No announcement yet.

Keep on training ... outside the ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep on training ... outside the ring

“Boxing is no good for anybody. Why would anyone let himself get hit in the head?”

Matthew Saad Muhammad, World light heavyweight champion 197981, in a post-career interview.

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
    “Boxing is no good for anybody. Why would anyone let himself get hit in the head?”

Matthew Saad Muhammad, World light heavyweight champion 197981, in a post-career interview.
    Tell that to Mayweather's bank account..... Canelo too.

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

Tell that to Mayweather's bank account..... Canelo too.
      Can't argue with that

Just that, when we are in our 20s, our 50th or 60th birthday seem so far away, so we don't bother thinking about it.
      Though, when we reach 40, we're nearing the best time in our lives.

It describes my experience, which doesn't prove much, but several surveys have shown that that's generally the case.
      We get more relaxed by age, probably because testosterone and estrogen don't influence our bodies and minds that
      much anymore, and we can approach life in a more sober way.

However, it requires a healthy brain. Taking repeated blows to your head when you are young, and there is this big risk
      that you lose the good years that are awaiting you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post

However, it requires a healthy brain. Taking repeated blows to your head when you are young, and there is this big risk
        that you lose the good years that are awaiting you.

For a fighter it appears that the younger that you start the better. Yes, it does mean more damage but if you don't burn out than you will definately be ring wise. Oba Carr being a prime example. He fought 'em all. I haven't heard how he's doing now, I hope that he is well............Rockin'

Comment

I really think amateurs should put the headgear back on. Especially since that 19 year old
          from Jordan died in a tournament. This is a dangerous sport and should not be taken lightly.
          But that being said boxing did a lot for me as a young man I learned hard work humility and determination. Definitely worth the twisted nose and dead brain cells that I took.
          From what I have seen a younger guy can recover better from a KO or concussion than an older guy. The few fighters I know that are slurring their words or worse all stayed too long and took a bad beating

Comment

tenor.gif

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
              You gotta turn that sheet over. And any fighter worth anything would put some sauce on those ribs, so easy. Elbows in, while you throw the shot and when you bring it back to position. If one of those 'punches' land all that you'll have behind it would be your bicep, get your weight behind it. Other than that, nice headband.............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
                I really think amateurs should put the headgear back on. Especially since that 19 year old
                from Jordan died in a tournament. This is a dangerous sport and should not be taken lightly.
                But that being said boxing did a lot for me as a young man I learned hard work humility and determination. Definitely worth the twisted nose and dead brain cells that I took.
                From what I have seen a younger guy can recover better from a KO or concussion than an older guy. The few fighters I know that are slurring their words or worse all stayed too long and took a bad beating
                Head gear actually makes the brain bounce twice in the skull when punched. First from the initial impact of the blow and then again when the glove reaches it's ultimate compression, a compounded impact. For the brain, it is better not to have headgear. The only fear that I had about it was that many could be clashing heads, and getting cut up, in those amateur bouts. Doing that (colliding heads) just leaves a solid pit of pain in the middle of your mind. Also, I thought about a boxer eating a solid one and falling straight back, the back of his head would hit the ring floor if he was out. The headgears have a pad at the back of the rig for protection against that. Shots to the back of the head will funk you up.

With the slurring, I know many who are doing that. Some ex-world champions with so many more that never got there. Greg Rice, my amateur trainer, told me to stick with the amateurs because I would be hurt in the pros. They all get hurt, he would say. It took some time but I found out exactly what he meant. I was also trained by Greg Owens early on. He called himself the leprechaun, that always stuck with me with what he was able to do with James. He was cool though, Rice and I just clicked one night and so it was.

I still believe that more damage is done to a fighter in all of sparring, but if you want to learn how to fight, in the gym is where you do it. If you want to fight like a dog than you must train like a dog, including the sparring. Especially in the sparring.

Anybody who gets involved is rolling the dice with your life. You may not die because of your involvement with the sport but you certainly can be altered. I saw that you mentioned a death in the ams, they are rare but can happen at any time. Football sees multiple deaths every year and doctors have been sighting similarities between the retired athletes of the sports.

It is some scary sheet, but it is also a natural high that nothing else in this world can compare to. I decided to roll the dice. I paid my dues in the gym multiple times over and I became a dog. I paid the price but never even saw how far that I could go with the sport. I did start reffing the ams and it was great. I took my test with the ABC to begin reffing the pros, I passed it. But then life pulled me down to Missouri, I had a stroke, and now I'm typing stuff. You are true, boxing is no joke.................Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 05-02-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
                  Amateurs do wear headgear. Elite and international competition thought most of the time the headgear is off. Back home in Chihuahua we dont wear no headgear.. nor any gloves.
                  Last edited by Juanito Barajas; 05-02-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanito Barajas View Post

Amateurs do wear headgear. Elite and international competition thought most of the time the headgear is off. Back home in Chihuahua we dont wear no headgear.. nor any gloves.
                    Explains why so many amateurs go pro early out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X