• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to a boxing gym today for the first time

What should i expect?

Originally posted by ElGuero408 View Post
    What should i expect?
    If anyone gives you free stuff don't take it. They'll expect you pay for it later on by asking for sexual favors.

Also make an example out of someone so no one ****s with you.

Never take showers together with someone in the gym.

Comment

What should i expect?
      Listen to the coach, no matter what, for the first few weeks.

Even if you think you know better, listen to the coach, even if you don't want to work what he is working on.

This will make you look like you have a positive attitude and the coach will pay more attention to you in the long run.

Also, dont try to do anything fast, keep it slow and technichal. Going fast will not make you look like roy jones jr, and every single person in the gym will make fun of you when you leave, and some of them might make fun of you while you are still there.

Accept the fact you have to start from square one, leave your ego at the door, and listen to the coach. Stay open minded, and remember, people are there to beat you up.

Have fun!

edit: just in case for some strange reason, you think about going faster because you feel like you can, remember that it is all technique. Here is a video of miguel cotto training, reminding us to use proper mechanics rather than trying to look cool when training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=parc7...eature=related
      Last edited by Double Jab; 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

To get punched in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Jab View Post
          Listen to the coach, no matter what, for the first few weeks.

Even if you think you know better, listen to the coach, even if you don't want to work what he is working on.

This will make you look like you have a positive attitude and the coach will pay more attention to you in the long run.

Also, dont try to do anything fast, keep it slow and technichal. Going fast will not make you look like roy jones jr, and every single person in the gym will make fun of you when you leave, and some of them might make fun of you while you are still there.

Accept the fact you have to start from square one, leave your ego at the door, and listen to the coach. Stay open minded, and remember, people are there to beat you up.

Have fun!

edit: just in case for some strange reason, you think about going faster because you feel like you can, remember that it is all technique. Here is a video of miguel cotto training, reminding us to use proper mechanics rather than trying to look cool when training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=parc7...eature=related
          I Co-sign this ****.......exactly what he says

Comment

Thanks gor the replies lol. Ill be going in the gym in half an hour. Ill post back after

Comment

What should i expect?
              you wont be doing **** there its your first day
              if youre lucky they will let you hit the bag a little but i doubt it. you gotta get the basics down first, how to punch, your stance, lot of footwork and some cardio stuff (rope skipping, crunches, pushups etc etc)

Comment

I actually did alot. He introduce with my stance and worked on my foot work. I hit the heavy bag, maze bag, ect. I did pushups, squats, sit ups, jump rope. Anyone have a link to show me how to wrap my hands by myself

Comment

there should be a done of youtube clips for it, everyone has their own way of wrapping hands, you'll find the best that works for you once you start.

Comment

Working...
                  X