Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the deal with boxing in college

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go to the University of Massachusetts Amherst, we have a boxing club. We don't have an actual gym, but this year we started having the workouts be a lot more strict: we set up stations for people, unfortunately most people tend to try and **** off and only want to hit mitts.

I'm one of the trainers with the club (not licensed or anything, but I have more knowledge than most kids) and I usually work with kids, work mitts, help them with technique, etc.

We're looking into doing sparring with another club about 30 minutes up the street, Westfield State, they have a program similar to ours. Hopefully by April or May, we'll have set up some competitive fights with them or the South Boston Boxing Club, depending on how progressed some of the kids are.

www.umass.edu/rso/boxing - That's the website, check it out, there isn't too much up there right now but it gives you a basic jist of what the club's like. There is an MMA gym really close to the school, like, I think maybe 10 minutes away? But I'm not into fighting MMA, though a few kids who train with the boxing club do go there.

Comment

My college does not have a boxing club but there is a gym about 10 minutes away that I go to. Collegiate boxing is a bit of a waste because they have rules that prevent you from competing in USA Boxing competitions. I think you can only have 5 USAB fights or less if you want to compete colligiately. You're better off sticking with a USAB club.

Comment

Working...
      X