No announcement yet.

How many calories do i need?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many calories do i need?

Hay, does anyone know how a good online calorie requirement calculator?
    looking to drop 2 stone of fat not muscle.

before anyone asks...

I eat really healthy now (complex carbs, natural sugars, hole grains, everything low fat). My training is boxing, sprints, and calisthenics around 4-5 times a week intense.

just want to know how many calories to have each day to lose body fat and not muscle or feel weak.

6 foot 1, very broad frame, mesomorphic body type, currently fit and I weigh 198 pounds.

any help is always appreciated, thanks!

Originally posted by samoram View Post
    Hay, does anyone know how a good online calorie requirement calculator?
    looking to drop 2 stone of fat not muscle.

before anyone asks...

I eat really healthy now (complex carbs, natural sugars, hole grains, everything low fat). My training is boxing, sprints, and calisthenics around 4-5 times a week intense.

just want to know how many calories to have each day to lose body fat and not muscle or feel weak.

6 foot 1, very broad frame, mesomorphic body type, currently fit and I weigh 198 pounds.

any help is always appreciated, thanks!

Thousand calories less than you take in a day is the healthy way that doesnt starve your body, so let me see. lbs x 10, thats around 1980, then, your intensity between 0.5 and 1.0, if you say intense, ill guess .9, so 1980 x 1.9 = 3762.

So, 3762 - 1000 a day = 2762 calories a day will make you lose fat and retain your general lean body mass, that is, if intense is really intense in your mind, because x 1.0 is the equivelent of olympic training, like 6 hrs a day kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Jab View Post
      Thousand calories less than you take in a day is the healthy way that doesnt starve your body, so let me see. lbs x 10, thats around 1980, then, your intensity between 0.5 and 1.0, if you say intense, ill guess .9, so 1980 x 1.9 = 3762.

So, 3762 - 1000 a day = 2762 calories a day will make you lose fat and retain your general lean body mass, that is, if intense is really intense in your mind, because x 1.0 is the equivelent of olympic training, like 6 hrs a day kind of stuff.
      wow! thats ****ing awesome, well my training sessions are like this...

Boxing = (skipping, bag work, plyrometrics, shaddows, foot work drills, useing a 20lb weighted vest some times on different exercises) for about 120 mins.

Sprints = srpint for as long as i can then jog for like 60 seconds, and repeat over 4 miles.

calisthenics = dips, sit ups, press ups, pull ups, squats, plank etc.

it's INTENSE x4 times a week.

but once a week its light = only 60 mins boxing, no weighted vest, sprints or calisthenics, more just for reflex's and staying sharp.

Comment

wow! thats ****ing awesome, well my training sessions are like this...

Boxing = (skipping, bag work, plyrometrics, shaddows, foot work drills, useing a 20lb weighted vest some times on different exercises) for about 120 mins.

Sprints = srpint for as long as i can then jog for like 60 seconds, and repeat over 4 miles.

calisthenics = dips, sit ups, press ups, pull ups, squats, plank etc.

it's INTENSE x4 times a week.

but once a week its light = only 60 mins boxing, no weighted vest, sprints or calisthenics, more just for reflex's and staying sharp.
        Yeah id say .9 is perfectly fine, so 2762 a day is great.

Just a few more tips and tricks that have worked for me at least (me = 6', mesomorph, broad shoulders, 183 lbs.)

1. Eat all your calories before 8 pm, and when you eat before a workout, make sure you eat at least 30 mins before.

2. The last thing you should consume after 8 pm is one low fat low carb protein drink, the one i have is the gold standard whey, which is 1 g fat, 3 g of carbs, and 24 g's protein. Have one after 8 pm when you need something to tide you over and to help with recovery, also, have one in the morning with breakfast.

3. Considering how much work you do, try to consume at least 140 g's of protein a day, just not more that 180, and remember, your body can only use at more 40 g's of protein at a time, so spread it throughout the day.

4. lots of fiber, brown foods are better, just dont exceed like, 50 g's. and drink at least one half gallon of water a day.

5. have a cheat day once every 2 weeks. Every 2 weeks, go out and have a steak and potatoes meal, or your favorite meal at olive garden, the best dinner you could imagine, or best lunch, or even best breakfast, just remember, not after 8 pm. This cheat day helps metabolism, as well as helps a hell of a lot with sticking to it, and you really enjoy the food.

Also, how are you splitting your calories, are you doing certain %'s of fat, carbs, protein?

Comment

I used bmi-calculator.net assuming he was 22 years old.
          I got a BMR of 2077, daily caloric requirement of 3946 (based on 1.9 activity level), and they recommend reducing calories by only 15 to 20% of your daily needs (3946 - 789.26 = 3156.74).

In the grand scale, 20lbs really isn't that much weight. 1000 calories is considered the maximum healthy calorie deficit and is considered too much for folks losing a relatively small amount of weight. so, to me, the more conservative number makes sense.

