No announcement yet.

Doing Triathlons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing Triathlons

im thinking about doing short triathlons like 1 mile swim 12 mile bike 3 mile run type triathlon.. im thinking it will help me with my boxing.. anyone else do this or know of any boxers who do this?

yeah sounds good, anything extra you can do for fitness will help

if you are making up your own triathlon to do, make it explosive and push it to limit, not a leisurely swim run and cycle

make it like a hard 1 mile swim, a hard 6 mile bike, (perferably with hills etc thrown in) and then a hard 3 mile run to finish, and completely burn yourself out, not a speck of energy left

Comment

Im not sure if im correct on this but anaerobic helps in the ring aerobic helps you recover. if you take something like a triathlon its something where your going to be exercising for about 2 hours to hour and half, aerobic perhaps? so is recovery more important then in the ring stamina? would hiit jogging/running for 3 miles be a better choice for in the ring? Is recovery something to be completely left out?

i reccomend hiit through out the week and a triathalon on the weekend with a day of rest before so you can run a fast 3 miles bike a quick 12 and swim 1 or what ever the order is. personally i do a 12 mile bike and a 6 mile run now that summer is around during winter i just ran for 2 hours every weekend.

i think it just needs to be some long exercise at a steady pace since i only do it for the recovery factor. im sure swimming has many benifits but i think its too upper body intensive and as tyson i think said it confuses the boxing muscles also Im not one for swiming well not one for cold water.

I hear its really good for your shoulders i was reading a study that was done on professional swimmers deltoids compared to regular people that exercise and through cat scan or something they were able to estimate the average fiber size and found that swimmers actually had smaller muscle fibers but bigger deltoids muscles over all something about the eccentric contraction when your hand changes from air resistance to water resistance that tears the muscles and possibly creates 2 new muscles from the 2 ripped parts using satellite cells which are just stem cells that the muscle creates kind of. look up muscle hyperplasia if you want to know more. Of course the swimmers could be born with a huge amount of muscle fibers that dont really get any bigger no mater how much they swim.

more fibers firmer spring more power over less distance

Comment

Originally posted by JayWater39 View Post
        im thinking about doing short triathlons like 1 mile swim 12 mile bike 3 mile run type triathlon.. im thinking it will help me with my boxing.. anyone else do this or know of any boxers who do this?
        Yeah I train with someone that competes in the Ironman Triatholons (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26 mile run) and it helps a lot. Going straight into each event with no rest works my stamina like crazy.

Also each event helps specific muscle groups. Swimming = shoulders and back, bike = quads and hamstrings, run = calves. Well that's where I feel it anyway. But yeah it helps.

Comment

I would stick to doing one of them, like swimming or jogging for your aerobic workout but I would really concentrate elsewhere for improving your boxing stamina. In the ring, you work hard for 2-3 minutes. Try doing long sprints instead- especially long swimming sprints. Maybe a 200 meter sprint in the pool and 400-800 yards sprint on a track, football field, or in a neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by austinlarg View Post
            Yeah I train with someone that competes in the Ironman Triatholons (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26 mile run) and it helps a lot. Going straight into each event with no rest works my stamina like crazy.

Also each event helps specific muscle groups. Swimming = shoulders and back, bike = quads and hamstrings, run = calves. Well that's where I feel it anyway. But yeah it helps.
            how far do u swim bike and run??? do u even get tired get tired in fights?

I would stick to doing one of them, like swimming or jogging for your aerobic workout but I would really concentrate elsewhere for improving your boxing stamina. In the ring, you work hard for 2-3 minutes. Try doing long sprints instead- especially long swimming sprints. Maybe a 200 meter sprint in the pool and 400-800 yards sprint on a track, football field, or in a neighborhood.
            right now i run 4-5 days a week in the morning about 3-5 miles and run hard up the hills that are in my run.. this has helped my stamina greatly .. but adding in traithlons once every couple months cant hurt

thanks for the feedback ylem
            Last edited by JoHnNyBoXeR; 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

how far do u swim bike and run??? do u even get tired get tired in fights?
              you could run all those miles but if your not doing enough sparring you will still get tired. There is no replacement and the only way to get into fighting shape is to fight

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin6591 View Post
                you could run all those miles but if your not doing enough sparring you will still get tired. There is no replacement and the only way to get into fighting shape is to fight
                i spar 3 times a week.. the triathlon will just be somthing added in to my training to give me an edge

Comment

i spar 3 times a week.. the triathlon will just be somthing added in to my training to give me an edge
                  yeah i mean any exercise is good but i prefer intense sessions like interval training

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin6591 View Post
                    yeah i mean any exercise is good but i prefer intense sessions like interval training
                    He's saying the same thing I am. You have plenty of aerobic training going on. For fighting, the triathalon is wasting your time unless you use it to replace your 4-5 times doing roadwork. If you want to get an edge, do 800 meter sprints or 2-300 meter swiMming springs. Or wrestle for 3 minutes at a time. Take 60 second breaks and go all out for 2-3 minutes. That way your body is mimmicking what happens when you fight. Don't waste time with the triathalon unless it's a personal goal. Too much aerobic training eats away at your muscles and strength. Swimming doesn't create a fighters body but swim sprinting does.

Comment

Working...
                    X