No announcement yet.

How timing of eating affects metabolism and weight gain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How timing of eating affects metabolism and weight gain

A study in mice found that eating burns more energy when restricted to certain times of the day.

Eating a high calorie diet can lead to weight gain and obesity. But the health consequences of diet depend partly on when in the day meals occur. Eating when you're normally inactive (night for humans) encourages obesity. This suggests that obesity results in part from a mismatch between meal timing and the natural day-night cycle, or circadian rhythm. But the mechanisms by which this happens aren’t fully understood.

An NIH-funded research team led by Dr. Joseph Bass at Northwestern University studied the metabolic effects of a high fat diet in mice when feeding was restricted to either daytime or nighttime. The results appeared in Science on October 20, 2022.

Since mice are nocturnal, they normally eat at night. Mice restricted to eating only at night gained less weight than mice restricted to eating only during the day or mice able to eat at any time. The night-fed mice also expended more energy and consumed more oxygen than day-fed mice. However, the different groups ate the same amount and had similar activity patterns. This suggested that the night-fed mice burned more calories by producing more heat.

To test this idea, the researchers genetically engineered mice to boost heat production by their fat tissue. These mice did not gain extra weight when fed during the daytime versus the nighttime. The mice also had higher levels of a nutrient called creatine in their fat cells. Creatine stores excess energy during times of low energy demand and releases it to power the cell during times of high demand. But creatine can also release its stored energy as heat in a process known as a futile creatine cycle.

The team wanted to test whether creatine was behind the effect of feeding time on weight gain. So, they studied the effect of time-restricted feeding in mice engineered to be creatine-deficient. In these mice, eating only at night did not reduce weight gain or increase energy expenditure compared to daytime eating.

These results suggest that, as a result of nighttime feeding, more heat was produced from the energy stored in creatine. This, in turn, raised total energy use and reduced weight gain in the mice. It also suggests that circadian rhythms influence creatine metabolism. To test this idea, the researchers engineered mice with increased activity in genes that control circadian rhythms. These mice gained less weight on a high-fat diet and used more oxygen than control mice. They also had better glucose tolerance and increased futile creatine cycling.

High-fat diets have been shown to suppress genes involved in circadian rhythms, particularly in fat tissue. These findings give further insights into the connections between diet, metabolism, and the body’s circadian clock. They also provide an explanation for the benefits of time-restricted feeding.

“The clock is sensitive to the time people eat, especially in fat tissue, and that sensitivity is thrown off by high-fat diets,” Bass says. “We still don’t understand why that is, but what we do know is that as animals become obese, they start to eat more when they should be asleep. This research shows why that matters.”

—by Brian Doctrow, Ph.D.​

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    A study in mice found that eating burns more energy when restricted to certain times of the day.

Eating a high calorie diet can lead to weight gain and obesity. But the health consequences of diet depend partly on when in the day meals occur. Eating when you're normally inactive (night for humans) encourages obesity. This suggests that obesity results in part from a mismatch between meal timing and the natural day-night cycle, or circadian rhythm. But the mechanisms by which this happens aren’t fully understood.

An NIH-funded research team led by Dr. Joseph Bass at Northwestern University studied the metabolic effects of a high fat diet in mice when feeding was restricted to either daytime or nighttime. The results appeared in Science on October 20, 2022.

Since mice are nocturnal, they normally eat at night. Mice restricted to eating only at night gained less weight than mice restricted to eating only during the day or mice able to eat at any time. The night-fed mice also expended more energy and consumed more oxygen than day-fed mice. However, the different groups ate the same amount and had similar activity patterns. This suggested that the night-fed mice burned more calories by producing more heat.

To test this idea, the researchers genetically engineered mice to boost heat production by their fat tissue. These mice did not gain extra weight when fed during the daytime versus the nighttime. The mice also had higher levels of a nutrient called creatine in their fat cells. Creatine stores excess energy during times of low energy demand and releases it to power the cell during times of high demand. But creatine can also release its stored energy as heat in a process known as a futile creatine cycle.

The team wanted to test whether creatine was behind the effect of feeding time on weight gain. So, they studied the effect of time-restricted feeding in mice engineered to be creatine-deficient. In these mice, eating only at night did not reduce weight gain or increase energy expenditure compared to daytime eating.

These results suggest that, as a result of nighttime feeding, more heat was produced from the energy stored in creatine. This, in turn, raised total energy use and reduced weight gain in the mice. It also suggests that circadian rhythms influence creatine metabolism. To test this idea, the researchers engineered mice with increased activity in genes that control circadian rhythms. These mice gained less weight on a high-fat diet and used more oxygen than control mice. They also had better glucose tolerance and increased futile creatine cycling.

High-fat diets have been shown to suppress genes involved in circadian rhythms, particularly in fat tissue. These findings give further insights into the connections between diet, metabolism, and the body’s circadian clock. They also provide an explanation for the benefits of time-restricted feeding.

“The clock is sensitive to the time people eat, especially in fat tissue, and that sensitivity is thrown off by high-fat diets,” Bass says. “We still don’t understand why that is, but what we do know is that as animals become obese, they start to eat more when they should be asleep. This research shows why that matters.”

—by Brian Doctrow, Ph.D.​
    I try now to eat after 7PM, but it doesn't always work out that way

Comment

The idea that eating at night makes you gain weight stems from animal studies, which suggest that the body may use consumed calories differently past a certain time of day. Mice that eat in opposition to their circadian rhythm gain significantly more weight than mice that only eat during waking hours. In fact, studies in humans indicate that it’s not necessarily the time you eat, but how much you eat that matters.​

Comment

Originally posted by lamarclark09 View Post
        The idea that eating at night makes you gain weight stems from animal studies, which suggest that the body may use consumed calories differently past a certain time of day. Mice that eat in opposition to their circadian rhythm gain significantly more weight than mice that only eat during waking hours. In fact, studies in humans indicate that it’s not necessarily the time you eat, but how much you eat that matters.​
        Yes, more so how many calories you take in per day.

