Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can sleeping position affect weight loss?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can sleeping position affect weight loss?

Research suggests that getting better quality sleep may help individuals lose weight. Certain sleeping positions may improve a person’s sleep quality, although the best sleeping position can vary depending on several factors.

Different sleeping positions may affect a person’s sleep quality. Getting better quality sleep may help people maintain exercise and diet plans, which could lead to weight loss.

However, more research is necessary to determine if any particular sleeping position can directly cause weight loss.

This article examines how different sleeping positions may affect weight loss, whether a person can burn fat while sleeping, and tips for safe weight loss.

There is no evidence that one particular sleeping position directly causes weight loss.

However, depending on several factors, certain sleeping positions may improve sleep quality, which may help a person lose weight.

The following research suggests the quality and amount of sleep a person gets may affect weight loss or gain:

A 2022 clinical trial cites research that associates sleeping for fewer than 7 hours a night with weight gain and obesity.

The American Heart Association notes that preliminary research findings suggest people who get better sleep can follow exercise and diet plans more effectively, which could aid in weight loss.

Research has also found that people who experience sleep restriction may lose less fat mass than people who get enough quality sleep.

A lack of high quality sleep may also increase stress, which may lead to more cravings for high fat foods and weight gain.

These findings suggest positions that help a person have longer, better quality sleep may help with weight loss.

The best sleep position for a person may depend on any health conditions they have.

Research does not prove that sleeping on the left side can help a person lose weight. However, some research suggests that left-side sleeping may help prevent symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

A 2022 study found that people with GERD who slept on their left side experienced a significant reduction of symptoms, such as acid reflux.

People with GERD or those who experience acid reflux may get better quality sleep by lying on their left side. This may help prevent waking during the night or a reduction in sleep quality from uncomfortable symptoms, which could help with weight loss.

A person can position a pillow at the base of their spine to help them remain on their left side and place a pillow between their knees to help support their spine.

No clinical evidence suggests that sleeping on the right side can directly contribute to weight loss.

This sleeping position may worsen GERD symptoms, which could reduce sleep quality in some people. However, sleeping on the right side may also have certain benefits that could improve sleep quality.

A small 2022 study of 13 people found that people who preferred sleeping on their right side woke fewer times during the night and had shorter waking times than those who slept in other positions.

Sleeping on the right side may also increase space in the chest cavity, which may reduce pressure on the heart. However, more research is necessary to determine how this sleeping position affects the heart.

Sleeping on the side may also help people with heart failure sleep more comfortably, as it may reduce awareness of the heart beating against the chest wall. This could help improve sleep quality, which may contribute to weight loss.

As with left-side sleeping, a pillow at the base of the back and one between the knees can help support the body.

There is also no evidence from research to suggest supine sleeping, which involves lying flat on the back, can directly affect weight loss. However, sleeping on the back may help some people experience better quality sleep, which could contribute to weight loss.

The position may help alleviate lower back pain in some people and distribute body weight evenly to reduce stress on the spine, shoulders, and hips.

However, some people find the position uncomfortable, and it may worsen symptoms of lower back pain for some people, which could worsen sleep quality.

A small study involving 13 people found that those who preferred sleeping on their backs experienced more awakenings throughout the night than people who slept on their right side. This could affect sleep quality.

Supine sleeping may also increase a person’s risk of snoring and sleep apnea, which could worsen sleep quality.

No clinical evidence suggests sleeping prone on the stomach directly affects weight loss.

While sleeping on the stomach has some health benefits that may improve sleep quality in some people, experts typically do not recommend the position.

Prone sleeping can increase pressure on spinal tissues, which can lead to spinal symptoms such as pain and stiffness. This may decrease sleep quality, which could negatively affect weight loss.

Sleeping on the stomach may help improve breathing issues and reduce sleep apnea, which could improve sleep quality for some people. Improved sleep quality may contribute to weight loss, which could improve sleep apnea.

A person can place a firm pillow under their hips to raise the area and help relieve pressure on the spine in the prone position.

Can someone burn fat while sleeping?
    The body burns calories during sleep to continue performing certain functions but does not burn a significant amount of fat.

A person may lose weight during sleep. However, water loss accounts for the majority of this loss, according to older research.​

I hope so, I need all the help I can get

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post
      I hope so, I need all the help I can get
      I sleep on my stomach and side, not sure if thats doing me good

Comment

The position is probably not, but the time of sleep is. I recently came across an article on https://betterme.world/articles/is-4...-sleep-enough/and realized that I don't sleep enough. I want to increase my sleep time to 8-9 hours every night. I noticed that in the summer I slept so much and felt much better than now​​
        Last edited by cruzka; 01-30-2024, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Do you know how you could lose weight?

Stop stuffing your face with whatever is in reach.

Think about what you're putting in your body.

Control your mind and make it control your body.

It's as simple as that.

But with no exercise doe, your fight would be futile......................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            Do you know how you could lose weight?

Stop stuffing your face with whatever is in reach.

Think about what you're putting in your body.

Control your mind and make it control your body.

It's as simple as that.

But with no exercise doe, your fight would be futile......................Rockin'
            Sometimes its more about calories than the amount of the portions.

Comment

Working...
            X