No announcement yet.

Help a fat guy choose a weight class!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a fat guy choose a weight class!

To make a long story short: I'm 5'10". In the last 18 months I've lost 33 pounds, gone from 245 to 212. I've also been boxing once a week with a boxing coach at my MMA gym for the last 4 months. I REALLY like the boxing (even more than the BJJ training I do twice a week) and am thinking about going to a boxing-specific gym here in Houston 3x a week, and get into some amateur fights next year.

Only problem -- I'm still fat (though relatively in shape, and not as fat as I was.. I'm around 20% bodyfat). I've started running in the morning (along with my evening workouts) and I think I can get down to 200-205 (~15% bodyfat) within eight weeks of the morning running / night workout schedule. I also lift weights (for strength, not hypertrophy).

Would it be absolutely ridiculous to do some amateur bouts at the 200 weight class? I realize I'd usually be at a height disadvantage in that class (average height 6' - 6'4"?). I LIKE being big (don't want to be skinny), I LIKE fighting inside, and I don't mind giving up a bit of height... I really just don't think I can lose any more weight (at 170 I think I'd be 0% body fat, so I'd have to lose muscle to get there), and I want to fight anyway. I'm willing to do hard work, just not willing to get skinny. Also note Im not planning on going pro or olympic someday ;-)... just want to do 5 or 10 amateur fights and be competitive.

Is it worth giving it a go at 200?

Originally posted by chowyunfatnd View Post
    To make a long story short: I'm 5'10". In the last 18 months I've lost 33 pounds, gone from 245 to 212. I've also been boxing once a week with a boxing coach at my MMA gym for the last 4 months. I REALLY like the boxing (even more than the BJJ training I do twice a week) and am thinking about going to a boxing-specific gym here in Houston 3x a week, and get into some amateur fights next year.

Only problem -- I'm still fat (though relatively in shape, and not as fat as I was.. I'm around 20% bodyfat). I've started running in the morning (along with my evening workouts) and I think I can get down to 200-205 (~15% bodyfat) within eight weeks of the morning running / night workout schedule. I also lift weights (for strength, not hypertrophy).

Would it be absolutely ridiculous to do some amateur bouts at the 200 weight class? I realize I'd usually be at a height disadvantage in that class (average height 6' - 6'4"?). I LIKE being big (don't want to be skinny), I LIKE fighting inside, and I don't mind giving up a bit of height... I really just don't think I can lose any more weight (at 170 I think I'd be 0% body fat, so I'd have to lose muscle to get there), and I want to fight anyway. I'm willing to do hard work, just not willing to get skinny. Also note Im not planning on going pro or olympic someday ;-)... just want to do 5 or 10 amateur fights and be competitive.

Believe me if u are 5 10 u wont be 0 procent bodyfat at 170 unless if you have been a prof bodybuilder for the last 5 years.

Comment

I have had my bodyfat measured... it's at 20%.

Comment

I have had my bodyfat measured... it's at 20%.
        It sounds like you are just naturally a big guy (muscles included), and that you've done well losing weight so far. But the thing that stands out in your post is your boxing experience.

At this stage, try and loose a bit more weight as you've been doing, but focus more on training and learning the skills you'll need to fight. That could take a lot longer than loosing weight. Join the gym, tell the trainer what your plans are and sort it out with him.

Comment

Hey man, looks to me you seem pretty determined, it's irrevelant what any of us say b/c you have mind set on competing. I say go for it! I'm around 20% bodyfat too, I've started to do more cardio, however, since exams are coming, it's gonna be put on the shelf Continue with the cardio and you'll get fitter :P

Comment

yeah it would be pretty ridiculous to be a 5''10 guy fighting at super heavyweight...unless you are a superbly skilled inside fighter i would get down to 178 at least...you sound like you have a solid build but yeah you sound like youre a bit chubby right now with 20 % body fat so id go down to 178

Comment

Run fatboy run! 6 miles a day and you'll find your ideal weight to fight at don't you worry about it. Fat monitor scales give a good indication as to how well you are and where your ideal fighting weight should be. My trainers says below 20% is good.

Comment

Working...
              X