Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes please. I need boxing shoes and have no clue what to get. I'm looking for cheap and reliable shoes that won't fall apart after 6 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by popsaregood230 View Post
      Shoes please. I need boxing shoes and have no clue what to get. I'm looking for cheap and reliable shoes that won't fall apart after 6 months.
      I've had some really expensive ones and, when it comes down to it, my faves are the cheapest I've owned. The Everlast low-tops. They aren't form-fitting like the expensive ones are, but they are soft and grip the floor extremely well. My prob w/ most other shoes is that they slip on the cement floor when I'm doing bag, mits, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by popsaregood230 View Post
        Shoes please. I need boxing shoes and have no clue what to get. I'm looking for cheap and reliable shoes that won't fall apart after 6 months.
        Have you considered wrestling shoes? Dan Gable's are extremely light weight and hold up well. My Adidas Tyrant V have held up well for over a year. You'll have more variety with wrestling shoes as well.

I'm sure you'll get more feedback If you pretend that your a girl buying shoes for her boyfriend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
          I'm sure you'll get more feedback If you pretend that your a girl buying shoes for her boyfriend.
          lol, so true...

Comment

• little help. from what ive read the gloves with that offers the best protection are winnings. Until i save up to buy some, what gloves would be second best or alternative to the winnings. Some grants perhaps? Also which gloves offer the best wrist protection.

Comment

• Some grants perhaps? Also which gloves offer the best wrist protection.
              I was also wondering about this too. Any luck of finding something?

Comment

• Originally posted by satsukinob View Post
                I was also wondering about this too. Any luck of finding something?
                ive looked at some grants and their cuffs seem to be really sturdy. I havent had any grants, but i do have these really cheap Everlast with really great wrist protection due to the cuffs so i can only imagine who much better the grants would be. But i haven't had any experience with other gloves some maybe other people can shed some light

Comment

• Originally posted by Deltoro_10 View Post
                  little help. from what ive read the gloves with that offers the best protection are winnings. Until i save up to buy some, what gloves would be second best or alternative to the winnings. Some grants perhaps? Also which gloves offer the best wrist protection.
                  I had the Grant Professional training gloves for a few months and I've had the Winning lace-ups for a week. The Grants have some of the best wrist protection of any glove. They also offer the very best protection from punches in sparring. But, the knuckle area is not protective or fluffy like it appears. It's stiff and hard, aka a "puncher's glove". My fingers and knuckles were getting murdered when using Grants on the bag. Sparring was fine.

The Winnings have incredible protection in the knuckle area if your form is perfect. They will not protect you when you throw a bad hook. The wrist protection is average, IMO. I'm having to use double wraps because even though the Winnings have completely solved my hand pain, my wrists are now starting to hurt (something that never happened with any other glove). Hopefully, that will go away now that I'm wrapping heavier in the wrist. Unless you've tried a lot of gloves and you absolutely need something orthopedic, the Winnings are not necessary at all. I got them because I have huge hands but small joints so I'm susceptible to damage. I'll continue to use these but on days when my wrists need more support, I have a pair of Title Black-series bag gloves that I love.

If you're starting out, the IMF Tech's from Ringside are loved by many, and are cheap. As are the Title Gels. Getting something like that will give you good protection and if you find out that you need extra protection, you can upgrade. Dumping a lot of money into it right away isn't a good move. Many of the best guys at my gym use cheap gloves because they simply don't require anything expensive.
                  Last edited by Redd Foxx; 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
                    I had the Grant Professional training gloves for a few months and I've had the Winning lace-ups for a week. The Grants have some of the best wrist protection of any glove. They also offer the very best protection from punches in sparring. But, the knuckle area is not protective or fluffy like it appears. It's stiff and hard, aka a "puncher's glove". My fingers and knuckles were getting murdered when using Grants on the bag. Sparring was fine.

The Winnings have incredible protection in the knuckle area if your form is perfect. They will not protect you when you throw a bad hook. The wrist protection is average, IMO. I'm having to use double wraps because even though the Winnings have completely solved my hand pain, my wrists are now starting to hurt (something that never happened with any other glove). Hopefully, that will go away now that I'm wrapping heavier in the wrist. Unless you've tried a lot of gloves and you absolutely need something orthopedic, the Winnings are not necessary at all. I got them because I have huge hands but small joints so I'm susceptible to damage. I'll continue to use these but on days when my wrists need more support, I have a pair of Title Black-series bag gloves that I love.

If you're starting out, the IMF Tech's from Ringside are loved by many, and are cheap. As are the Title Gels. Getting something like that will give you good protection and if you find out that you need extra protection, you can upgrade. Dumping a lot of money into it right away isn't a good move. Many of the best guys at my gym use cheap gloves because they simply don't require anything expensive.

damn, thanks alot. You basically answered all my questions and made great recomendations. I am starting out but generally, i often experience discomfort in some of my joints, not just in boxing. I don't plan to do any sparring in the near future so im definately looking more into buying a quality bag glove. I am really considering the imf gloves but haven't really looked into any title gloves. I have one of their catalogs and their gloves look really good but ive read here that they don't last long?
                    As for the grant gloves, i had this misconception that because they look fluffy they will offer close to similar protection and comfort as the winnings. I heard they were punchers gloves but when i hear punchers gloves, reyes always come to mind to i kinda disregard the notion that grants are punchers gloves. This is due to the fact that mayweather swears by grants but has been know to have experienced issues with his hands and therfore would not use punchers gloves. THanks again

Comment

• Originally posted by Deltoro_10 View Post
                      damn, thanks alot. You basically answered all my questions and made great recomendations. I am starting out but generally, i often experience discomfort in some of my joints, not just in boxing. I don't plan to do any sparring in the near future so im definately looking more into buying a quality bag glove. I am really considering the imf gloves but haven't really looked into any title gloves. I have one of their catalogs and their gloves look really good but ive read here that they don't last long?
                      As for the grant gloves, i had this misconception that because they look fluffy they will offer close to similar protection and comfort as the winnings. I heard they were punchers gloves but when i hear punchers gloves, reyes always come to mind to i kinda disregard the notion that grants are punchers gloves. This is due to the fact that mayweather swears by grants but has been know to have experienced issues with his hands and therfore would not use punchers gloves. THanks again
                      IMF would be a good choice, based on what everyone tells me. I've tried the Fighting Sports glove from title and they were similar to the Black series in that they are very protective and feel stuffed, rather than foam injected (just a different feel, not necessarily better). Your hands are going to hurt no matter what at first. After a few months, when your hands get tough, you'll find out if you need more in the wrist, knuckle, etc.

Regarding Mayweather, that's an interesting thing. I read the same thing and ended up buying the Grants. Then, I realized that all that info is coming from GRANT, and May still rocks the Winning gloves in training. Grant says that Floyd swears by their gloves and they have plenty of photos with him wearing them. And, keep in mind that the ones they make specially for him are orthopedic, not the ones they normally sell. But, Floyd is still using Winning in the recent sparring vid and on HBO 24/7. I think the reason he goes with Grant in the ring is that they inflict more damage (Winning is a little spongy) and the fact that Grant will make him a custom-fit glove. But, it seems he prefers Winning in training.
                      Regardless what he uses, I know that I simply can't hurt my knuckes in the Winning, no matter how hard I hit, whereas the Grants felt as effective as wrapping a dish-cloth around my hand a'la Joe Pesci in Raging Bull.

Comment

Working...
                      X