Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it too late to start boxing seriously?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is it too late to start boxing seriously?

by taking boxing seriously i mean training with a view to entering competitions and taking it as far as i possibly can.

I recently turned 18 and when i move away to university i am planning to join a boxing gym that i have found near my university.

i have been trining for boxing for a few months now at my gym but it is not a boxing specific gym so i can only really train my body and use things such as a speed ball and the heavy bag i have at home, i do not currently have a trainer or any good sparring partners but this will change soon.

i do have a martial arts history i have been doing karate since i was 6 and entering under 16s competitions since i was 8 so i think this would give me a solid base to work from i.e i have good natural reflexes and handspeed and my punching teqnique is good as i have been doing it since i was 6 lol.

bearing my background in mind and the fact i would absolutely devote myself to this as i have fallen in love with the sport,could any of the more experienced posters tell me whether i have started too late to realistically have a decent future in the sport.

Thanks

Originally posted by Voodoo_Child View Post
    by taking boxing seriously i mean training with a view to entering competitions and taking it as far as i possibly can.

I recently turned 18 and when i move away to university i am planning to join a boxing gym that i have found near my university.

i have been trining for boxing for a few months now at my gym but it is not a boxing specific gym so i can only really train my body and use things such as a speed ball and the heavy bag i have at home, i do not currently have a trainer or any good sparring partners but this will change soon.

i do have a martial arts history i have been doing karate since i was 6 and entering under 16s competitions since i was 8 so i think this would give me a solid base to work from i.e i have good natural reflexes and handspeed and my punching teqnique is good as i have been doing it since i was 6 lol.

bearing my background in mind and the fact i would absolutely devote myself to this as i have fallen in love with the sport,could any of the more experienced posters tell me whether i have started too late to realistically have a decent future in the sport.

Thanks
    i also did karate from the age of 6 till 14, then i did a lil bit mma . But when i started boxing my technique suckt, only thing i think doing karate helpt me with was reflexes and mayby footwork. But i don't think 18 is to old, if u want to do boxing just do it cause else in a couple of years u will be sorry.

Comment

thanks, which style did you do? i did Goju Ryu and recently started learning Wing Chun (which is brilliant btwi absolutely love it lol)

Comment

Who ya trying to convince? Karate won't help you at all in boxing. Hand speed can not be taught. Footwork barely you have to move ya feet to punch with power. None of that will help you it would probably give you bad habits meaning it takes more time for you to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by T.I.P. View Post
          Who ya trying to convince? Karate won't help you at all in boxing. Hand speed can not be taught. Footwork barely you have to move ya feet to punch with power. None of that will help you it would probably give you bad habits meaning it takes more time for you to adapt.
          agreed. totally different techniques and styles. boxing is not similar to karate at all. if u had fast hands doing karate, u probly will be fast throwing punches in boxing as well, but technique and training are not at all similar. and 18 is not too old to start. plenty of pros started in their 20s and were successful. train hard, eat smart, train more. good luck

Comment

who started in the 20s and was susccsuefull as a pro tell me when ur 20 it takes time u get into extreame fitness perfect all the boxing skills then go all through amtuear and the time between fights you wont wana box all the time dont say u do motvation will go and when ur through all that if u spend 24/7 and ur right for the sport ud be 26 at minimium then ure looking at going downhill so if u wna be good amtuear go for it pro forgot it

Comment

Nate cambell, tony thompson and a few more started boxing in there late 20s. If you don't know what the **** you're on about, stfu.

Comment

Originally posted by smash ko View Post
                who started in the 20s and was susccsuefull as a pro tell me when ur 20 it takes time u get into extreame fitness perfect all the boxing skills then go all through amtuear and the time between fights you wont wana box all the time dont say u do motvation will go and when ur through all that if u spend 24/7 and ur right for the sport ud be 26 at minimium then ure looking at going downhill so if u wna be good amtuear go for it pro forgot it
                Anthony Mundine, a professional rugby player turned successful Australian pro boxer at 25 (although he had 4 amateur fights when he was 17)

Rocky Marciano started at 23.

Larry Holmes 19

James "BoneCrusher" Smith 20 - first to beat Tyson

Nate Campbell supposedly 24

And at 26 not all boxers start to go downhill. Some boxers are successful at older ages though obvioulsy not at their peak - George Foreman, world heavyweight champion at 45, had his last at 48.

Archie Moore fought until he was 50.

Bernhard hopkins is 42.

the list goes on

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo_Child View Post
                  thanks, which style did you do? i did Goju Ryu and recently started learning Wing Chun (which is brilliant btwi absolutely love it lol)
                  i did shotokan, the most sissy form of karate i think lol, it was semi contact so i wasn't really used to get puncht to my face.

Comment

Ruslan Chagaev also started at the age of 20 with boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X