No announcement yet.

Pivot when throwing the jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gerardofpr View Post
    No offense taken, sounds like a very good textbook explanation, but in reality, your in with a savy guy in the ring, don't have to be fast but with good timing and after a few minutes as soon as you'r picking that foot up to jab, he's throwing an overhand right or hook. In my case I rather faint and find the distance than step in with jabs. There are certain fighters you can get away with doing that, others it could be a problem.
    Stepping up with the lead foot? Your lead foot and lead hand are doing things at the same exact time.....lol.

You must be a grand master if you can see people's feet moving and be able to throw the right hand over the top of the jab.

I will tell you who I just sparred with this past week, no bull**** honest to God and I never do this in this forum. Jean Pascal, Super Middle Weight title holder. He is a beast in the ring and he wasn't landing clean right hands over my left jab. He's training in my gym fror his fight in Montreal on the 19th I believe.

Here's Finito Lopez "stepping" into the jab, with a moving and non moving opponent. He doesn't seem to be getting countered and he fought some great fighters. It's boxing 101 one man, to tell someone NOT to do that would be like telling someone not to dribble the basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
      Stepping up with the lead foot? Your lead foot and lead hand are doing things at the same exact time.....lol.

You must be a grand master if you can see people's feet moving and be able to throw the right hand over the top of the jab.

I will tell you who I just sparred with this past week, no bull**** honest to God and I never do this in this forum. Jean Pascal, Super Middle Weight title holder. He is a beast in the ring and he wasn't landing clean right hands over my left jab. He's training in my gym fror his fight in Montreal on the 19th I believe.

Here's Finito Lopez "stepping" into the jab, with a moving and non moving opponent. He doesn't seem to be getting countered and he fought some great fighters. It's boxing 101 one man, to tell someone NOT to do that would be like telling someone not to dribble the basketball.

I don't doubt your success, but I find it ironic you have JCC in your av, who was a master of throwing overhands and hooks to counter fighters coming in with jabs. Like I said, it depends on who you have in front of you, and no you don't have to be Floyd Mayweather to counter someone stepping in with a jab, if it has worked for you and your fighters all this years, hey, stick with it.

Comment

as long as you keep your shoulder up when you jab you should have no problem blocking rights coming over your jab.

what does that have to do with stepping and pivioting?

Stepping and pivioting should be fine as long as you keep as wedge like as possiable, guard up, you dont have a pattern, and dont telegraph your movements. AKA know the basics and use them

stepping with a jab does not change the jab or where the jab is coming from so it still is a jab but with a pattern or a savvy oponnenet stepping can be noticed....you dont need to see their foot to notice their whole body is coming closer or increased preassure.

if you pivot with your jab your either not punching right or not jabbing right. if your trying to pivot with your jab i think the shoulder should be moving the fist not the shoulder moving the bicep and the bicep moving the fist. should be like the shoulder is throwing the hand out their give you a nice colapsing arch and a good whipping motion. if your trying to use your bicep you wont be relaxed and it wont be any where as powerful and fast as it could be other wise. this takes alot out of you and isnt very accurate.

the jab uses the twisting motion of the bicep and brachii to throw the punch and snap. its very accurate and not very powerfull so it dosent require whole body energy its very good if you want to hit something and you want a specific reaction from that hit. not if you want to take some one down.

so a jab should not be pivoted with and a pivoted punch should not use the bicep. stepping is fine just dont do it alot.

both have their place both are their own thing. In my opinion

Comment

I don't doubt your success, but I find it ironic you have JCC in your av, who was a master of throwing overhands and hooks to counter fighters coming in with jabs. Like I said, it depends on who you have in front of you, and no you don't have to be Floyd Mayweather to counter someone stepping in with a jab, if it has worked for you and your fighters all this years, hey, stick with it.
          LOL, I'm not saying I don't get countered, believe me I do. Especially the older I get I have more and more trouble with young super fast fighters but I'm just trying to say that stepping in with the jab is basic boxing.