Comment

Yes, more so how many calories you take in per day.
          If it's about weight gain more than 700 calories.

Comment

Originally posted by lamarclark09 View Post

If it's about weight gain more than 700 calories.
            Yes, but getting an extra 700 calories every day can add up.
            lamarclark09 lamarclark09 likes this.

Comment

Yes, but getting an extra 700 calories every day can add up.
              Definitely. Consensus is 3500 calories make up a pound. You ad or take away 700 calories a day to what you are accustomed to and you will feel it. Most likely it will be a real struggle at first. I mean unless you are just drinking melted Hagen Daz to get fat. Course you will still feel awful.
              The trillion dollar fitness industry sells plans/diets/workouts and often the “tips” they advertise are really just splitting hairs. Take two identical twins on the same training program and feed them the same foods… even if they consume them at opposite times or as different a way as possible, they are still consuming the same things. Manipulation of a set amount of anything is not going to make drastic differences in gains or losses. Where it will affect you is how you feel. Eat too much at once and you can get bloated and feel lousy. Eat just a tiny bit spaced out and you may never feel satisfied. Everyone is different though in what they tolerate. Also blood sugar maintenance can vary from person to person. I can go forever without eating and not feel bad. Some people get light headed.
              There’s so many other things you can constantly improve at in your training other than just trying to manipulate what you are already doing.
              Now they say that the “anabolic window” is a myth. That’s the consumption of protein within less than say an hour after weight training for maximum efficiency. ( not that it was ever that detailed ) Still protein builds muscle so if you eat after your workout then at least you are not going to forget. Plus you’ve used up resources so why not replenish them? Also most people build up an appetite after exertion. The point is it’s more important to consume what you actually set out to consume (no cheating, no skipping ) than thinking you can make up some difference with special timing or gimmicks. Space the food out the way that is most convenient and makes you feel the best. That’s going to be different for everyone.

Remember the best workout is the one that you are willing to do.
              OctoberRed OctoberRed likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post

Definitely. Consensus is 3500 calories make up a pound. You ad or take away 700 calories a day to what you are accustomed to and you will feel it. Most likely it will be a real struggle at first. I mean unless you are just drinking melted Hagen Daz to get fat. Course you will still feel awful.
                The trillion dollar fitness industry sells plans/diets/workouts and often the “tips” they advertise are really just splitting hairs. Take two identical twins on the same training program and feed them the same foods… even if they consume them at opposite times or as different a way as possible, they are still consuming the same things. Manipulation of a set amount of anything is not going to make drastic differences in gains or losses. Where it will affect you is how you feel. Eat too much at once and you can get bloated and feel lousy. Eat just a tiny bit spaced out and you may never feel satisfied. Everyone is different though in what they tolerate. Also blood sugar maintenance can vary from person to person. I can go forever without eating and not feel bad. Some people get light headed.
                There’s so many other things you can constantly improve at in your training other than just trying to manipulate what you are already doing.
                Now they say that the “anabolic window” is a myth. That’s the consumption of protein within less than say an hour after weight training for maximum efficiency. ( not that it was ever that detailed ) Still protein builds muscle so if you eat after your workout then at least you are not going to forget. Plus you’ve used up resources so why not replenish them? Also most people build up an appetite after exertion. The point is it’s more important to consume what you actually set out to consume (no cheating, no skipping ) than thinking you can make up some difference with special timing or gimmicks. Space the food out the way that is most convenient and makes you feel the best. That’s going to be different for everyone.

Remember the best workout is the one that you are willing to do.
                Exactly. Right now I'm cutting weight and it's always a struggle once it gets late at night, but now I'm used to timing my meals and calories. I ate quite a bit at Thanksgiving, but it was my only meal of the day
                Blond Beast Blond Beast likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

Exactly. Right now I'm cutting weight and it's always a struggle once it gets late at night, but now I'm used to timing my meals and calories. I ate quite a bit at Thanksgiving, but it was my only meal of the day
                  Yeah, like everything willpower tends to fade as the day gets long. Hardly anyone wakes up defeated and starts stuffing their face right away. Routines work, things get easier, things get more normal. I know for me, and I struggle at doing it this way, is to keep things as even as possible. My fault is some days I can take a day off the gym and fast all day. Feels good as I have digestion issues. Nice to have a reset with no food upsetting me. Yet a day or two later I’ll feel like I need to consume everything. Count your calories accurately. Trust the princess. Weight can fluctuate day to day but over time it should trend in the direction you are aiming at if your are being true to the diet.
                  Yep on holidays with friends and family eat to please your hosts andrea just make a point of lifting heavy on that day and know you are at least building some muscle.
                  markusmod markusmod likes this.

Comment

I am a little surprised by your knowledge of the subject. You have described everything in great detail, but a few biochemical nuances are also worth mentioning. There are biologically active substances that work at certain times of the day. Or vitamin D, which at night triggers a cascade of reactions that increases metabolism but also causes insomnia. That is why it should be taken in the morning. Other substances have a similar effect. You can further explore apetamin weight gain to see what I am talking about and experiment on yourself. Eating only at night while being active, but also sleeping and resting during the day - in the end, you will only gain fat mass.
                    Last edited by NelloTesse; 12-08-2022, 05:35 AM.
                    OctoberRed OctoberRed likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X