No announcement yet.

Back to the drawing board...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the drawing board...

Ok, so iw as all set to start training about 30 minutes from me at a Renzo Gracie school, under a Renzo purple belt. Then my gall attcks got bad and i had to have surgery, comletely out of the blue and unexpectantly. This gave me time to think it through and for someone like myself, looking not only to learn an art, but to gain personal fitness, weight loss, etc. as well, it just didn't seem like its what i really was looking for.

I've found a new place and spent 3 hours observing there last night. The commute would be cut in half, only about 15 minutes from home, the classes are small, the facilities are HUGE with 155 pound heavy bags, lots of mat area, weight training area, etc.

So what do they train in there you ask? well i'd be taking up Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do, Integrated Grappling systems as he calls it (which combines BJJ, Sambo, and wrestling) Kali and Kun Tao. Its well rounded, seems to be more of a work out in terms of cardio imo.

He knows about nutritional stuff and says he would definately help me out with learning how to better my diet and help to get me down to the weight i want to be at. For the same price as the gracie place i have all of this and full use of the facility, with classes held 5 days per week, as many as i want to attend. (gracies was 3 days max/week)

What do you think of these arts? they are said to blend well together and its really a wide range of training as you get a bit of everything. I felt comfortable there, the owner/head instructor seems very knowledgable, as well as the assistants.

i'm sorry to hear that happened to you with your gall attacks. i'm guessing everything is alot better? getting back at training?

about the school, sounds like a great deeal imo. a renzo gracie school is great and all, but might not be good for what you are looking for. I totally know what you're going through in terms of making a decision, but all of the options are there. One of my buddies had the same situation, and it makes more sense to do whats more convenient for you as long as you can learn the same techniques as you would at renzo's, if not more....... then you're set. weigh the pros n cons.

- closer to home
    - bigger facility
    - smaller classes(perfect coz with smaller classes means more focus on you from the instructor)
    - more variety of disciplines
    - comfort level

you're set. those are some fine martial arts to learn, have'nt personally heard of many of them such as jun fan gung fu and kun tao, but you say its a mixture, and i'm guessing a little more. I say do it.

Comment

yeah i actually have my docs appt. thursday to get "cleared" to train.

I guess i just needed reassurance...and you've given me the nudge that i need, thanks for replying. i thought ithe thread was gonna stay dormant lol. I'm gonna give em a shot and see what its like.

If you wanna read up on this guy and the styles he teaches specifically, his site (a terribly organized one at that) is www.psdtc.com

thanks again!

Comment

Damn bro. Sorry to hear that. Looking back at the dates of the posts in this thread, looks like today was the day you went to the doctors? How'd everything go? Whats the word?

I'm leaning torward what Ehrpees said. Weigh your options dude, best bet looks like training with this guy. I checked that site out, looks like some good ****. I also have never heard of some of those arts, but seems like its a mixture of the normal. Glad to see your checkin things out. Have you trained before or is this the first time?

Comment

the doc has cleared me, 100% recovered

I'm definately going to train with this guy, starting the week after next. I get a good vibe there and it feels right. I have trained before in Judo and aikido for 3 years, crosstrained. i had some karate when i was like 10 years old but i dont count that lol

Comment

Thats ****ing awesome! Glad to hear the doc cleared ya! Let us know how the training goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GeNeRaL
              the doc has cleared me, 100% recovered

I'm definately going to train with this guy, starting the week after next. I get a good vibe there and it feels right. I have trained before in Judo and aikido for 3 years, crosstrained. i had some karate when i was like 10 years old but i dont count that lol
              Posted May 6th; that's the day I graduated from bootcamp. Hey, are you still training? How's it going?

Comment

Going well, still training there, love it. 3-4 nights a week for 3 hours each is my current schedule there. I'd like to make it 4-6 days but i just dont have that much spare time, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by GeNeRaL
                  Going well, still training there, love it. 3-4 nights a week for 3 hours each is my current schedule there. I'd like to make it 4-6 days but i just dont have that much spare time, unfortunately.
                  ****, that's a lot of time training as far as I'm concerned! Glad you're able and still doing it.

Comment

I had some Jeet Kune Doe training for about a year, I liked it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X