You also have to remember, I'm a trainer now and I teach young up and coming amateurs so I have to teach them the basics first and foremost.

I'm not trying to dissrespect you or question your boxing knowledge. Over they years I have learned that there are many ways to do certain things and it all depends on your skill level and attributes you carry.

Comment

It seems as though there are a lot of answers from people that really aren't even sure what they're talking about.

'Don't step with a jab'?

'Don't pivot'?

'Don't use power with your jab'?

'Just flick it out'?

'There is no such thing as a jab while pivoting, and that it makes it a different punch'?

Before answering you should try thinking whether you really even know what you're talking about and whether you have learned it at all or whether you're just guessing.

First off, you can absolutely pivot with your jab. Yes, it should come after all your basic training but it is still a very legitimate technique. Second, there is more to a jab than just jabbing as a set up to other punches or 'blinding' your opponent. If you have only ever learned one way to jab then don't bother responding because you don't actually know whether you can or not.

Gerard, you get countered over the jab if you're slow with it or if you're lazy and dropping it. If you're stepping in with your jab and your chin is tucked down and behind your shoulder and you bring it back properly, you're not getting countered. If someone sees you with a lazy jab then it can be easy to set them up straight into a counter, especially if they step forward with it. That's if it is lazy though. If you don't have a lazy jab then you're not getting countered over it.

Nonetheless, even if you don't step in with it, you can still be easily countered if it's lazy. One of the best right hands over a lazy jab that I've seen is actually from Roberto Duran. He had fantastic countering skills and one of his best shots was that right over the jab. For a great example of it watch the first round of his fight with Iran Barkley. At the end of the round Barkley shoots out a jab which Duran had seen him dropping and after taking a half step back, to bring Barkley in, he shoots out the jab, drops it and Duran comes straight over the top with a perfect right hand counter.

If you reach with the jab it's just as bad though. If you are just out of range you need to get in by stepping in with the jab. There is no other way to get unless you just want to wade in with nothing. You need to jab to get in, you should never move in without punching therefore you need to step with the jab. Conversely, if you shoot a jab and you're reaching because you're not in range then you are just as likely to be countered as if you have a lazy jab.

The jab with the pivot can also be used against someone who is low down, crouching or shorter than you. It can be good to mix it up by shooting it over their shoulder. Of course it's not something you are going to use all the time but it is another good tool for the arsenal.

If you have a good jab with many variations than you can baffle and confuse opponents with just that. If you have one jab that you just use to find the range, or just flick out to distract, blind or set up your other shots then you will be very easy to time and be adapted to. Also, for those saying that a jab is not a power shot and shouldn't be used as such, well, in one sense you're right. It is not a power punch and will always be less than a straight right but if you can throw it with power then you have more at your disposal. Foreman had an incredibly powerful jab that could easily stun or knock people over and it was very useful. If you mix it up and throw in quick, short blinding jabs along with sharp powerful jabs then you can throw off your opponent and hurt them at the same time.

If you time a jab perfectly and it has speed and is sharp and strong then you can easily do damage or even knock them down. If you are finding that someone can be hit by the jab easily but you are not having as much luck with other shots then add power to it. You will be hurting them, make them more reluctant to throw and then you can start landing you other shots.

More you have, the better you are.
            Last edited by BennyST; 06-05-2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

just becuase you step with the jab doesnt make it more likely that you wil be countered. infact you are altering the distance so IMO you may be LESS likely to be countered.

flikcing jabs have there place but if you only ev er flick them out your opponent will start to ignore them. if you throw soem with power he will fear them all!

