No announcement yet.

[Review] Fight Gear Competition Headgear w/ Cheeks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Fight Gear Competition Headgear w/ Cheeks

This review is for the Fight Gear Competition Headgear with Cheeks. First a little about my background - I'm an amateur boxer who trains 4x a week in the gym and 2x a week on my own. I spar with this headgear 2 to 3 times a week. I am 20 years old, 5'8" and 130lbs. I have been using this particular headgear for two years.

The Product: I made my purchase for the product at CombatSports.com. The headgear cost $60. It is USA Boxing approved. The headgear is all leather construction and it very durable. We have some of these headgears in the gym that are a couple years old and used by many people and they are still in good shape. The top of the headgear has a lace-tie adjustment. It’s pretty easy to adjust, you just take the lacing, pull it together until it feels tight on your head, and then tie it like a shoelace. The rear fastening is a velcro fastening. It’s better than those rear-tie fastenings because it’s easier to adjust. The neck strap is a belt buckle fastener, not one of those cheap velcro straps. It’s reinforced so it won’t tear with continual use. It comes in many different colors as well which is nice. The cheek protectors rest well on the face, they don’t come out too far so they don’t cause blind spots. There is not much ear padding directly on the ear, just a leather piece that goes across the ear hole (see picture below). The inner lining is a soft material (might be leather, can’t tell) that doesn’t absorb the sweat, so once you take the headgear off, the sweat evaporates and the headgear dries quickly.

Using it: I have used this headgear for many, many rounds of sparring. It is very durable and has held up very well. Even though it is a competition headgear, I like to wear it for sparring, because I want to get used to taking shots with competition headgear on. The headgear offers good protection, I’ve never been cut and my cheeks have never been bruised. Although there isn’t much padding on the ears, I haven’t had any problems with my ears getting sore, bruised, cut, or cauliflowered. The visibility is great, I have had no problems with blind-spots while using this headgear.

Overall: Obviously if you need extra protection for your nose, eyes, or ears, this is not the headgear for you. But if you just need a very durable, sturdy headgear, this is a great value. I’ve used Everlast and Titan headgear and they don’t compare to this. My guess is that Winning and Grant are probably better than this headgear, but obviously those are much more expensive. I would highly recommend this headgear.

Hope this review helps some of you guys who are considering buying some headgear. Any questions? Just reply here or send me a message.

Fight Gear Competition Headgear w/ Cheeks

Comment

nice. i was thinking about getting this one for my fight but i went wit the everlast competition one instead. and i like training with the no cheek headgear. i feel i can see better in it

Comment

Yah, the cheek protectors are definitely personal preference. I like them, I haven't really had any vision problems with them. They are kind of out of the "eye line" so they don't really cause any blind spots. This headgear does come in open faced as well, so if someone doesn't like the cheek protectors, they can go with open faced.

Comment

nice review good k coming at ya

Comment

Working...
          X