Collapse
No announcement yet.

headaches after sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After I get home from boxing sometimes I get a headache, it's not from sparring though since I don't spar much.

Comment

Do any of you get headaches from other physical work or headaches at your workplace? Maybe it also has something to do with your blood sugar levels!!! Seein a doctor would be the best bet.

Comment

The best advice you got was go see your doctor.It may be expensive to get properly checked out(catscan etc) but whats the alternative.this is your health were talking about!I hope it all works out for you.

Comment

man, this is an old thread, i was surprised to see it resurrected.

Just an update to help others who have any problems like mine:

1) Yes it was a minor concussion, i got hit again a few days later which made it worse...loss of balance etc...so if your doctor tells you to take a few days off, IT IS NOT ENOUGH! Take at least a couple of weeks off, and maybe even a few months if you can stand being away from the gym for that long.

2) I still get headaches after getting hit by heavyweights...but I found that I sweat a lot, which could be it. Drinking lots of water during training helped, but ever since I started taking lots of sports drinks like Gatorade I have been getting headaches less and less

3) I've also heard that headaches are because your head is not used to getting punched, and that a lot of beginners get it. So maybe the fact that I don't get headaches as much anymore is that I simply am getting used to it!

Comment

minor concussion: headache or dizzyness up to 15mins after the punch.
            major concussion: headache or dizzyness for more then 15mins after punch in head

a minor concussion takes a day to heal properly. a major concussion takes 7 days. so if u get headache for more then 15mins, dont spar for a week

Comment

I actually searched for this thread because my problem is I think more severe.
              I am a short fighter, only 5'6, so I accustomed to rabbit punches. Usually they bother me a little, mainly because of the fact that they are illegal infractions, but this time is different. I was sparring this kid Tony on Wednesday, and pretty much was in control of the less experienced 14 year old for most of the first 2 rounds. When we got on the inside, he hit me with a right hand to the side of the head, and then he hit me with a blunt right hand to the bottom of the back of my head, right above my neck. Usually I get angry and tell my trainer "Yo, what the ****", but I just kind of whispered to him "Rabbit Punch".
              At first I was a little worried about the subtle headache I experienced when I got home, but was even more worried when I woke up the next morning and all the rest of the day still had a headache and was mildly dizzy.
              It's now Friday and I still don't feel right, but I think it may also be that the sparring session coincided with the first day of using Hydroxy-Cut. In your honest opinions, should I be worried?

Comment

I had dizzyness and a feeling of pressure from the inside out...that my head was a balloon that was slightly overblown...

It went away after a couple days, but that was a concussion. I took a few months off, actually thinking I should quit, but after a few months, I got back into sparring since I couldn't stay away, and everything was fine.

So I don't know how much time is needed. I have no idea what Hydroxy Cut does to you, but if it's a weight loss thing it could affect the amount of fluid you have around your brain.

I'm no expert, but what I would do given my experience is to rest for a few days, no sparring, no running (which does thump your brain like a minor punch), not even bag work. After a few days, if you're symptoms are gone, shake your head real vigorously and see what happens. If that's fine, ease your way back with light sparring.

It's better to be overcautious with this kind of thing. Your brain is vital, and you only have one. Don't listen to some tough-guy dickheads who tell you you're a ***** for getting worried about stuff like this, **** em. I don't think they've ever sparred before. All the real pros and trainers I talk to are very serious about this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by asian_sensation
                  I am a short fighter, only 5'6, so I accustomed to rabbit punches. Usually they bother me a little, mainly because of the fact that they are illegal infractions, but this time is different. I was sparring this kid Tony on Wednesday, and pretty much was in control of the less experienced 14 year old for most of the first 2 rounds. When we got on the inside, he hit me with a right hand to the side of the head, and then he hit me with a blunt right hand to the bottom of the back of my head, right above my neck. Usually I get angry and tell my trainer "Yo, what the ****", but I just kind of whispered to him "Rabbit Punch".
                  At first I was a little worried about the subtle headache I experienced when I got home, but was even more worried when I woke up the next morning and all the rest of the day still had a headache and was mildly dizzy.
                  It's now Friday and I still don't feel right, but I think it may also be that the sparring session coincided with the first day of using Hydroxy-Cut. In your honest opinions, should I be worried?
                  I would check that up dude, could be dangerous ****. I'm a shortie too so i know how it is.

Comment

im not tryin to discourage anyone but

i just gotta step up and say im so ****in happy ive never had a headache from boxing

and ive been hit flush by a somewhat respectable heavyweight's power hand hook right on the chin

never dazed.never down.shoulda been born in sonora yo.

Comment

Originally posted by asian_sensation
                      Hey man, I have exactly the same problem, even 5'6 and asian too. My brother had the same problem but his only last about 2 days, im on my 4th day now. What happened to yours?

Comment

Working...
                      X