No announcement yet.

Types of speedball

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of speedball

Okay, probably a simple question but help out a noob to this training thing. I've been looking at the speedballs hung from a platform but what about the other sort thats suspended between two elastic cords? is there a difference in training methods or effectiveness? I'm mainly looking to burn some fat and sharpen my reflexes. A little help please

Cheers, Lol

The ball with 2 cords is called a double end bag or crazy bag. Yes they have different training methods between them, the speed bag (or ball) is used for hand-eye coordination, arm endurance, timing, etc. The double-end bag is a bag you can basically spar against, do to the fact that it can hit back. So you can practice offense, defense, and movement with the double-end bag. While improving various aspects of your game at the same time.

If space and money allow it, I would get both. As to they each have their own benefits.

As to which one burns the most calories, it depends on your intensity, but I would say double-end bag (if your training intense) because your moving your whole body around.

If you have more questions about speed bags, find the "speedbag" fellow on the forums, he has a good site on the training tool.

Comment

Thanks mate, think I'll get the double ender first.

Cheers, lol

Comment

Speed bag and Double end bag.

Hi Lol999

Check here for Speed Ball Training:
        http://www.speedbagcentral.com
        it is a teaching site for understanding and learning the speed ball. ( speed BAG in USA)

A Double End Bag focuses on timing, movement and targeting. But unlike a speed ball, there is no swivel, so it doesn't rebound or "recoil" for a fixed distance, so I think it also adds in a larger element of movement - and it can hit you back if you don't move or move wrong.

Begin with Basics. Start from your stance and begin with Light Jabs. Get a feel for the rebound and notice how the harder you hit, the further the bag goes. This will change the timing of your next punch. You can actually count the "rebounds" or recoils of the bag, just like a speed bag. You hit it, it goes "(1) away" from you (1)", then "(2) toward" you then (3) away from you. You can even hear the bag swish as it recoils. The harder you hit it the faster AND FARTHER it recoils, so you may have to get out of the way (Slip, Bob, Weave...). The "recoiling angle" will be in direction relation to your fist direction, and will change with each punch, but I think one secret of the Double End Bag is that it really doesn't make any difference what the "recoil angle" is, because at one point in every recoil it has to be in the center under it's cord, or the in the "Hitting Zone". At that moment it can be hit by EITHER fist from ANY direction. That's where the timing comes in. You pick the "time" or moment to punch and catch the bag in the center hitting zone. You have to sense, feel or anticipate the swing and movement of the bag. Like most things on small bags (..and moving heads) You have to FEEL THE FLOW of it's movement. Waiting for your eyes to tell you when will probably have you "late".

One Sample Drill is to repetitively hit it on "1" recoil ( Light jabs ), and then throw a Cross or Straight Punch. Let it Recoil 3 times, then Light Jabs again. Then progress it by one punch. After the Light Jabs and Cross, throw a Hook after 2 recoils. (The timing for the hook will change depending on how hard you threw the Straight Punch..) After the hook, Sense the recoiling bag and begin jabbing again. It's all timing.

You want to work these combinations up to "speed", or doing them fast and hitting the target cleanly. I would suggest starting slow, Hitting LIGHTLY and really working the proper stance, weight shift, body flow and hand positions. This is not a power bag, and losing form will only find you wilding swinging and probably missing, which hurts the elbows. Work up through 2,3,4 punch combinations. I like to do that and try to finish back with the light tapping jags again. Mix your punches in various orders and sense how your body has to move to put your weight into each punch.

Another little Drill. Pick two punches and work them forward and reverse. A sample is:
        From Stance, Do a (A) Cross or Straight punch, then a (B) Hook. Do this for 1,2,3 times in succession. then reverse it. Do the Hook, the Cross, for 1,2,3 times in succession. Notice how the power in each will change the timing, as will the number of recoils you use. Stay on balance and move with the bag. Then choose other two or three punch combinations.

Hint: It is not easy and will demand some concentrated focus and patience on your part. Try to ignore the changing recoil angles. Your target is the hitting zone.

There have been several posts online either here or at RossBoxing.com about DEB training. you ight search them

http://p201.ezboard.com/brossboxingforum

Here is an online article from Balasz
        www.balazsboxing.com/theg...double.htm

Hope this helps. Train Safely and enjoy your Double End Bag. It's a tricky little feller....

Speedbag
        put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout.
        Last edited by speedbag; 03-01-2005, 02:17 AM. Reason: lost links

Comment

ye

speed bag has really helped me with my rythm

Comment

Thanks for your help Speedbag, I'll be getting the double ender soon, hopefully I'll be mote hit than miss

Lol

Comment

I have a question about the double end bag, i use it at the gym but wanted one at home so i would have truly superior reflexes

I just bought one to put in my house, but in my shop the floor is a concrete slab and theres nowhere to screw it into the floor. any suggestions?

Comment

ya

Originally posted by Slipx
                I have a question about the double end bag, i use it at the gym but wanted one at home so i would have truly superior reflexes

I just bought one to put in my house, but in my shop the floor is a concrete slab and theres nowhere to screw it into the floor. any suggestions?

u can put some weights on it
                make sure u put a lot though

Comment

That's what I've got to do. I'm hanging mine in the laundry room(don't ask) so I cant make a permanant floor fixing. I'm gonna try a 60Kg stack, that should hold it. Hopefully speedbag gets delivered today

Lol

Comment

thanks i was looking for something like this

Comment

Working...
                    X