Punching Mitt Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punching Mitt Question

Hey Everyone,

Ive been reading the site for a a month now. I have a 100lb bag in my garage and have just been practicing with that.

I go 6 2minute rounds with the bag, and inbetween ill go 6 1minute rounds with the jump rope.

I'm not planing on sparring or getting in the ring, but I'm using boxing as exercise and what not.

I have some mits and have a nice little workout with my friend set up, but my question is when we are using the mits, do we meet the other half way through the punch or just hold our hand and let the other punch?

Thanks and I'll post a video of me with the bag so you guys can kick my ass

Do not just hold your hands and let the person punch. You would be better off first getting to know combinations, working on stance and form, and definitely NOT just holding your hands up. As I always say, meet him about like 1/4 of the way, you want to get the snap out of his.your punches, and just holding your hands up is not the way to do that.

If you watch any video of fighters with their coaches, you will see what I mean. The coaches move their hands accordingly towards the punches in order to get the desired snap and impact out of it.

Comment

Alright thats what I thought. Appreciate it man.

Right now were doing simple 1,2,3 combos.

1 being a left jab, 2 being a right punch and 3 being a left hook.

Comment

dj there's video up on the video tradin block section on how to work the mitts by Chris Getz, find it, that should give you a good idea. Just give the uploader some good K

Comment

Will definitely check that out. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X