No announcement yet.

Bench pressing and Punching Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench pressing and Punching Power

Why do boxer trainers act like bench pressing has nothing to do with punching power ? Deontay Wilder has one of the highest bench presses in boxing 365 lb and he hits the hardest other boxers in the past Rahman benching (500 lb) showed the same, but for some reason current trainers act like it does not help at all why is this ?

I think you need a healthy balance of it.

Nothing wrong with doing weightlifting exercises like that. I used to lift a lot back in the day and I know people who train boxing as well as weight training.

The key is to not over do it. Maybe weight lift heavy once or twice a week. Any more than that, and I think you’d be doing your hard work in boxing a disservice.

Same thing for running. You don’t want to be a marathon runner. You see those guys? Hardcore marathon runners are nothing but skin and bones. Again. It’s about the balance.

Comment

Medicine ball work is way better for punching power than the bench press, in my opinion.

Comment

I bench a lot and punch VERY hard.

Is correlation proof of causation, no. Take it for what you will.

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post
          I bench a lot and punch VERY hard.

Is correlation proof of causation, no. Take it for what you will.
          That is relative to who you are punching.

Some may think that you indeed do punch hard.

Some may think that you punch for sheet.

It just depends upon who you are punching.

What does power equal if you can't punch your target? ..............Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 12-30-2022, 10:05 PM.
          Stuntman Mike Stuntman Mike likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Some guys have thudding power and some have pure KO power

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Not relative to who you're punching tbh look at George foreman on the heavy bag and say he doesn't punch hard against anyone ...you can always tell when someone punches hard by their Bagwork

Look at Tyson on the bag too the way he sinked into any bag he hit

Two different kinds of power there and both devastating in their own way

George was thudding and Tyson was explosive

But you are right about one thing when you're actually in a ring to be able to land a powerful punch is a lot harder than landing something at 30 percent unless you know what youre doing and set it up

i was looking at your record the other day and you stopped a guy with 20 or so fights and he ended up with a good few losses but only two people stopped him and one was you so thats impressive you must have had a decent hook or right hand

Or you could just be good at disguising body shots we all know they don't have to be devastating to put someone down they just have to be disguised well

Comment

Knuckle push ups and one arm pushups. Hitting the stationary. Those seem to work best specifically for punching power.

Comment

I’ve lifted weights since I was fifteen. Had my weight training certificate since I was 19 and redone several times. I think people need to trust their own experiences more than anything though. Course some people can’t be trusted.
                  Bench press was always my weakest lift comparably to most everything else. It doesn’t mean I didn’t work on it at times and make gains. I’m just not a natural at it. Arms and legs blow up with little effort. My first training partner was all chest and shoulders, kill me on those lifts. I’d kill him on the limbs.
                  If bench was my weakness then punching power was my strength. I know that sounds braggart but I’m just being honest. There’s 16yrs old benching close to 400lbs on YouTube. I won’t ever lie about any of my lifts cause that’s tacky. Stronger people motivate me. People who improve their weaknesses motivate me. Anybody good at anything motivates me. There’s always someone tougher and stronger.
                  Be it punching, tackling, running, rugby or football, my power was alway the most impressive thing that I produced. I could always hit. Bench has always been something I connect with the least. I can throw a good spiral mid range like an average Joe but I can’t launch it deep like anyone sort of talented. I don’t know how their shoulders hold up, it kills mine pretty quickly. On the other hand I can pound a bag all day long, I love it, and feel no issues. It makes all the sense to me in the world.
                  I think you can improve but there’s a lot of things you just have to be hard wired for. Look at footwork in boxing. Some people are just awful at it but great at other aspects.
                  I was told throw a hundred punches. Take the best one out of them all and try to make them all like that on the next set. Then just continue the process.
                  Trust what seems to work for you. Only you can feel your own hands. Check the wear pattern on your glove. That helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
                    I’ve lifted weights since I was fifteen. Had my weight training certificate since I was 19 and redone several times. I think people need to trust their own experiences more than anything though. Course some people can’t be trusted.
                    Bench press was always my weakest lift comparably to most everything else. It doesn’t mean I didn’t work on it at times and make gains. I’m just not a natural at it. Arms and legs blow up with little effort. My first training partner was all chest and shoulders, kill me on those lifts. I’d kill him on the limbs.
                    If bench was my weakness then punching power was my strength. I know that sounds braggart but I’m just being honest. There’s 16yrs old benching close to 400lbs on YouTube. I won’t ever lie about any of my lifts cause that’s tacky. Stronger people motivate me. People who improve their weaknesses motivate me. Anybody good at anything motivates me. There’s always someone tougher and stronger.
                    Be it punching, tackling, running, rugby or football, my power was alway the most impressive thing that I produced. I could always hit. Bench has always been something I connect with the least. I can throw a good spiral mid range like an average Joe but I can’t launch it deep like anyone sort of talented. I don’t know how their shoulders hold up, it kills mine pretty quickly. On the other hand I can pound a bag all day long, I love it, and feel no issues. It makes all the sense to me in the world.
                    I think you can improve but there’s a lot of things you just have to be hard wired for. Look at footwork in boxing. Some people are just awful at it but great at other aspects.
                    I was told throw a hundred punches. Take the best one out of them all and try to make them all like that on the next set. Then just continue the process.
                    Trust what seems to work for you. Only you can feel your own hands. Check the wear pattern on your glove. That helped me.
                    Listen to The Beast! ^^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                    X