Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is wrong with weaving against uppercut to chin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with weaving against uppercut to chin?

I have only done 11 sparrings with face punches allowed. Done a lot of body punch only sparrings but that experience does not help much. (Still helps but not that much.)

Here is the thing. I sort of use philly shell. When i get an uppercut to chin, i will roll my torso so that my left arm can block the uppercut trajectory.

But sometimes, and I commonly do, I weave to right against uppercut or right hook. I successfully dodge. If i get another right hook to temple or uppercut to chin while my head is still down to right, i just bring it back to up and center. The right hook lands on my shoulder. The uppercut misses. Is this all right or why is weaving against uppercuts a bad idea?

I am moving closer to potential mma gyms in a couple months at the latest, and i will ask my teacher to do more straight punches to my chin and uppercuts to my chin in the leveled down technical sparring. Then i will test it out. But i don’t want to commute 3 hours again and was curious before i get to test this out.

Originally posted by wilberbear View Post
    I have only done 11 sparrings with face punches allowed. Done a lot of body punch only sparrings but that experience does not help much. (Still helps but not that much.)

Here is the thing. I sort of use philly shell. When i get an uppercut to chin, i will roll my torso so that my left arm can block the uppercut trajectory.

But sometimes, and I commonly do, I weave to right against uppercut or right hook. I successfully dodge. If i get another right hook to temple or uppercut to chin while my head is still down to right, i just bring it back to up and center. The right hook lands on my shoulder. The uppercut misses. Is this all right or why is weaving against uppercuts a bad idea?

I am moving closer to potential mma gyms in a couple months at the latest, and i will ask my teacher to do more straight punches to my chin and uppercuts to my chin in the leveled down technical sparring. Then i will test it out. But i don’t want to commute 3 hours again and was curious before i get to test this out.
    If you are getting your head out of the way of the shot, while not making new openings, than you are doing fine................Rockin'
    L. Cipher L. Cipher likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

If you are getting your head out of the way of the shot, while not making new openings, than you are doing fine................Rockin'
      I second this, Rockin.
      Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Working...
      X