the hunched left shoulder in your normal punching stance were designed to give the upper portion of your body a wedgelike effect. That wedging of hands, arms, shoulder and forehead should enable you to (1) keep inside an opponent's attack as you step in to lead or to counter, and (2) cause most blows to glance off to the sides or up into the air.

The glance-off is more dependable than the parry because there's more solidity, if necessary, in the glance-off than in the parry. The reserve solidity is there only in case your glance-off has to be turned into a block. However, the less solid the glance-off, the less your own balance is disturbed. Your glance-off movements are not the solid, chopping movements of hand or arm blocks; they are lightning, knifing or sliding movements. They interfere little with your balance, but they spin your opponent slightly out of punching position.

If you watch a professional fighter punch the light bag, you'll note that more than half his bag-work comprises a rhythmic tattoo achieved like this: straight left - backhand left - straight right - backhand right -straight left - etc. You may ask, "Why this backhand striking, when the backhand blow is illegal in boxing?"

The answer to that is: He's sharpening his backhand for glance-offs and blocking. If you get a chance to use the light bag, spend half your time on that tattoo. A power-backhand for glancing and blocking is almost as useful for a fighter as is a good backhand for a tennis player.
                  http://www.freecirclefighting.com/jdbook.pdf
                  Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 07-07-2010, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X