No announcement yet.

Some Advice Please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Advice Please

Hey everyone. Ive been a member here for awhile and i mostly just lurk and try to learn as much as I can. However I'm looking for some advice about this situation that im in. I started boxing back in Dec after replying to a guys ad i found on the internet. Things were going good and I was coming along like any newb would. After about a month or so of training regularly, I found out that he wasnt in fact "legal" meaning that the city had been trying shut him down. I never saw any other kids training with him or anything like that. I eventually stopped training with the guy. Fast forward til now. Theres only one gym here where i live and I cant train there because of my work schedule. I ended up running into my former trainer and he wants me to come back and train he even went so far as to tell me that i dont have to pay him. I really miss training and would like to get back to boxing, but dont know if its worth training with someone who isnt a registered coach. Id like to see what some of you seasoned vets think about this. Thanks in advance

i could care less if he is "officially" sanctioned trainer, as long as he knows what he is doing I would go for it. When I commenced boxing, my trainer was a former golden glove champ, he wasn't licensed, but I have him to thank for making me into a technically sound boxer, and for introducing me to the sport I love.

Comment

I would find out first why isn't he "legal", not sure if you mean as in immigrant. If that's the case learn as much as possible from him and take it from there.

Comment

Yeah, find out why he isn't legal first (or if you already know explain it to us better). It could be just because he can't afford to pay the registration fees, and you should have no worries training with him.

Or he could be a kid diddler who isn't allowed with 50 feet of someone under 18 haha.

Comment

It is not difficult to become registered and/or licensed as a boxing coach.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm not exactly sure why he isnt sanctioned. It could be the facilities or possibly the whole registration thing. I do remember him saying hes trying to put together a business proposal to open up his own gym and whatnot. I do appreciate the input everyone.

Comment

its still better to train in gym with other guys then u get to sparr with them its feels good when u outclassing someone who is started same level as u before... hjaha

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
                its still better to train in gym with other guys then u get to sparr with them its feels good when u outclassing someone who is started same level as u before... hjaha
                Agreed...however thats pretty much a non option at this point because of work.

Comment

well, indeed is a tricky situation but for me, would not matter if he was legal or not but if he's good one....but that's me..

Comment

Originally posted by Jutt View Post
                    Agreed...however thats pretty much a non option at this point because of work.
                    yeah mine too i got only 1year left in college and im messin it up since going back in boxing, im thinking of stopping again because when i was in H.S. i almost never graduated because of this. I can't study at all when im into it im really into it all i think is boxing and when i get home all i watch is boxing all i read is boxing. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X