No announcement yet.

mouthguard problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouthguard problems

I'm starting at a new gym around here and the mouthguard I have now is like a brain pad style double tray guard with the breathing holes. the thing is so big I can barely close my mouth and my lips don't even fit over it.
    The main problem is that I can't expell my air when throwing combos like I can when I don't have it in, so basically it affects the way I can throw punches negatively. Does anyone else use a double tray, or had the same type of problems? and which would you recommend

btw, heres a pic
    Last edited by pug1986; 06-13-2005, 09:47 AM.

Well the only prob i could think of is did u boil it if not i think you put it in boiling water for 15 seconds then put it in your mouth and it forms to the shape of your mouth and fits perfect if you did boil it already then i guess you might have to buy a smaller size thats all i can think of.

Comment

I used to use the same kind of guard and always found them awkward.I ended up going to the dentist and getting a specially fitted one(he takes a mould of your teeth and makes one from scratch).It was a bit pricey but well worth it in the end.I still have it 7/8yrs later.

Comment

of course I boiled it haha. and I got a big ass mouth so thats not really it, more that its so cumbersome the thing hangs out of my skull. I think I will go with the dentist fitted option. thanks for the input guys

Comment

I use this mouthpiece.

As long as you follow the directions it fits pretty well. It has a very big space to breathe thru the mouth. It was akward at first and my mouth is always open but I get so much more air. I don't think you can break your jaw from having your mouth open because of how this mouthpiece fits it has your whole jaw in a different position but I'm not positive about that though.

Comment

you get alot of air but you can't compress your air, know what I mean? like the hiss sound you hear on tv, I need to do that in order to throw fast combinations and still keep some air in my gut in case I get hit. just can't do it with that one cause your mouth is held wide open

Comment

geta different mouthguard

Comment

Whats with the 80's cheap football mouthguard!
                I can see why you can't breath.
                Get rid of the $2.25 stuff and buy a nice -$10-15 mouthguard. It's worth it the investment, and better than paying te dentist to fix a bad tooth.

I thinks thats an everlast mouthguard. More everlast http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1847_16906785
                http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1846_64540048

Comment

Originally posted by ricecrispi
                  Whats with the 80's cheap football mouthguard!
                  I can see why you can't breath.
                  Get rid of the $2.25 stuff and buy a nice -$10-15 mouthguard. It's worth it the investment, and better than paying te dentist to fix a bad tooth.

I thinks thats an everlast mouthguard. More everlast http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1847_16906785
                  http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1846_64540048
                  haha it is a $20 mouthguard FYI (shockdoctor) and it's the same design as the brain pad you just posted, double tray with breathing holes. and I didn't say I couldn't breath, I said it holds my mouth so wide open I can't purse my lips to compress my air. thanks for your input anyway

Comment

All jokes aside, I think protecting yourself is a big priority and requires the proper attention. Boxing is the toughest sport out there, period.

I have a very small jaw and had the same problem. Not only that I had braces. I gone thru a few pieces to find a good fit, $80 worth.
                    I've used shockdoctor many times but the one you have looks different. Similiar in design doesn't mean they are the same thing.

It looks like you have the thicker version one that I hated. bigger is not better. Bigger = for bigger guys. They produce more force = greater need for more protection.

I used a Lo-Pro version and it is awesome. It has a shorter profile and fit my mouth better and allows you to close your mouth completely. It is from Shockjock and is $12-$15. Look into that.

What id did in the end was trim the brainpad before heating to get the profile smaller. Take the scissors and trim the front top and bottom pieces a little. Help you get a better fit. It still might be too thick or to thin the first. You have to do it a couple of times to get it right

Hope that helps.
                    Last edited by ricecrispi; 06-17-2005, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X