No announcement yet.

Boxing Brain Damage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Brain Damage

Its proven that unnecessary punishment in the ring contributes to being punch drunk, and other illnesses such as Parkinson's.

A fighter needs to become sharp. The way they do that is by sparring. During training camp they step up the intensity and surly the accumulation of punches received during training (even with head gear and 16oz gloves) is damaging the brain? I hear that Toney and such fighters sparr hundreds of rounds. Sprot went over to Germany to spar with both Klitschkos. Isn't the rigors of a training camp that make a fighter essentially brain dead? When a sparring partner is getting pounded on. Or when there are gym wars between 2 fighters?

I know of children in amateur gyms that spar tough. Also teenagers from 14-19 who sparr rough. Head gear don't really protect your brain from taking the punishment, its just for knots, lumps and cuts.

Debate away..

Last edited by *2TOUGH*; 10-28-2010, 11:58 AM.

Originally posted by !! 2Tough !! View Post
    Debate away..
    Debate what? That being punched repeatedly in the head leads to brain damage? Whats next, cigarettes damage lungs?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Charms View Post
      Debate what? That being punched repeatedly in the head leads to brain damage? Whats next, cigarettes damage lungs?
      lol...................

Comment

Yes there is risks associated with the nature of boxing (getting punched in the face) but overall those risks are more relevant to pros, because the longer time period of pro fights and the fact that the refs let you take more punishment increases the danger.

Amateur boxing is much safer because of the shorter fights, and it is really unlikely you will get brain damaged as an amateur.

As for sparring, well again with the amateurs we spar less rounds since we fight less rounds, so there is little risk of serious brain injury. But with pros who spar 8, 10, 12 3 minute rounds I guess there is more risk, but in the gym environment with coaches and the emphasis on skill development the risk is still lessened.

And anyways, have a good defence and don't fight on for too long, you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Charms View Post
          LMFAO

Comment

Originally posted by WANGLER JR View Post
            LMFAO

du joo stell want dose tekets?

Comment

Yeah, that's why I don't like little kids sparring too much at under 16...think about it, if they're sem-good fighters they're gonna be boxing for a long time, 20 years or so at most, that's a lot of punishment

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^

thats ******

most of the top fighters started young

if they dont spar, how are they gonna improve anyway

move ur head. boxing isnt about taking shots

hit and not get hit is the aim of the game

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialOne View Post
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^

thats ******

most of the top fighters started young

if they dont spar, how are they gonna improve anyway

move ur head. boxing isnt about taking shots

hit and not get hit is the aim of the game
                  not EVERYONE is a top boxer, and the sport is filled with fighters that become bums, journymen etc.. not everyone is gifted like Mayweather, and they take shots to the head, and then more on fight night. Hence the debate, Does training camp cause MORE damage as compared to fight night??

Comment

Originally posted by !! 2Tough !! View Post
                    not EVERYONE is a top boxer, and the sport is filled with fighters that become bums, journymen etc.. not everyone is gifted like Mayweather, and they take shots to the head, and then more on fight night. Hence the debate, Does training camp cause MORE damage as compared to fight night??
                    my reply wasnt directed to u but the fellow above but since u replied...

i know the everybody is not a top fighter but that doesnt mean if ur not a top fighter u aint allowed to spar

btw, ur reply didnt even make sence to what i said..

read mine again

Comment

Working...
                    X