No announcement yet.

Blocking punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking punches

What is better when u are about to block a punch, putting ur glove on ur cheek or on ur forehead and do u dip with it or put ur arms slightly up?

Originally posted by GhostFighter View Post
    What is better when u are about to block a punch, putting ur glove on ur cheek or on ur forehead and do u dip with it or put ur arms slightly up?

What kind of blocking style do you need? To you need a strong and unmovable one that will protect you while you bob and weave your way inside, or do you need a light and fluffy one that is mostly used when retreating and countering?

I say this because if you block as if you were retreating while coming in, chances are you will have a headache a few seconds later, and if you block the other way, its a waste of energy if you are staying on the outside.

Comment

Not anything particular in mind just want to know the correct safest way to block a punch while turning my core slightly so i can come in with a strong counter. So if i get a jab i like to turn my core to right and blocking a straight right i turn to the left so i can come back with a stronger jab.
      But problem is i still get hit in face when trying to block!

Comment

Ask your coach about blocking , we don't know what type of style he has taught you.
        Last edited by AeonOfFear; 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Not anything particular in mind just want to know the correct safest way to block a punch while turning my core slightly so i can come in with a strong counter. So if i get a jab i like to turn my core to right and blocking a straight right i turn to the left so i can come back with a stronger jab.
          But problem is i still get hit in face when trying to block!

Alright, Ill try to explain the best way I have found. I have to say though that this is just how I do it, other peoples ways could be better, I could be wrong, I have been wrong before, just try it out and see for yourself.

When punching, talk on the telephone with the otherhand like this guy.

http://www.crestock.com/images/27000.../279712-xs.jpg

You want the inside of your palm in the hollow of your cheek, and your knuckles resting on your cheekbone. I make sure the hand stays close to the face to absorb the most of the shock.

Now, with the other arm, straighten your punching arm out, and look down it like it was a rifle. This will bring up your shoulder to protect the other side of your chin.

Now, that is the basic idea behind blocking while attacking. If you want a great idea for defense without moving really, look at winky wright. His straight punch defense is phenominal. I can get deeper into that later when I have more time, because if you are getting hit while trying to hit someone, thats what you want to change first. (meaning you need an offense if the other person will ever stop trying to hit you, he has to respect your punches and be wary of them)

Now, you are talking on the phone with the right hand, and you are looking down your left arm. Jab your opponent with a quick step in. Doesnt even really need to hit him, just see if he reacts. Now jab and try to hit him. If he hits you square in the nose, duck a little (i mean a little, like 6 inches extra) and have him hit you in the forehead or have it slide over your hair (seriously I would take forehead shots all day if I was getting in jabs, the forehead is like a freaking brick wall. Its the temple and the jaw you gotta worry about.

Now you have to switch it up. Jab to get him to react. Ducking jab, jab, jab back away. ducking jab, step to the right, jab.

You have to remember that your opponent is smart, and will learn patterns you use. Jab from different angles, with different timing, while going back, standing still, going forward, while circling, while ducking, to hit him or not to hit him.

I got alot better when I realized one thing, and hopefully this helps you too: A opponent who is waiting for you to attack can easily counter you if you do.

This means if he is just standing there, waiting for you, and you jab in, expect to be hit hard, you deserve it, you didnt upset his rhythm.

This is when you jab a few times, just to disrupt him. double jab, without moving, circle him, jab a few times again. When you see him reset his feet, step in with the jab. Use your jab, hell, 5 times just in the air, if it throws him off, feint. Your lead hand is made of gold, you use it to probe his responses and gauge distance. if you do it wrong, you get hit, simple as that. Jab quick, jab quick, move back, circle, jab again, jab, step in jab, right hand jab step back. Lots of options. Just remember to upset his rhythm.

If you can hit him while he doesnt have his feet under him (he is either off balance or not ready to counter properly) and he cant hit you back, congrats, you have just mastered boxing.

hope this made some sense ...

Comment

By inserting your bent elbow directly inline with your nose

In all seriousness though it depends on what is being thrown, your body position, and your capability to counter. There is no magic bullet.

Comment

thx man, really usefull info

Comment

lol, I thought this was going to be hard to explain but I see your problem.

Stop turning your core, thats why your still getting hit. What you need to do is lean(sway) to the left or right. Move your head, not your body. Like bending at the waist if you still don't understand.

When dealing with jabs. Try to slap(parry) them away. You can do this with your lead or back hand. Don't forget to move your head while doing this. Sometimes lean back, sometimes to the side.

This should solve your problem.

Comment

amateurs=side of the forehead, make sure those elbows are tucked in to block uppers and body shots.

Comment

If you are blocking a punch, you should be bringing your hand out a inch or so to block it. If you keep it flush against your head, you are still absorbing some of the punch!

Comment

Working...
                    X