Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparring Video

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bit stiff, your chin is up in the air........but nice, we all just need practice......

Comment

It looks like your an amateur and you just got to keep training. I would say work with a fighter in an orthodox stance, learn as much as you can and train and then later work with a southpaw fighter because it takes a little more experience. But for right now id say to keep jabbing and double and triple on your jab. Mix it up jab up top move in on a jab to the body he will bring his hand down and boom throw another jab up top. Dont only throw one jab at a time. Use feints to the body and then up top and then encorporate some footwork so you can find some angles. But man just keep it up im doing the samething and its always good that you gotta a sparring partner whos more experienced than you. You will get better just keep doing the damn thang lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mongrel_boy View Post
        Hey everyone,

Here is a video of only my second time sparring, with one of the professionals in my gym. He's just schooling me; my main aim for the session was to land the jab.

Constructive criticisms appreciated, and enjoy
        Give it a few months you'll be whoopin his ass as long as you have a good trainer.

Comment

Thanks again everyone,

ATM I'm 17, and because of high school only get to train around 2-3 times a week. I haven't had any amateur bouts or anything yet again because of school, but after I graduate this year I'll be training full-time.

I've grown up around boxing, my dad has taught me to throw punches since I was young, and alongside martial arts I've been hitting the heavy and double-end bag since I was 8. Unfortunately when I was 13 I had a neck injury playing Rugby League which meant I had to take a long hiatus from contact sports and training. However at this point in time my love and passion for the sport is at it's greatest and I see it as a future career for me.

Thanks again for support, encouragements and constructive criticisms. I have been disheartened the last couple of days due to lack of progress in a shoulder injury which is inhibiting my jab, but the kind words said here are helpful.

Mongrel

Comment

paused at 2:45 and am going to continue watching it but I just want to give my first impression and advice

first off, kudos for posting the video.

second, you have the right idea working with a guy on a much tigher tier than you, using your jab around...should've moved laterally a little more for my taste and thrown more right feints then stepped in with solid jabs, very effective stuff for what you're trying to do..... the first guy I ever sparred in a boxing ring was actually an olympian named keenan hickman who was 30-7 at the time (he lost in colorado at the boxoffs) but I schooled him with the jab, and he was trying to kill me with hooks. Didn't get hit once in the face by the guy, but I had five-six inches on him, and mad reach.

I wanted to see you leading with your cross downstairs more, it's effective vs southpaws. That guy looked like he maybe had some power but if you were to jump on him real quick, lead with a cross around the end of a roudn (last 30 sec), I promise you he'll either try to punch you with his lead (right) hand, or drop it due to grimace from the body shot....Follow with a left hook upstairs it works on southpaws like a dream, I made a boy quit comin around who thought he was hot **** with that exact combo, it's just bread and butter for conventionals vs southpaws

(edit - especially vs lefties like him with a high guard position)

now, final word of advice

jump rope, jump rope, and keep jumping rope.....i'd wish you luck, but that's a bull**** comment in a game of skill and wit......peace
            Last edited by Flicker Jab; 05-31-2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Good job! Need more head movement, and like the others said: relax and go to the body some. Keep it up!

Comment

Cheers. Should be Sparring again tomorrow, hopefully with the other amateur at the gym... he's the same age, height, weight as me, and about the same skill level so should be more competitive. If I get a video of it I'll post it up again.

Comment

i noticed ur partners style he's kinda like a counter puncher, next u sparr him try get in close feint an upper or straight then bomb him with a left hook to the head.. works everytime... but be quick because natural rweaction to that is he will back away or roll his head... but if u hit him he look would so stupid lollols!!

Comment

Working...
                  X