No announcement yet.

how to determine a good or bad trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to determine a good or bad trainer

heys guys, i am having trouble deciding who to go to...on one hand i have a guy who is right down the street from me but i get the impression from his former career that he was a more local guy who built up his record fighting in the same state which is tennessee, not much competition here...on the other hand the other guy was a golden gloves champ back in the day...not sure if he did any pro fights or not...i need to know how to pick the good one from the bad...i don't want to waste my time when i could be learning so much more somewhere else

The trainer is only as good as the fighters he trains. Check the standard of his fighters for the best representation of his skills.

Comment

His personal boxing career has very little to do with what kind of trainer he is. A local amature boxer could be a better trainer than an accomplished pro. I would check them both out.

Comment

see how good his fighters are

Comment

if ur stuck between 2 u already met, id go with ur gut

Comment

Really the trainers career isnt that important just as long as he molds good with you. Its really hard to tell for me cause ive only had 2 different trainers and each were really cool.

Comment

the trainers own boxing career means jack ****. go to the gym, see how your personalitys match, see how much he is willing to invest in you (its easy to get a good idea), see how good his fighters are.. that type of stuff u should do, dont be looking at his boxing career.

Comment

As a trainer myself, let me tell you the career you have means nothing on the type of trainer you are. For example, look at someone like Phil Jackson or Pat Riley, they were both avg players in the NBA but great coaches.

Then you look at someone like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, great players but terrible coaches. Sometimes, a trainer can tell you how to do things better than he can show you. Freddy Roach was an avg pro boxer but is considered a great trainer.

I think what makes a great trainer and what I try and do as a trainer is a couple of things. First, I don't train everyone the same, that's just stupid but you would be surprised as to how many people do this. Every fighter is different and everyone has strengths and weaknesses that you need to exploit.

Second, you need to be a good motivator to the ones who need it and stand back and give some the space they need to figure some stuff out for themselves. You almost have to be like a parent or babysitter sometimes....

I get attached to these kids and they come and talk to me about things in their life that I'm sure they probably don't even tell their parents. I have to be smart in the advice I give and also when not to say anything.

Basically, just go in there and see which guy you feel comfortable with. Which one gives you the attention you need. Be honest with yourself though, most people think they are self motivated when in reality most people need to be motivated to get 100% out of them.

Comment

Working...
                X