Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you increase the spring in your legs.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hold a challenging posture. believe me i have found it to work.

like, you hold your boxing stance, but shift more weight to back leg, and hold for 5 minutes. good luck

also raise the heel too if you want more challenge.

trainingtrainer has good info. but there is much much more to to.

if anyone PMs me, i can send sources

Comment

Plyometrics will put more spring on your legs. One type of plyometric excercise for legs that I saw, was you stand on one leg and you hop forward, once you land on that one leg you quickly hop again as if you're trying to jump sideways. Do this for about 3 sets 12-15 reps each leg.

Lets review, jump forward, then jump forward but trying to go sideways, this all being done with one leg. I like this particular plyometric leg workout because it sorta simulates when you're about to throw a hook or uppercut. I mean, when we load up to throw a hook or uppercut, we pretty much put most of our weight one side, that's why this whole jumping on one leg works.

Comment

Originally posted by May 02, 2009 View Post
        Plyometrics will put more spring on your legs. One type of plyometric excercise for legs that I saw, was you stand on one leg and you hop forward, once you land on that one leg you quickly hop again as if you're trying to jump sideways. Do this for about 3 sets 12-15 reps each leg.

Lets review, jump forward, then jump forward but trying to go sideways, this all being done with one leg. I like this particular plyometric leg workout because it sorta simulates when you're about to throw a hook or uppercut. I mean, when we load up to throw a hook or uppercut, we pretty much put most of our weight one side, that's why this whole jumping on one leg works.
        Great post, I like the sound of what your talkin about so I'm gonna have a look for some of these excercises.
        I want to do upper body plyometrics but recently had a shoulder injury which has left it a bit weak so i dont think it would cope with plyometric training lol.

Comment

go on the link i posted earlier in this thread if you want plyometric excercises, trust me

Comment

in addition to the obvious sprinting (usually incorporated through interval training in boxers) and jump-roping, id recommend any movement that activates the stretch-shortening cycle and utilizes elastic energy that is stored in the tendons- that is, I would recommend it to the trained athlete that has been appropraitely progressed...

these exercises include:

plyos like jump squats, box jumps, depth jumps, multiple hops, single leg hops, lateral hops

kettlebell exercises like swings, snatches, cleans, high pulls, high rows, jump swings, walking swings, lateral swings, etc

power cleans, power hangs, push jerks, clean and jerks, snatches

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
              hold a challenging posture. believe me i have found it to work.

like, you hold your boxing stance, but shift more weight to back leg, and hold for 5 minutes. good luck

also raise the heel too if you want more challenge.

trainingtrainer has good info. but there is much much more to to.

if anyone PMs me, i can send sources
              this is not particularly good for boxing. there are much better exercises to do. what you are suggesting is more of a hypertrophy-inducing exercise (size gaining). strain over time = hypertrophy. besides, boxing deals very little with isometric contractions...

Comment

[size="4"]in my bball days i used to do stairs in a stadium. Couple of laps a day. I am 6'3" and i was touching the top line in the square of the backboard good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_123 View Post
                  Great post, I like the sound of what your talkin about so I'm gonna have a look for some of these excercises.
                  I want to do upper body plyometrics but recently had a shoulder injury which has left it a bit weak so i dont think it would cope with plyometric training lol.
                  I've been doing this particular plyo leg workout too. But, peeps in my gym are looking at me all weird(like, what's this dude doin' hoppin' around on one leg) and I get self conscious. Anyway, I think it's a great workout 'cause it also works on your balance.

And yeah, be careful with that injury of yours, shoulders are fragile and often the most overused muscle by boxers. Do you do any rehab excercises for it. Totally avoid upperbody plyos and don't do any lifting overhead excercises.
                  Last edited by We want Floyd; 03-25-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
                    this is not particularly good for boxing. there are much better exercises to do. what you are suggesting is more of a hypertrophy-inducing exercise (size gaining). strain over time = hypertrophy. besides, boxing deals very little with isometric contractions...
                    i imagine i know what i am talking about since my teacher/coach was trained from a doctor, as well as in boxing.

maybe i didnt describe it well as i mentioned two different exercises that resemble each other in looks.

either way, i am at the point i dont care about opinions. i just see my 60 year old teacher who can beat up on 20 year olds and know he doesnt do anything that gives him any health concerns.

everyone is a master trainer these days i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post

everyone is a master trainer these days i guess.
                      a master, no, but i am a cscs (certified strength and conditioning specalist) certified by the nsca (national strength and conditioning association). you need at least a bachelor's degree to even acquire this particular certification, and it is the most prominent certification of trainers of professional athletes. i wouldn't say i am a master though by any means. i certainly don't know it all, and in fact, i learn new things about physiology and kinesiology every day, but in this case, facts are facts.

your suggested exercise is ok for basic strength and conditioning, but does not address acquiring a "spring in your legs" aka activation of the stretch-shortening cycle in any way, plain and simple. No offense intended here, but these are the facts, not opinions. to develop "spring in your legs" (as the threadstarter requested), you need to employ the stretch shortening cycle, using plyos and/or power lifting. simply said, power = strength over time, yet the exercise you described employs an isometric hold, in which, not only are you not moving quickly, but you aren't even moving at all! Again, ok for basic strength, but won't help you with quick movements.

anyway, here is a cool article, published by the NSCA that is very informative and might help shed some light on the issue for you. http://www.nsca-lift.org/perform/articles/060502.pdf The first paragraph addresses the misconception you, and many others have about acquiring power using techniques that only address strength. It also includes very useful information about the SSC, particular plyo exercises and how they can be used in exercise program design. enjoy and happy training!
                      Last edited by mspiegelo; 03-26-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X