Comment

Originally posted by JayWater39 View Post
                pivot on a jab?? thats wrong.. jab is not a power punch .. u get som strentgh in your jab by pushing off your back foot..
                well it depends on how slick u are, if u can pivot and jab get out of the way of the right hand thats certain to come(left if ur fighting a southpaw), ide personally say its wrong, just because i wouldnt take the risk of the over hand counter shot, jab straight jab hard jab fast

Comment

Originally posted by SkilledBoxer View Post
                  well it depends on how slick u are, if u can pivot and jab get out of the way of the right hand thats certain to come(left if ur fighting a southpaw), ide personally say its wrong, just because i wouldnt take the risk of the over hand counter shot, jab straight jab hard jab fast
                  here is no more risk!!!
                  your notreally any more open. an opponent who fears your jab will spend more time trying not to get hit by it and less countering!

if someone was just flicking a jab at me i wouldn't care about it hitting me at all

Comment

Don't pivot, just always step in with the jab.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      It seems as though there are a lot of answers from people that really aren't even sure what they're talking about.

'Don't step with a jab'?

'Don't pivot'?

'Don't use power with your jab'?

'Just flick it out'?

'There is no such thing as a jab while pivoting, and that it makes it a different punch'?

Before answering you should try thinking whether you really even know what you're talking about and whether you have learned it at all or whether you're just guessing.

First off, you can absolutely pivot with your jab. Yes, it should come after all your basic training but it is still a very legitimate technique. Second, there is more to a jab than just jabbing as a set up to other punches or 'blinding' your opponent. If you have only ever learned one way to jab then don't bother responding because you don't actually know whether you can or not.

Gerard, you get countered over the jab if you're slow with it or if you're lazy and dropping it. If you're stepping in with your jab and your chin is tucked down and behind your shoulder and you bring it back properly, you're not getting countered. If someone sees you with a lazy jab then it can be easy to set them up straight into a counter, especially if they step forward with it. That's if it is lazy though. If you don't have a lazy jab then you're not getting countered over it.

Nonetheless, even if you don't step in with it, you can still be easily countered if it's lazy. One of the best right hands over a lazy jab that I've seen is actually from Roberto Duran. He had fantastic countering skills and one of his best shots was that right over the jab. For a great example of it watch the first round of his fight with Iran Barkley. At the end of the round Barkley shoots out a jab which Duran had seen him dropping and after taking a half step back, to bring Barkley in, he shoots out the jab, drops it and Duran comes straight over the top with a perfect right hand counter.

If you reach with the jab it's just as bad though. If you are just out of range you need to get in by stepping in with the jab. There is no other way to get unless you just want to wade in with nothing. You need to jab to get in, you should never move in without punching therefore you need to step with the jab. Conversely, if you shoot a jab and you're reaching because you're not in range then you are just as likely to be countered as if you have a lazy jab.

The jab with the pivot can also be used against someone who is low down, crouching or shorter than you. It can be good to mix it up by shooting it over their shoulder. Of course it's not something you are going to use all the time but it is another good tool for the arsenal.

If you have a good jab with many variations than you can baffle and confuse opponents with just that. If you have one jab that you just use to find the range, or just flick out to distract, blind or set up your other shots then you will be very easy to time and be adapted to. Also, for those saying that a jab is not a power shot and shouldn't be used as such, well, in one sense you're right. It is not a power punch and will always be less than a straight right but if you can throw it with power then you have more at your disposal. Foreman had an incredibly powerful jab that could easily stun or knock people over and it was very useful. If you mix it up and throw in quick, short blinding jabs along with sharp powerful jabs then you can throw off your opponent and hurt them at the same time.

If you time a jab perfectly and it has speed and is sharp and strong then you can easily do damage or even knock them down. If you are finding that someone can be hit by the jab easily but you are not having as much luck with other shots then add power to it. You will be hurting them, make them more reluctant to throw and then you can start landing you other shots.

More you have, the better you are.

Very good post.

I think what peope don't realize is that some fighters can get away with doing things that are fundamental mistakes in boxing and then the casual boxer/fan thinks they can emulate it or get away with it.

Boxing is an art, if done properly you don't have to be the fastest, strongest or quickest and still be very succesful.

Comment

Working...
                      X