No announcement yet.

What's comfortabele or as it should be

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's comfortabele or as it should be

I've been practicing for a good 5 months training from out the Southpaw stance. I don't know I've I should continue training in that stance. In the past I mostly trained as a Left hander in the Orthodox stance whit mixed results. I already started for one year as a southpaw 20 years ago but then switched to the orthodox stance.

In the orthodox stance I neglected my right hand and over-used my left jab hand. So basically I became a one handed fighter. That's why I came whit the idea to give the southpaw stance another try and also the mental thing that I am doing the right way and not beeing in the wrong stance and leading whit my powerhand

I really studied the ins and outs like, what are the most important points in the Southpaw stance. Keeping youre feet on the outside, controlling the lead hand, etc. Shadow boxed a tons of hours and also sparred a good amount of times in the Southpaw stance.

I don't really like the open stance in Southpaw vs Orthodox. It's a total different ball game as Orthodox vs Orthodox. Also the tactics that are important doesn't really appeal to me. I noticed that my movement is not as comfortable in the Southpaw stance and feel like I am more vulnerable.

Because I have a short height and reach I don't know ive the Southpaw stance is the most ideal. I often get out jabbed because we are lined up. And pressure fighting is also different. I also heard southpaw fighters are more counter and outside fighters then pressure inside fighting.

But I really don't know what the smartest thing is to do and need you're advice. Should I continue training in Southpaw stance because of the advantage often people talk about or the Orthodox were i feel most comfortable in.

Keeping you're powerhand in the rear makes a lot of sense and that the jab is mostly to set it up. Do I make a big mistake to lead whit my power hand instead of keeping it in the rear.

I know in the past there were other fighters that used the orthodox stance even the were left handed. Like Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya and Mike Tyson?

Do it which ever way you get hit the least.

And a sharp jab is a dangerous weapon if you know how to use it. ....................Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 05-11-2023, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Bronco McCart, I found out years later, was a converted othadoxed fighter.

His hooks had solid power behind them.

I wish that I'd known back then.....................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by tosssip View Post
        I've been practicing for a good 5 months training from out the Southpaw stance. I don't know I've I should continue training in that stance. In the past I mostly trained as a Left hander in the Orthodox stance whit mixed results. I already started for one year as a southpaw 20 years ago but then switched to the orthodox stance.

In the orthodox stance I neglected my right hand and over-used my left jab hand. So basically I became a one handed fighter. That's why I came whit the idea to give the southpaw stance another try and also the mental thing that I am doing the right way and not beeing in the wrong stance and leading whit my powerhand

I really studied the ins and outs like, what are the most important points in the Southpaw stance. Keeping youre feet on the outside, controlling the lead hand, etc. Shadow boxed a tons of hours and also sparred a good amount of times in the Southpaw stance.

I don't really like the open stance in Southpaw vs Orthodox. It's a total different ball game as Orthodox vs Orthodox. Also the tactics that are important doesn't really appeal to me for Convert CGPA to percentage. I noticed that my movement is not as comfortable in the Southpaw stance and feel like I am more vulnerable.

Because I have a short height and reach I don't know ive the Southpaw stance is the most ideal. I often get out jabbed because we are lined up. And pressure fighting is also different. I also heard southpaw fighters are more counter and outside fighters then pressure inside fighting.

But I really don't know what the smartest thing is to do and need you're advice. Should I continue training in Southpaw stance because of the advantage often people talk about or the Orthodox were i feel most comfortable in.

Keeping you're powerhand in the rear makes a lot of sense and that the jab is mostly to set it up. Do I make a big mistake to lead whit my power hand instead of keeping it in the rear.

I know in the past there were other fighters that used the orthodox stance even the were left handed. Like Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya and Mike Tyson?
        1. Comfort and Natural Ability: Consider which stance feels more comfortable and natural for you. If you feel more at ease and confident in the Orthodox stance, it might be worth giving it more attention.
        2. Previous Experience: Reflect on your previous experience as a Southpaw and an Orthodox fighter. If you were more successful or felt more effective in one stance over the other, that could be a good indicator of which direction to pursue.
        3. Height and Reach: As you mentioned, your height and reach might play a role in determining your stance. Generally, Southpaws tend to have a slight advantage in facing Orthodox fighters due to the open stance, but it's essential to work on your footwork and angles to leverage your strengths effectively.
        4. Style and Tactics: Different stances may lend themselves to different fighting styles. If you prefer pressure fighting and inside fighting, the Orthodox stance might be more suitable. On the other hand, if you're comfortable with counter-punching and outside fighting, the Southpaw stance might be a better fit.
        5. Training and Adaptability: Keep in mind that the longer you train in a particular stance, the more your skills will adapt to it. If you choose to stick with the Southpaw stance, consistent training and sparring in that stance will help you develop the necessary skills and movement.
        6. Power Hand: While keeping your power hand in the rear is a common strategy, some successful fighters, including the ones you mentioned (Cotto, De La Hoya, and Tyson), have used the Orthodox stance despite being left-handed. Leading with your power hand can surprise opponents, but it requires refining your technique to avoid becoming predictable.
        7. Coach and Trainer Input: Seek advice from your coach and trainers. They can observe your strengths, weaknesses, and progress and offer valuable insights to guide your decision.

Ultimately, there is no definitive right or wrong choice. Both stances have produced successful fighters. It's essential to assess your own attributes and preferences and decide which stance aligns best with your style and goals. Whichever stance you choose, consistent training, dedication, and adaptability will be crucial to your development as a boxer.

Comment

Working...
        X