long/lead left hooks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long/lead left hooks

hey!
    i noticed that when i spar, i almost exclusively throw straight punches. i know this might be a good thing but i would really like to throw hooks aswell.
    i'm normally fighting long range so that's why i mostly throw straights.
    my opponents can somehow catch me with left hooks though.
    so basically i was wondering how to set up long ranged left hooks.
    currently the only successful combo i throw with a left hook is 1-3-2, where the hook is quite powerless and just sets up the right hand.
    i've also tried 1-2-3 a coupel of times before but then the left hook just never reaches.

also some people manage to throw lead left hooks.
    first of all i wouldn't know how to exactly move my feet to land it. (should i leap or something?)
    and secondly i also don't know how you can put any power behind it when you throw it from a normal boxing stance without being squared.

i hope you guys can help me.
    any combos that contain the left hook or advice on footwork/throwing the punch is welcome!
    also maybe name some fighters that had good long left hooks who i can watch...
    thanks!

Personal favorite is 2-3-2-1-1 being really aggressive with the double jab.

Another favorite is, since I jab a lot, including lots of double jabs, is 1-3. I feign the second jab and go in for a hook.

Comment

Try setting up a hook with a 1-2 first or even a jab and a feint, then hook. Lead left hooks are hard and save them for when you are closer. You will learn how to get hooks in eventually. I was similar to you many years ago when I use to fight almost exclusively on the back foot. Nowadays, I mix it up a bit on the inside and I am good with hooks and uppercuts now, even though my favourite punches are still my lightning fast piston jab and KO right hand! It is important to become good at hooks and gighting inside. Long hooks and lead hooks from far are very hard ot master unless you have the reflexes of a prime RJJ. I only do them when I am showboating against someone I have beaten up. Otherwise I always use a jab or 1-2 to set up hook.

Comment

thanks for the advice!
        JCC, my short hooks aren't that good either but i rarely fight close range at this stage, so that will eventually come i guess.
        but have you maybe got some advice on how to practice left hooks general, solo? heavybag seems a bit awkward sometimes because I can't get my elbow high and land my left hook the way it should, due to the shape of a normal heavybag...

can anyone also maybe name a fighter that i could watch who throws good left hooks? a taller fighter btw, so not a short one like Joe Frazier / Mike Tyson
        thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by made in bed View Post
          thanks for the advice!
          JCC, my short hooks aren't that good either but i rarely fight close range at this stage, so that will eventually come i guess.
          but have you maybe got some advice on how to practice left hooks general, solo? heavybag seems a bit awkward sometimes because I can't get my elbow high and land my left hook the way it should, due to the shape of a normal heavybag...

can anyone also maybe name a fighter that i could watch who throws good left hooks? a taller fighter btw, so not a short one like Joe Frazier / Mike Tyson
          thanks!
          I'd say De la Hoya and Trinidad. They both have great left hooks and you can see them lead with it quite a bit.

As far as throwing the left hook goes my advice might not the best best cause i am a southpaw. But leaping and throwing a hook is always taking a risk, because if you get caught comming in it will hurt even more.

Personally i always try to finish my combinations with my right hook. It's one of my best punches and i can land it even from the outside.

Like you said, i also like to use the 1-3 a lot. And the obvious 1-2-3. I won't try to lead with my hook unless i see an opening. A good way to land it for me agaisnt a orthodox fighter is stepping to my right(his left) to give me an angle and throw it.

Hope it helped.

Edit:

Here are some videos by some pro trainers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m8H9YEz888

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63nDNWJAPc0 ( at about 2:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvEjYFa-geQ (Heavybag vid)
          Last edited by Equilibrium; 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by made in bed View Post
            thanks for the advice!

thanks!
            Follow Equilibrium's advice above. There are so many ways o hok and disagreements about it that I don't want to get into! Even my trainers disagee. I prefer the short 45° one because it is short and quick and cannot be rolled. I do use the 90° hook over top too for finishing, as it has more venom and power in it! I use both types of hook. You need ot learn how to be versatile man. Even if you do not learn both hooks, then learn how to fight inside and outside as well as going backwards or forwards.
            Last edited by JulioCesaChavez; 12-06-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Mayweather has good lead left hooks, along with counter left hooks. There are a few ways to throw these punches.

For starters, you can feint a jab, and turn it over into a hook.

You can also feint a lead right, but instead of pulling back after the feint, follow through with the feint as if you were throwing a hook to the body, however, come upstairs with it.

You can throw a jab, and hook off it.

Another good punch to throw, is a lead right to the stomache(Works exceptional against southpaws), and come back with a left hook, or double left hook.

However, throwing lead lefts leaves you WIDE open to a straight right. There are situations when to throw the lead left, and knowing when that is will come with experience.

Comment

Working...
              X