Personally, I would've gone with the 1.55 (sports 3 to 5 days a week) modifier, giving 3219 to maintain, and about 2575 to lose weight - but that's just me.
          The 1.9 modifier assumes a hard labor job and/or 2-a-day workouts 7 days a week.

EDIT: otherwise everything Double Jab's been saying has been golden and our calorie numbers are only 200 off from one another. I've even got the same protein powder he's got.
          Last edited by Pork Chop; 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Jab View Post
            Yeah id say .9 is perfectly fine, so 2762 a day is great.

Just a few more tips and tricks that have worked for me at least (me = 6', mesomorph, broad shoulders, 183 lbs.)

1. Eat all your calories before 8 pm, and when you eat before a workout, make sure you eat at least 30 mins before.

2. The last thing you should consume after 8 pm is one low fat low carb protein drink, the one i have is the gold standard whey, which is 1 g fat, 3 g of carbs, and 24 g's protein. Have one after 8 pm when you need something to tide you over and to help with recovery, also, have one in the morning with breakfast.

3. Considering how much work you do, try to consume at least 140 g's of protein a day, just not more that 180, and remember, your body can only use at more 40 g's of protein at a time, so spread it throughout the day.

4. lots of fiber, brown foods are better, just dont exceed like, 50 g's. and drink at least one half gallon of water a day.

5. have a cheat day once every 2 weeks. Every 2 weeks, go out and have a steak and potatoes meal, or your favorite meal at olive garden, the best dinner you could imagine, or best lunch, or even best breakfast, just remember, not after 8 pm. This cheat day helps metabolism, as well as helps a hell of a lot with sticking to it, and you really enjoy the food.

Also, how are you splitting your calories, are you doing certain %'s of fat, carbs, protein?
            Well i wanna get down to 12 stone (165 pounds), u know lean cut look, to compeete at middle weight really.

I useally eat 1 meal after training, but big problem is I'm a full time student and work 20 hours a week partt time, I'm always busy, so i have my own set of keys to the boxing gym, I work hard when im there but some times it not to like 10pm, and because of this life style I sometimes dont get to bed till about 4am (working weekends in a night club) so do you think still shouldnt eat anything after 8pm? or just shouldnt eat so many hours before i go to sleep? or just have a post work out low fat protean shake?

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Chop View Post
              I used bmi-calculator.net assuming he was 22 years old.
              I got a BMR of 2077, daily caloric requirement of 3946 (based on 1.9 activity level), and they recommend reducing calories by only 15 to 20% of your daily needs (3946 - 789.26 = 3156.74).

In the grand scale, 20lbs really isn't that much weight. 1000 calories is considered the maximum healthy calorie deficit and is considered too much for folks losing a relatively small amount of weight. so, to me, the more conservative number makes sense.

Personally, I would've gone with the 1.55 (sports 3 to 5 days a week) modifier, giving 3219 to maintain, and about 2575 to lose weight - but that's just me.
              The 1.9 modifier assumes a hard labor job and/or 2-a-day workouts 7 days a week.

EDIT: otherwise everything Double Jab's been saying has been golden and our calorie numbers are only 200 off from one another. I've even got the same protein powder he's got.
              I have just turned 23

Comment

Well i wanna get down to 12 stone (165 pounds), u know lean cut look, to compeete at middle weight really.

I useally eat 1 meal after training, but big problem is I'm a full time student and work 20 hours a week partt time, I'm always busy, so i have my own set of keys to the boxing gym, I work hard when im there but some times it not to like 10pm, and because of this life style I sometimes dont get to bed till about 4am (working weekends in a night club) so do you think still shouldnt eat anything after 8pm? or just shouldnt eat so many hours before i go to sleep? or just have a post work out low fat protean shake?
                Good point, for you, do not eat anything big after, hmm, midnight, considering you fall asleep at 12, so 4 hours is the number you are asking about. Then a protein drink say, 2 hours before to curb hunger and recover better (works for me at least, see if it works for you)

Try eating the one big meal in combination with your meal you have before your workout.

Lastly, when it comes to that kind of weight loss, i think we are in the same boat. I am 183, wanting to get to 155. Im doing 1000 calorie defeciet myself.

Also, take everything I say with a grain of salt. These are just ideas that worked for me. When it comes to science vs results, ill take results 100x's over. So hell, if having a huge meal right before bed works for you, then God bless and keep it up. Everything I do is just trial and error, combined with theory and study, so sometimes I go against certain norms. Just remember, do what works for you, yeah? Learn about your body, you will worry about it much more than any person, normal or physical trainer or nutritionist will. Learn how it works, and what works for you.
                Last edited by Double Jab; 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM. Reason: 1000 calorie defeciet, not 100 calorie

Comment

take your body fat say your 15% so that's 30 lb at 200 lb minus that so you have 170 times 19 = 3230 Calories a day or better 22610 calories a week spread out in a way that works best with your training and recovery

Comment

cheers bro!

Comment

Working...
                    X